NGD: Firebird 2016 T

freddairy

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I posted on here. Last Gibson I had was a 2013 SG Original. When Gibson announced the 2016 Firebird T I had to have one. I can't believe I got this shipped to my door for just under $1000.

What is the catch?

I'm going to be using it through my Bandmaster and Magnavibe in Lonnie Mack/Travis Wammack style band I'm hoping to start up this year.

IMG_0231_zps9fbsjep6.jpg

IMG_0234_zpsuyasmxgp.jpg

Reaction score
Congratulations!
I know it sounds too inexpensive for a US made guitar! How is the neck on it? Are you keeping the p/u's stock? Does it neck dive? How heavy is it?

freddairy

Reaction score
I ordered one that was 7.5lbs. There were heavier and lighter options but this was pretty close to the weight of my Strat so I figured it would at least feel the same strap on my shoulder for a gig.

No neck dive! I had a 2013 SG original and a few '61 RI SGs that all had neck dive so this is nice.

Neck is pretty average 60s thin taper that Gibson uses today.
I'm a big guy with medium to large hands and it feels good.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
SWEET!
Believe it or not, there is NO catch!!
It's been one of the best playing/sounding Gibsons I've ever owned, regardless of year! And in fact brought me back to modern Gibsons, as I was stuck in the 70's for quite some time!

I could never conceive a Firebird at this price point....

Until one day I was at my favorite music store..

I had some stuff to trade in with the intent of scoring a new pedal, and walked out with one for CHEAP..

I just put steel TP studs and a set of 60's reflectors I had laying around, and boom! happy as hell with my new FB, and being a hard rock/heavy riffage type, the stock pickups are more than good with me!

I think they can keep the price down a lil by using the gig big, but a quick trip to ebay and I had a nice 70's case on the way..:naughty: (sorry for washed out pic..) The case is HUGE!

Congrats!!

77custom

Reaction score
SWEET!
Believe it or not, there is NO catch!!
It's been one of the best playing/sounding Gibsons I've ever owned, regardless of year! And in fact brought me back to modern Gibsons, as I was stuck in the 70's for quite some time!

I could never conceive a Firebird at this price point....

Until one day I was at my favorite music store..

I had some stuff to trade in with the intent of scoring a new pedal, and walked out with one for CHEAP..

I just put steel TP studs and a set of 60's reflectors I had laying around, and boom! happy as hell with my new FB, and being a hard rock/heavy riffage type, the stock pickups are more than good with me!

I think they can keep the price down a lil by using the gig big, but a quick trip to ebay and I had a nice 70's case on the way..:naughty: (sorry for washed out pic..) The case is HUGE!

Congrats!!

Watch those older cases, make sure the headstock is NOT touching the bottom of the case. That is how the headstock damage happens. Nice fiddle too!! You got a great deal on that.

Guitaraxe

Reaction score
Good point about the old cases. My 2013's case has about a 1 and 3/4 inch clearance from the case bottom and the low "E" Steinberger tuner.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
This case is fine.
There is a padded "ramp" which supports the headstock.
It's the 1963 cheap square cases+banjo tuners that were a problem.

STILL, I do watch what I'm doing. :naughty:

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
With brand-y new ones being 1100 delivered, I'm shocked the used prices have held.
My 2013 was 900 delivered. Used but mint with hard case.
That was before the $1100 ones hit and I thought the prices would drop further.
It seems like any $1100 guitar would go for 7 or 8, tops, used.
I guess they're already such a good deal, they don't lose much value.

Latest Threads