NGD-First Les Paul

DIMAIO90

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm new to the forum. I've always wanted a les paul but could never afford it. Just pulled the trigger. Took a gamble and ordered a brand 2019 standard 60s from Guitar Center and had it shipped to my house. The guitar looks, sounds and plays awesome. All I had to do was adjust the truss rod- too much relief. When I change the strings I'll take the treble action up a bit and bass action down a bit.

There's only a few blemishes. Wanted to get your input on whether these are just normal for standard production Les Paul or if I should talk to my sales person about these.

1) 12th fret inlay has a little chip.

2) Treble side of neck joint there's some marring in the finish extending from edge of pickguard to edge of cut away

3) Bass side neck joint something going on with the finish.

4) I specifically asked the vendor for a new never on display guitar. There was no plastic on the pickups or tuners. Not an issue in any way I'm just trying to figure out if this may have been on display. Or does Gibson not put plastic on these components?

I know these are only minor things. It's just that I'll probably never buy a $2,500 guitar ever again. What do you guys think? Normal in a production guitar? Am I being too picky or should I be entitled to some sort of credit for the blemishes or swap to a mint guitar?

Attachments

integra evan

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on your first LP.
If you like the way it plays, get some credit back. If those blemishes are going to bother you, swap it for a different guitar. As far as the plastic goes, Gibson doesn't put it on the pickups or tuners...only the pickguard, which I see is still on there.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on your first LP.
If you like the way it plays, get some credit back. If those blemishes are going to bother you, swap it for a different guitar. As far as the plastic goes, Gibson doesn't put it on the pickups or tuners...only the pickguard, which I see is still on there.
Agreed.

How is the guitar to play? Does it have that something special? Magic mojo? I'd so, keep it.

mfranzdorf

Reaction score
Unacceptable. Return it and get a different one, unless it plays so magically that you can forget the blems. The fact that you are asking tells me that you aren't happy.
Blemishes happen and things do get through QC, but at that price I wouldn't accept it.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
With GC, asking for an unmolested guitar goes in one ear and out the other and they ship what they have. In this case I don't think it was a demo, but it does look a little rough around the edges. Maybe a factory second, in which case Guitar Denter probably gets a discount and then does their best to get full price for it.

Personally I'd swap that one out and ask them to look the new one over good for any issues so you don't go thru the same thing all over again. There's nothing hugely wrong with that one, it just has a few too many cosmetic flaws for a $2500 guitar. Being GC you should be able to order the new one to, and do the swap at your local store :)

Good luck with it whatever you decide :)

LocoTex

Reaction score
Send it back. That is unacceptable condition when you paid full price.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Welcome to MLP, and congrats on your first LP!
I agree with everyone - if it has something really special about it, I'd ask for a credit of some level, otherwise I'd send it back. GC is infamous for selling what they have in stock rather than what you actually asked for. Part of the reason I usually buy from Sweetwater

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I purchased a new SG Junior recently from Sweetwater,.... the finish was flawless, not a single blemish. If Gibson can hit the mark on a instrument at half the costs of your LP, I am sure you can find one that will meet your requirements. Don't settle if you feel you didn't get your monies worth. Buying online is a gamble,... but at least you can have a do-over. Make GC earn your money.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
This is the reason I don’t buy from Guitar Center. The only way I would buy from them is if I can inspect the guitar first and take it home, then bring it back if there’s a problem. But I did that once, and ended up going through three guitars before I got a good one. The two they tried to give me were floor models with serious problems. You return one to them and they made a call to another store and get one of that store’s returns.

You can get a good one from Guitar Center. You just need to work at it a bit or be lucky enough to encounter a magical one hanging on the wall.

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Send it back and buy from Sweetwater. GC is notorious for shipping buyers floor demos as new guitars. A buddy of mine received a Strat from them “brand new” with dings, scratches and a broken tuner. He sent it back and bought from Sweetwater and is very happy now.

jaycoyoyo

Reaction score
QC issues are always a divisive topic. Personally, I wouldn't sweat it, but that's just me.

-Jay

lpfan1980

Reaction score
If you love the guitar keep it if not send it back and ask for one in mint condition ANYWAY CONGRATS!:headbanger:

DIMAIO90

Reaction score
All, thanks for your input and warm welcomes. I Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t crazy for even noticing these things.

I actually want to say I’m pleased with GC so far. I placed the order online. Went with GC because of 48 month interest free. I know seeetwater and others have this deal as well at other times.

I got a call a few days after ordering from the local store to give me a heads up they’d be fulfilling my order and asked if that would be okay-even offered a discount. Since I was close I went in and checked out the floor model which wasn’t for me. They helped me on the spot order this one from another GC store and assured me it was new in box. I believe them. There wasn’t a finger print/scratch/scuff on it. I am noticeing some of the other inlays have issues- looks like holes in fretboard cut imperfectly.

I let my inside guy at GC know about this. I’ll give it a few days to see if I bond with it before pressing for them to send a new one. I’ll elt you know how it turns out

rjwilson37

Reaction score
+1 on the I wouldn't sweat it, pretty much all guitars have an issue of some sort anyway. If none of that affects how it plays/feels and sounds and it feels great to you, I would not worry about it.

Congrats, that is a really nice looking guitar. Are you sure it's a 60's neck, looks a little thick to me from the full guitar picture.

JMP

Reaction score
Congrats OP on the first LP purchase. I’m saving my pennies for new Gibson LP Standard too (that’ll be my first non Epiphone LP).

This thread raises an issue I’ve often considered- the only brick and mortar store within a 2 hour drive of where I live that is a Gibson dealer is Guitar Center. I hate GC and don’t want to give them my money. Gibson has very few smaller dealers. That just stinks for buyers who avoid the big box stores and prefer to try before buying. Guess I’ll have to make a road trip to NYC, Boston or New Haven to shop when I’m ready to buy. I suspect other parts of the US have the same challenge. Rant over.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
The standard 60s is an absolute beast....perfect

Its like getting a Porsche 911 for your first car....

‘very happy for you

-Chris

sibyrpunk

Reaction score
Send it back, don’t accept poor quality, you pay to much for that crap!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I looked over your pictures above and I would definitely have to really look over my guitars to see if I have any blemishes, since I never really looked them over that closely. I receive them, give them a quick one over on how nice the top is, then I just Plug in and Play for awhile. That's all that really matters to me for the most part, does it look good and play/sound like a beast!

I paid 5k for my Custom and after the one over on how good it looks, I just plugged it in and have been playing it ever since. Definitely the best guitar I have every owned or purchased.

DIMAIO90

Reaction score
Here’s the latest:

I talked to my GC rep. He’s going to see what he can offer. I see Sweetwater demos are usually $250 off. So that’s what I asked for. And if I get that I’ll guve it time to bond with her-not a guarantee that I’ll stick with this one. Still might want to exchange if i can’t get this one to play exactly how I like with my own setup. I like to do my own setups and save myself $75-100. If Sweetwater comes or with 48 month financing and I find a top I like better might have to make the swap.

I noticed a few other things. There seems to be specs of black paint on the G in Gibson. On A few more fret inlays it seems they don’t fit perfectly. And a few minor indents here and there. The nut also isn’t cut the greatest-I know they usually aren’t.

Honestly in a year whatever les paul I end up with will have some minor scratches/dents.

Still haven’t had a chance to really play her a lot. I hid this purchase from my wife. I worked from home today so I could play a bit but had to play through headphones sparingly.

Tomorrow she’ll get a strong change and fill volume jam session.

My Les Paul Classifieds