NGD: Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster - Surf Green

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
I couldn't take it any longer. I used to have an AVRI '62 Jazzmaster that I absolutely loved but I moved it in a larger gear acquisition trade. The net result was a beautiful Fender Bassman rig and some other odds and ends, but...I was left without my lovely AVRI '62.

In comes Fender, offering up a MIM Jazzmaster, nitro body and neck, vintage correct specs, AVRI '65 pickups, surf green (my favorite color) and a hardshell case for under $1,000. Are you kidding me? I did some quick Google searches and found nothing but positive reviews on this guitar. I couldn't resist any longer so I pulled the trigger and got a nice little discount at Musicians Friend.

I just received the guitar and I have to say, I've had plenty of NGD's in my life: I own several Gibsons, USA Fenders and Gretches as well as some newer USA G&L guitars and even a kick butt Chinese Epi 339 P90 PRO, but out of all my NGD days, this MIM Jazzy just blows me away. The instant I opened up the hard shell case and got a whiff of that new Nitro smell and saw the gorgeous finish on this guitar, I knew I had a winner. The fretwork is some of the best "off the line" work I've yet to see on any guitar, US guitars included. The finish is spectacular, the intonation is spot on and I couldn't set the action any more perfect than it already is. The neck feels just a smidge thinner (not much) than my old AVRI but other than that, you'd be hard pressed to tell the two guitars apart if you were playing them blind-folded (they even buzz and rattle exactly the same LOL). The AVRI '65 pickups are very nice. I actually prefer these '65's to the AVRI '62's that I had. They have a little more meat to them and are not as bright as the '62's. This guitar sounds amazing through my '67 Bassman.

I'm also impressed with the quality of the hardware on this guitar. The tuners are very smooth and accurate, the bridge is...well...a Jazzmaster bridge (fine for now but will probably swap out for Staytrem). The tremolo unit is nice, I do wish it had the locking feature but then again, the cost of an upgraded trem unit is negligible and I may or may not swap it out. The switches, pots and pickup selector are all nice quality and don't feel "cheap" what-so-ever. The case is also a pleasant surprise, it's solid in construction and will serve it's purpose very well. I gig and record regularly and feel like this case will work perfectly for my needs. It's just nice to get a case with a sub-$1,000 guitar these days.

Overall, Fender absolutely hit it out of the park with these guitars. For regular working musicians and/or serious hobbyists, the 60's lacquer Jazzmaster and Jags are a wonderful option. I simply can't find any faults in this guitar that are worth mentioning.

Here she is:
23988454654_9acd2fd5dc.jpg

acstorfer

Reaction score
That's groovy man!

Since getting my Jaguar I have new respect for these type of guitars

schoolie

Reaction score
Favorite color on my favorite model. Congratulations!

Matching headstock! It's worth the effort...just sayin...

redcoats1976

Reaction score
sweet! i bought a 50s style MIM strat in desert sand last saturday at the orlando guitar show.it also compares well to the AVRI 57 i sold a couple of years ago,probably having a 9.5 radius makes it easier to play for me.

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
I'm so impressed with this MIM guitar. I'm having a really hard time differentiating it from my old AVRI '62, it plays and feels exactly the same. Literally no difference what-so-ever. All the little quirks and intricacies are the same. I love these '65 pickups so much more than the '62's. That's a big plus in my opinion.

I keep trying to find something wrong with it, or something that I need to change, update, fix etc. etc. Man, I can't find anything. I typically take all my new guitars in for a basic clean up of the frets and nut etc, this one? I'm not even taking it in. It's good to go right out of the box. I hit all the saddle and bridge screws with loctite, reset the truss rod a little after it got acclimated, put a new set of 10's on it and off we went. It's a winner.

Comanche

Reaction score
I wish they would make a nitro Mustang. Nice axe I'll to give them a look.

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm still loving it. I put a set of 11-49's on there the other day and I have to say, I really remember how much I enjoyed heavier gauge strings on these Jazzmasters. It tightened the whole guitar up and it just booms. I didn't have to do any work to the nut, all I did was tighten the truss rod 1/8th of a turn. A quick adjustment of a few saddles for intonation and it's perfect.

There's so shim on these, I'm still debating if I need one. Right now, I'm happy with it as is. I think I have enough string tension over the bridge, my action is spot on and I don't have too much sympathetic bridge buzz and string rattle. I'm going to keep it as is for a few weeks and let it break in with how it's currently set up. It's a keeper.

Inland Bagpipe

Reaction score
I have the jaguar version of this guitar in the fiesta red, as well has a 65 Jazzmaster. Build quality wise, there is definitely a gap but one thing about both of them is that once you put a mastery bridge on they become MUCH more reliable playing live. I still don't totally gravitate to the Jag over the JM but that might only be because of the shorter scale. Even considering selling it on.

Dbnfmf0.jpg

efstop

I render not the posterior of a rodent
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my first Telecaster today, and a Jazzmaster in that color will be my next guitar :)

Tementnoise

Reaction score
Sweet, score. I've really had my eye on these lately, I don't have any Jazzmasters and I love surf green.

Tementnoise

Reaction score
Welp, got one of these coming Monday. Partially blaming this thread as well as my uncontrollable need to own too many guitars.(Ressurecting an old thread, I know I know)

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's a mighty fine looking fiddle

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
...glad to hear it Tementnoise! The "honeymoon" phase is way over by now and I still find myself constantly grabbing my Jazzy off the rack. I LOVE this guitar. It's a play for sure and am completely happy that I snagged it. Let us know what you think when you get yours.

Cheers!

Guitarhack

Reaction score
She's beautiful. I absolutely love the look of the surf green and the dark rosewood board.

Latest Threads