NGD Gibson Adam Jones LP Standard

wjlim22

Reaction score
Received the Adam Jones Standard last week. I like Tool, but not a huge fan. I've never seen them live. This Standard checked all the boxes for me no matter the Adam Jones sig. I like the antique silverburst finish, the throwback 70's volute, the ebony fretboard, the high gain bridge pickup. The metal switch tip and symbol on the back of the headstock are a nice bonus. The case is actually really nice. I love how the buckles are blacked out and the logo looks more modern. Easy decision for me to pick one of these up. I own a 2010 silverburst custom and I've included some comparison pics.

Don't listen to the people who think this is a downgrade from the AJ Silverburst Customs. It's a totally different guitar. This thing is a beast. I think people should play one before criticizing this monster. If you like high gain rock, metal, etc., you need to try this guitar. Plays great with super low action. It has more versatility than any other Standard. It looks like a Les Paul, but can play like a fast shredder. It's one of the easiest playing Standards I've played. The neck sounds and feels like a Custom but the body is a Standard. If all the runs of this guitar are as good as the one I have, this guitar will be very hard to get for years. It's gonna go down as one of their best production run standards ever.

Would be great to hear what other people's thoughts are about it from anyone else who has had a chance to try it.

20220401_195959.jpg
20220401_200013.jpg
20220401_205840.jpg
20220401_205858.jpg
20220401_210022.jpg
20220401_194320.jpg
20220402_090236.jpg
20220402_092906.jpg

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Congrats! Looks amazing. I promised myself no more new guitars for at least a year since I went crazy and got two Les Pauls, an SG Special and my LP junior over the last year and a half. But I’ll be damned, this silver burst is testing my resolve lol. Can only buy one if I sell one now…some tough decisions may need to be made if I decide to get this. Part of me is really hoping I try one out and don’t love it…for my own good. :rofl:

Last edited:

Der_Kaiser

Reaction score
It really is a looker, I’m glad you’ve found such a good one.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really nice looking guitar!

When I heard they were going to make a more affordable alternative to the AJ Silverburst Custom, I was praying it would be a USA Custom Lite version. I would have bought it in a heartbeat if it was. Not that there's anything wrong with the ole Standard, but I've been very vocal about wanting Gibson to do another run of Custom Lites. The used market is outrageous for Lites, some folks asking $5k on Reverb for a non-CS Les Paul Lite that was half the price brand new 6 years ago. Come on Gibson, give us the Lite!!!

metalmike222

Reaction score
This one is at the tippy top of my want list. I've wanted a Silverburst since I first saw one back in the 90s, but I've never managed to get one. I think it's finally time to make that dream come true.

richedie

Reaction score
I am leaning toward getting one. What's the upper fret access like?

wjlim22

Reaction score
I am leaning toward getting one. What's the upper fret access like?

It's the same as any other standard. I've had LP Moderns and HPs that had the smooth neck carve and it didn't really make a huge difference for me. So it's not that big of a deal for me.

richedie

Reaction score
Ok cool, good to know! What's the HP?

So the Modern wasn't easier to solo up high? I know what you mean, I've played LPs for years and it's fine as is. I got used to it. I will say that my PRS SC is nice though on thr neck heel.

But some guys swear that fat neck heel ads to the tone. Not sure, my PRS is one of the biggest sounding guitars I've played and it's light with that modern neck heel carve.

I have a PRS SC250 and love the easy upper fret access compared to my LP Standard which I love as well.

Gibson tells me the Adam Jones has his special neck heel carve for technical players. No clue what they are talking about.

I'd love to get one and add jumbo frets.

What makes this one play so fast as you mentioned? You said it plays like a shredder? I mean my LP Standard plays super low and fast. What is special about the AJ that makes it so fast and versatile? The ebony fretboard is cool though!

I have my Standard with really low buzz free action and it plays fast too.

Was the case included I hope?

Last edited:

Jungle

Reaction score
Very nice Les Paul, congrats !

Where are made those new cases ?

20220401_194320-jpg.601036

wjlim22

Reaction score
Ok cool, good to know! What's the HP?

So the Modern wasn't easier to solo up high? I know what you mean, I've played LPs for years and it's fine as is. I got used to it. I will say that my PRS SC is nice though on thr neck heel.

But some guys swear that fat neck heel ads to the tone. Not sure, my PRS is one of the biggest sounding guitars I've played and it's light with that modern neck heel carve.

I have a PRS SC250 and love the easy upper fret access compared to my LP Standard which I love as well.

Gibson tells me the Adam Jones has his special neck heel carve for technical players. No clue what they are talking about.

I'd love to get one and add jumbo frets.

What makes this one play so fast as you mentioned?

I have my Standard with really low buzz free action and it plays fast too.

The low action and medium frets with the smooth ebony board are what make this one play fast for me. It came witih super low action out of the box.

The HP is the High Performance series. They don't make them anymore.

richedie

Reaction score
The low action and medium frets with the smooth ebony board are what make this one play fast for me. It came witih super low action out of the box.

The HP is the High Performance series. They don't make them anymore.
Cool, wonder how it would feel with some nice jumbo frets, like a shredder. :)

richedie

Reaction score

I'm seeing other guys coming with a different case so it may vary which case you get. I like the black one and not the Adam Jones case, personally.

My fault, I was looking at the Custom Shop case.

InTheEvening

Reaction score

Not sure about the silverburst case but most of the standard cases seem to be either made in Canada, Costa Rica, or China. The black case in this photo looks like Costs Rica from the latches if I were to guess, but not sure.

Latest Threads