NGD: Gibson Acoustic

Matt_21

Reaction score
For the last while I have been wondering if there was a better sounding acoustic than my Martin D28.
So, I listed it locally for trade only. I listed guitars I was willing to try (other D28s, D18s, D35, J45s, etc.) and waited to see who was interested.
I had a lot of replies...lots for Mexican made Martins and some 3 for 1 trades etc. The usual kijiji/craigslist crap. But, I wanted something comparable in value and something that sounded better to me.
I played a really nice J-180 Custom but it had no volume. It sounded like it was covered by a blanket.
I had another guy, a young kid, bring by a 1973 Gibson Hummingbird Custom. I was excited because I let go of a 74 'bird that I really regret selling. The 73...what a disaster. It looked really nice. Lots of mojo. Until I saw the issues. Bad bow in the neck (which had supposedly been just reset), some kind of putty between the body and neck joint, a filled hole from where a pickup had been attempted to be added. Repaired headstock break. And it sounded dead. Again...no volume, notes all ran together...Needless to say, I passed.
Then I found it...I was offered a Gibson J-100 XT from 2002. The guy brought it over and it had (has) the sound. I played it and really liked it. Then I had him play the D28 and the J-100 side by side...the J-100 sounded much better. More clarity, more volume, just what I was hoping for.
I did the trade and now I own this great sounding J-100 XT. And the maple on the back and side...WOW! Especially the sides. Some great flame happening. I'll try and add a pic of that later.
j100.jpeg

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really nice, congrats and HNGD :applause:

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always loved the J-100 xtra. Congrats!

Matt_21

Reaction score
I've always loved and wanted a J-200. This is an unblinged version.
I love the shape. I love the moustache bridge. And on this guy (guy because of the mustache...no one wants a woman with a moustanche) I love the toanz!!!

I've named him....Hank