NGD for a 29 year old novice - Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-III

GalacticaActual

Reaction score
I couple of years ago I purchased an Ultra-339 Ltd in Pelham Blue. I never played it and decided to finally pick it up and learn.
Guitar-11.jpg

A couple of frustrating weeks later, I found out that the neck is crooked and was a factory mistake. After sending it to Gibson/Epiphone, they informed me that it was not fixable, and that they didn't have an exact replacement. A few emails later they send send confirmation of a shipment of the other guitar I almost bought, the Les Paul Ultra-III (same features). I received it last week:
Les-Paul-42-Edit.jpg

I immediately took it to a local music store with a highly regarded guitar tech and had it set up. As I mentioned, I'm a complete novice to guitar and I am using Rocksmith for PS3 as a learning tool. As such, I purchased some DR Neon 9 gauge strings that are color-coded to match the game's presentation. I got it back today! And took the pickguard off... not sure, but I might prefer that:
Guitar-4-2.jpg

LPofBorg

Warranty Voider
Reaction score
Fine instrument! And very versatile. I'll admit to having been looking at these recently. The Nanomag is a big selling feature to me as we bounce from acoustic to electric stuff and the acoustic simulator, while pretty neat, just doesn't get the exact sound I'm looking for. Enjoy, and HNGD!
get-attachment.gif

Preacher403

Reaction score
Nice guitar! I figure the colored strings aren't worth it for Rocksmith, because if you're watching the note highway, you aren't looking at the strings. So you'll have to memorize the strings anyhow :)

Happy Rocksmithing!

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Nice git! now go play til your fingers hurt!

congrats!!!

LPofBorg, rake a listen to [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_1nXg53xwI"]this[/ame]

GalacticaActual

Reaction score
Nice guitar! I figure the colored strings aren't worth it for Rocksmith, because if you're watching the note highway, you aren't looking at the strings. So you'll have to memorize the strings anyhow

It does help for a quick glance while you're still learning finger placement and developing muscle memory for string distance. I can already see where there will soon be diminishing returns on how useful they will be.

Thanks for the feedback, all!

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!
Happy NGD and welcome to the MLP :)

LPofBorg

Warranty Voider
Reaction score
Nice git! now go play til your fingers hurt!

congrats!!!

LPofBorg, rake a listen to this

LOL. Same one I've got on my board! Like I said, it's a dandy, but I went from playing an actual acoustic (piezo) on a stand onstage with a reversed A/B box to do what we do. It was superior sound... but at 51 years of age, I'm just not that athletic anymore to be stomping and switching off like that! :laugh2:

Bytor1958

Reaction score
HNGD!!! Yes your fingers will HURT like all get out. Don't stop as you need to get calluses built up. Also be careful not to over due it, you can cause damage to yourself. Wrists, elbows and fingers. If they start hurting slow down a bit. Other than that, have at it and have fun.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Hi,

welcome here @ MLP

:wave:

Congrats on the Ultra-III

:applause:

wwit

Reaction score
Grats :thumb:

Pretty cool of Epi to replace the guitar for you. :fingersx:

MrJudd77

Reaction score
Way to do customer service Epiphone. Replacement after a couple of years.
Hope the new Ultra is as good as it looks.
Rocksmith is brilliant to start the learning process, I have been doing the same here with my T+.
How are the colored strings working for you? I did think about going that route but decided on some nano webs instead.
Rock on

xland

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new guitar!! It's never too late to learn to play guitar, I'm 46 and picked up the guitar for the first time last May. I still have a long way to go but if you would have told me that I would be where I am today in my development shortly after I started I wouldn't have believed you.

It's the hardest thing that I have tried to do but it is also the most rewarding as I continue to make progress. It's just a ton of fun. I can't imagine not playing guitar now. I pick it up everyday.

HNGD and enjoy the journey!!!

GalacticaActual

Reaction score
Way to do customer service Epiphone. Replacement after a couple of years.
Hope the new Ultra is as good as it looks.
Rocksmith is brilliant to start the learning process, I have been doing the same here with my T+.
How are the colored strings working for you? I did think about going that route but decided on some nano webs instead.
Rock on

Gibson/Epiphone's customer service is every bit as good as I had heard. Over the last week, I've noticed the biggest help from the colored strings is quickly finding the D or G string during a song, whereas I can find the rest easily enough. How long have you been learning guitar? How has your progress been?

Parasite68

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new guitar!! It's never too late to learn to play guitar, I'm 46 and picked up the guitar for the first time last May. I still have a long way to go but if you would have told me that I would be where I am today in my development shortly after I started I wouldn't have believed you.

It's the hardest thing that I have tried to do but it is also the most rewarding as I continue to make progress. It's just a ton of fun. I can't imagine not playing guitar now. I pick it up everyday.

HNGD and enjoy the journey!!!

I'm 46 myself and I'm a testament to practicing at least 10 minutes a day and most of all having fun with it and enjoying it! I'm pretty much self taught thanks to YouTube and Marty Schwartz and others. I can't see living life without guitars now!

Parasite68

Reaction score
HNGD! That is one beautiful replacement! Don't worry about being a twenty nine year old novice! Practice each day, make it fun, even if you only spend 10 minutes a day. I reccomend learning small simple songs that have you playing nf then essential basic chords you're gonna need such as G,Am,D,F,C,A. Those chords I just listed are in about every somg you hear on the radio! I promise!
Congrats and enjoy this wonderful hobby and take welcome to and take advantage of MLP and all that it has to offer. These guys on this site are the best in the world and will help you with anything you need! :wave:

scrumm21

Reaction score
I'm 58 and started learning the guitar last August. Practice 4-5 times a week for about 45 - 60 mins at a time. Having LOTS of fun. Use Rocksmith 2014 once a week - otherwise Andy Crowley on youtube for now...

Attachments

• 2015-05-10 17.02.16.jpg
    2015-05-10 17.02.16.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 2015-05-11 14.09.23.jpg
    2015-05-11 14.09.23.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 41

Latest Threads