NGD: Fender Classic 60s Jaguar Lacquer

Merkin

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've played Jazzmasters for decades, but never quite gotten around to getting a Jaguar. Anyway, this popped up at a decent price so I thought I'd give it a go.

It is a 2015 model, but has sat in the shop for most of the last five years (if you believe such things) and was from when Fender were putting nitro lacquer on their Mexican guitars, has the American AVRI pickups and comes with the hardcase. Pretty much mint condition.

All in all it is a nice surprise. I was really thinking that if I liked it I would go up -market and get an American model or maybe a vintage one, but I'm not sure I'll bother as it plays beautifully and I can't fault the fit or sound. It is definitely vintage spec rather than modern, so 7.5" radius, but I like that, so all is cool. No problems with strings popping out of the bridge as I put 11s on it and it has had a Mustang bridge put on already anyway.

To be honest, the only thing that grates is that the 'vintage' lacquer on the neck and headstock is very yellow and I must admit Fiesta Red wouldn't have been my first choice, but it is better 'in-the-wood' than it looks here.

Worth a punt if you see one and fancy something offset.

IMG_1485.jpg

Jaguar.jpg

RocketKing

Reaction score
Congratulations on your ngd Merkin!
I love Jaguars although I don't own one (would love a surf green American original though - one day!)
I was bitten by the Fender bug last year and I'm really into them now.
Those classic series instruments were solid builds for sure. The nitro finish is a very nice bonus for me. Plus the rosewood fingerboard is just so much better looking than the current Pau ferro boards it's not even funny imho.
I tried a couple of Classic Series Strats and was positively impressed, except for the pickups. OK but not special.
Fiesta red is such a classic finish, it's got a real upbeat vibe to it and I think it really goes well with the Jags character.
Nice score!
What music do you play with it?

Merkin

Premium Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your ngd Merkin!
I love Jaguars although I don't own one (would love a surf green American original though - one day!)
I was bitten by the Fender bug last year and I'm really into them now.
Those classic series instruments were solid builds for sure. The nitro finish is a very nice bonus for me. Plus the rosewood fingerboard is just so much better looking than the current Pau ferro boards it's not even funny imho.
I tried a couple of Classic Series Strats and was positively impressed, except for the pickups. OK but not special.
Fiesta red is such a classic finish, it's got a real upbeat vibe to it and I think it really goes well with the Jags character.
Nice score!
What music do you play with it?
Cheers man :)

I've always been more of an indie / alternative player, but in recent times I've been moving more toward blues and some jazz. I expected the indie stuff would be fine, but I must admit the jazzy stuff is coming across really well using a Vox AC30 and a simple boost. Not so hot for screaming blues lead, obviously. I guess the pickups are nice and clean and that takes you a long way.

Bang on for Johnny Marr, it has to be said :)

moreles

Reaction score
That yellowed lacquer is Fender's attempt to fake a full nitro finish when what they mostly do is poly finish the guirar and then spray a couple of nitro coats on top of that. Adding yellow to the nitro accentuates the illusion of an old, full nitro finish. The way Fenders are built, Idon't think the semi-bogus nitro treatment is a detriment. At least they're spraying them thinly. I like tht Fiesta Red and the yellowed neck as well, so I hope you get used to it. I love the way Jags look but wow do I wish the scale length was .75" longer!

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar! And love the color!

I just never could figure out what all the extra switches and dials were for.

I figure if I can totally screw up my tone with a two knob Jr., I can have some serious fun with that!

:rofl:

Latest Threads