NGD Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster Eric Clapton EC Grey Limited Edition

Dilver

Reaction score
Congrats! The color is fantastic.

How do you feel now that the hunt is over? And will this one get played or is it more of a collector’s item? I don’t think I could help myself.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Congratulations Crotch. :dude: I love the colour.

I've noticed your signature on other threads and your impressive list of EC Strats. Does it have the mid boost/TBX tone circuit in it? I just fitted a kit to my JV Squier and I'm amazed at the range of tones I can get out of it now. I'm sorely tempted to get a 'proper' EC Strat now as I probably ought to put my JV back to standard...

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Congrats! The color is fantastic.

How do you feel now that the hunt is over? And will this one get played or is it more of a collector’s item? I don’t think I could help myself.
Everything gets played. I'm just a basement player so nothing really has a chance at getting ruined and I have my #1 which is a 96 regular custom shop Strat if I take guitars out to rarely play a song or 2 out with friends.

Besides, they're probably only "collectible" to me.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Crotch. :dude: I love the colour.

I've noticed your signature on other threads and your impressive list of EC Strats. Does it have the mid boost/TBX tone circuit in it? I just fitted a kit to my JV Squier and I'm amazed at the range of tones I can get out of it now. I'm sorely tempted to get a 'proper' EC Strat now as I probably ought to put my JV back to standard...
Yes, they all have the tbx circuitry. I've always been drawn to being able to get humbuckers tones from a Strat if necessary

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
Congrats, bud. Your diligence definitely paid off.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Very Nice! Glad you finally scored one. I like the Daphne Blue one as well. Congrats!

Rando375

Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice Andy, real nice. Was real happy for you when that deal came together

The only downside to you finally finding the EC Grey is MLP no longer has a white whale to hunt for

James R

Reaction score
I’m late to the party, but I’m totally stoked for you, man!
Congratulations on rounding out your collection, and HNGD!

pmonk

Reaction score
Everything gets played. I'm just a basement player so nothing really has a chance at getting ruined and I have my #1 which is a 96 regular custom shop Strat if I take guitars out to rarely play a song or 2 out with friends.

Besides, they're probably only "collectible" to me.
In comparing the two, how do you compare a Custom shop to the 1970 Strat?

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
In comparing the two, how do you compare a Custom shop to the 1970 Strat?
Not comparable really. 7.25 radius on the 70, 9.5 on the claptons. Different pickups, completely different circuitry (tbx, dB boost) different finishes and neck profiles. Headstock. Weight. 3 way switch vs 5 way. They're so different I can't compare really.

pmonk

Reaction score
Not comparable really. 7.25 radius on the 70, 9.5 on the claptons. Different pickups, completely different circuitry (tbx, dB boost) different finishes and neck profiles. Headstock. Weight. 3 way switch vs 5 way. They're so different I can't compare really.
I know they are different, the point I was trying to make is are Fender Custom Shops "better' guitars?

Gilmour in explaining why he is auctioning off his guitars because he thinks the Fender guitars today are just as good (if not better)

I had a 1979 Strat. Loved the neck but hated everything else. Got a loaded 69 pickguard and a 70's reissue MIM body and the guitar is 100x better.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know they are different, the point I was trying to make is are Fender Custom Shops "better' guitars?

Gilmour in explaining why he is auctioning off his guitars because he thinks the Fender guitars today are just as good (if not better)

I had a 1979 Strat. Loved the neck but hated everything else. Got a loaded 69 pickguard and a 70's reissue MIM body and the guitar is 100x better.
I still unfortunately can't answer which is better. I have a 94 custom shop stratocaster that is my number 1. It's just a plain old white and maple guitar. I'm not sure if it's better. Keep in mind, the cbs era Fenders are not thought of as being great guitars. But like anything or any era, there are some real gems and real stinkers. Same goes for the custom shop, Gibson, etc. I just have a hard time making a blanket statement about "better".

pmonk

Reaction score
I still unfortunately can't answer which is better. I have a 94 custom shop stratocaster that is my number 1. It's just a plain old white and maple guitar. I'm not sure if it's better. Keep in mind, the cbs era Fenders are not thought of as being great guitars. But like anything or any era, there are some real gems and real stinkers. Same goes for the custom shop, Gibson, etc. I just have a hard time making a blanket statement about "better".
Well, IMO "better" is what you prefer to play (aka your # 1)

I know its subjective and I'm no professional but there are a few guitars that I keep out 24/7 and some sit in closets. Al exceptional guitars but a 1970-1974 era Stratocaster is something I always dreamed of owning but the reality is my EJ Strat with a EC soft V neck is probably all I will ever need.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, IMO "better" is what you prefer to play (aka your # 1)

I know its subjective and I'm no professional but there are a few guitars that I keep out 24/7 and some sit in closets. Al exceptional guitars but a 1970-1974 era Stratocaster is something I always dreamed of owning but the reality is my EJ Strat with a EC soft V neck is probably all I will ever need.
The main difference you're going to see on the 1970-74 is after 71 they went to a 3 bolt neck. It's less desirable for collectors, but not to say they're bad guitars.

Last edited: