NGD:Gibson Collector's Choice #43 .....2017 58 Mick Ralphs Les Paul

landguitar

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Great looker. I have been tempted by these. Thanks for the details - too heavy for my, I try to stay in the mid-8's, which limits my choices unfortunately, and the neck size sounds/measures a bit big for my smaller hands. I can get around fine on most '59's and my '56's and '57; my '56 P-90 is probably the closest to your neck size and I don't want to duplicate that.
Congrats though, it sure looks great!

porterburst

Reaction score
Great looker. I have been tempted by these. Thanks for the details - too heavy for my, I try to stay in the mid-8's, which limits my choices unfortunately, and the neck size sounds/measures a bit big for my smaller hands. I can get around fine on most '59's and my '56's and '57; my '56 P-90 is probably the closest to your neck size and I don't want to duplicate that.
Congrats though, it sure looks great!

I haven't measured the neck myself, just went off the specs supplies, but I've owned many LP's, and the neck on my Ralphs is not big as all.

It's more on the smaller 59 LP side of things.

It's also pretty light weight, and really wouldn't want it much lighter. In general I've found heavier LP's to sound good, but very midrange heavy, while lighter LP's seem to have more air and snap.

Again, this is a generalization, but I've owned a lot of LP's, and this has been my personal experience.

Pictures were taken with a camera, but nothing special at all. Was all about the getting the lighting right.

Last edited:

porterburst

Reaction score
Being a huge Mick Ralphs fan naturally I just love that guitar. Play it in good health!!

Thanks!

Was playing it for about two hour this morning and it just sings. It's an outstanding guitar that's a lot of fun to play.

I think the flame top is pretty close to Micks original Burst as well.

Last edited:

BBD

Reaction score
What constitutes an absolutely NICE lester is a personal thing. And that Mick Ralphs is just - for me - about as nice as it gets. Top *and* back, ageing and what you say about tone and neck profile... You ever want to sell that thing, you let me know.

tspoon5150

Reaction score
Nice looking Aging and color. The neck is just about right with those
dimensions.

Congrats

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
IIRC a couple of years ago someone was selling what they advertised as one of Ralphs' LPs. I think it had a Bigsby on it. Anyone else remember that, or did I take a bad hit of acid?

porterburst

Reaction score

Here's another shot of my 2017 58 Rolph with my Bassbreaker 007 combo I just picked up. Killer little amp with many classic rock and blues tones.

Swapped in a vintage 12AX7 in V1, and it smoothed the amp out across the board. Really sweet and warm with a very balanced eq.

Sounds amazing through my Carr Skylark as well.

Last edited:

Luboy

Reaction score
why does the bridge look different from most Gibson abr-1s? it seems to have more rounded ends and different saddles. is it aged this way, is it more historically accurate or what? i've seen some like this one on regular models, but very rarely.