NGD - First proper Les Paul purchase

mjross

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post, long time lurker here. I finally pulled the trigger on my first Gibson Les Paul. Been mostly playing Epiphone - most recently the Joe Bonamassa Lazarus.

I went with a Wildwood Guitars hand selected Honeyburst. Lance helped me out and it was the best experience I've ever had buying a new guitar. I can't recommend them enough. Lance not only sent me additional pictures under different lighting of different options, but also told me the sound characteristics of each as well. I chose this beautiful 9lb 4oz baby.

I will add my own photos when the guitar arrives. I look forward to being a part of the Les Paul community :)
Those Wildwood guitars do look nice, congrats!

VDeuce

Reaction score
The Wildwood Select Honeybursts are super nice; I bought one a couple weeks back and I love mine. Congrats!

crazytrain513

Reaction score
Congrats! I worked with Lance last month. first time buying from Wildwood and had a fantastic experience with customer service many other places could learn from. Ended up returning because I didn’t bond with the guitar and even then he was very understanding and helpful.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Congratulations and enjoy for long :)

1allspub

Reaction score
That's a looker for sure! Can't go wrong with HB Congrats and HNGD!!!!!!!

DaveSG

Reaction score
Congratulations! I bet it sounds as great as it looks - fantastic!

TomLuck

Reaction score
Thanks for the love everybody!

She was delivered yesterday afternoon and completely met all my expectations. I couldn't stop playing it all night so I didn't get a chance to take many photos, I will take more this weekend.

First Impression - That smell! I get now what folks are talking about.

Second Impression - this guitar looks and feels better than any guitar I've ever experienced. I've probably bought and sold around 40 guitars over the last 10 years - Mostly various mexican fenders, squiers, epiphones and PRS se models. Those guitars are all great, but this one truly feels like a piece of art. That top looks so much better in person!

3rd Impression - the setup and playability are just outstanding. I don't know if it was Wildwood's setup or that these guitars are "Plek'd" but I've never unboxed a brand new guitar and heard each note ring out this well. Even comparing it to my Epiphone JD Lazarus, the Epi has quite a few dead spots on the fingerboard even though I have the action set higher than the Gibson.

Plugged in - Sounds absolutely amazing through my Fender Princeton Reverb 1x12. This amp has stage 1 power tubes so it has very little head room so it gets an awesome slight breakup tone at 3-4 on the volume with humbuckers. When I hit the wampler tumnus it sounds so good for an medium gain sound. For soloing I hit the JHF1 fuzz face and El Cap Delay + neck pickup = Pure bliss.

Conclusion - this guitar purchase was a big deal for me. I have never spent over 1k on a guitar so dropping 3k gave me a lot of anxiety. I plan to sell my Epiphone JB along with 3-4 others to fund this purchase. Part of me was worried that I would not want to sell that many guitars to fund one but after the experience I've had after just one day I have zero hesitation now. This guitar will become my everyday driver, I didn't spend 3k for it to sit in its case and I can't see myself wanting to pick up any of the other guitars to play for a very long time. I'm so thankful my wife supported me with this purchase.

I plan to name this beautiful honeyburst guitar "Bee" after my favorite Tom Petty song - I may even get a custom truss rod cover. It was the first riff I played when I plugger her in.

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 9

Latest Threads