NGD - finally authentic again :)

vim

Reaction score
After having owned 7 different R* Gibsons until a couple of years ago, I´ve finally earned my right to make a post in this forum again.
I have still a lot of praise for Maybach, Tokai and a few other brands, but man - it feels good to be a part of the authentic community again :)
Been looking for a good sounding, not to fat necked, lemon-ish burst for a while now. Preferably a 2013, og´14 or model, as these are the years I consider being two of the absolutely best years/specs, and relatively decently priced compared to 2018-´21 models.
And then I found this...

Not the finish I was looking for, a little too fat neck (normal R8, but I´d prefer more the somewhat slimmer 59 profile), but the price was right, so I went to give it a try.

And the sound!

It is a very woody, full sounding guitar. Warm, but punchy and chimey, nice and "airy" top. Perfect balance between my custombuilt (by me)´59 clone, which is bright and in you face, and a very heavy and warm/dark sounding´58 clone from the 80´s that I also have.
I left the seller trying not show too obviously that I found the guitar a steal for that price :)

But the Custombuckers (potted) ??? They are simply not for me! Replaced them with Tyson Tone Preacher neck, and Monty´s PAF in the bridge, and the differrence is night and day. "Blanket lifted off the amp" and all that. Pots are between 502k and 539k, and will probably stay. Fake Bumblebees replaced with NOS PIO K40Y (.022).

ABR-1 is original, I´ve replaced the stoptail with a Faber one I had lying around, and both are slightly aged (using hydrocloric acid) to match the pickups. Guitar finish is otherwise gloss. Wonder how long it will take before I throw it in the freezer after a nice, warm sunbath for a little DIY Murphying...
There is also a good amount of bleeding on the neck binding, which does not bother me at all. Some of it will wear off, as it allready has where I have smoothed the edge a little.
IMG_6213.jpg
IMG_6214.jpg
IMG_6215.jpg
IMG_6217.jpg

KS 5150

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar! What year is this one? HNGD!

Dilver

Reaction score
Looks great and I dig the mods. Congrats!

Gryphon

Reaction score
Before you throw it in the freezer :oops: for aesthetic reasons do think about how that will stress the neck due to the trussrod, etc.

Reactions: vim

vim

Reaction score
Before you throw it in the freezer :oops: for aesthetic reasons do think about how that will stress the neck due to the trussrod, etc.
You’re probably right, and it will anyhow take a while to build guts to do any kind of permanent mods on this one. Then again, with covid restrictions and very few gigs, natural aging will take 90 years or so

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
But the Custombuckers (potted) ??? They are simply not for me! Replaced them with Tyson Tone Preacher neck, and Monty´s PAF in the bridge, and the differrence is night and day. "Blanket lifted off the amp" and all that.
Wow, interesting. CBs are such inherently bright pickups. Saying that you swapped them out and it was like a "blanket lifted off the amp" makes me curious about other factors - height adjustment, the rest of your setup, etc.

I'm glad you're happy though - that's one beautiful Lester!

vim

Reaction score
Wow, interesting. CBs are such inherently bright pickups. Saying that you swapped them out and it was like a "blanket lifted off the amp" makes me curious about other factors - height adjustment, the rest of your setup, etc.

I'm glad you're happy though - that's one beautiful Lester!
In my experience, the CB vary quite a bit. I´ve played ones that I loved too. These were not at all bad, but Monty´s and Tyson are still significant upgrades.
And yes, I tried everything from 1,5-5mm height and poles flat and high. As I allways do :)

Latest Threads