NGD - First Gibson Les Paul! 2010 Traditional Goldtop

Mac92

Reaction score
A dream has come true! Being a massive Allman Brothers fan Goldtops have always held a special place in my heart. Now I have one, I can't believe it!

This is my First Gibson Les Paul. It's a 2010 Traditional. Second Gibson overall after my SG and I had an Epiphone Les Paul earlier in my playing days. This guitar just feels totally different and special.

You might have seen me posting about my short pursuit of this guitar in the Traditional thread. I mentioned in there that I wanted to clean it up and get some good pictures but after being overly excited at work all day I decided to take a couple quick(rather poor) pictures. This is partly due to the fact that I'm going to make some changes when I disassemble and clean it later tonight, so I wanted to document it in it's as received state.

20220105_182012.jpg

20220105_181823.jpg

For sure I will be taking the pickguard off and changing the switch tip to a historic amber one. Another certainty is changing the bridge over to a Tonepros nickel locking bridge that's currently on the SG.

Further possibilities are changing the tuners to Nickel Grovers which were one on the SG but caused neck dive. I also have black creamtone M69 pickup rings so there is the option to change to those too, but I'm undecided on that. Right now I just really want to get it cleaned, strung up, and play it!

mjross

Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with a Gold Top, congrats!

Mac92

Reaction score
Very nice guitar! I am not sure why you call pictures "poor" (?). I like the idea of the new switch tip, but -- if it were me (and it isn't) -- I would leave the pickguard, rings, and bridge alone.
Some of the pictures on here look like they were taken by professionals is all I really meant haha, poor wasn't the right word.

Mac92

Reaction score
This is how she stands, time to play... a lot.

20220105_211132.jpg

I removed the plastics to show the beautiful top. Held up the black pickup rings, the existing cream looks much better. Those won't be going on, maybe on a dark back it would it would look better. I think I'll get rid of the speed knobs at some point and switch to a blank truss rod cover. I'm a tinkerer by nature!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Congratulations on your find!

You've got nice plans for modifications.
I would suggest waiting before changing the tuners.
Do the other mods first and listen to it before going for Nickel Grovers.
Also, reflector knobs (à la 60's!) and a blank Truss Rod Cover are in order!

It's a beautiful guitar!
:thumb:

Edit: Just saw that the tuners are on already.

catstrat

Reaction score
Noone has ever gone wrong with a gold top. Nice LP for a first!

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how she stands, time to play... a lot.

View attachment 582451

I removed the plastics to show the beautiful top. Held up the black pickup rings, the existing cream looks much better. Those won't be going on, maybe on a dark back it would it would look better. I think I'll get rid of the speed knobs at some point and switch to a blank truss rod cover. I'm a tinkerer by nature!

I also tinker … can’t stop myself! How about an ABR-1 bridge conversion next?

Traditional+Goldtop=winner!

MP4-22

Reaction score
HNGD.... Id just change the tip or knobs if you like that. Gibsons are great from the factory.

Latest Threads