NGD ESP LTD MH 40th Anniversary

WhiskeyMike

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have several ESP guitars, and like all of them. This one promises to be something else, though. It is one of the limited run 40th Anniversary guitars. I like everything about its features, but have yet to lay hands upon it. Looks like two more days. All but one other ESP was bought sight unseen, the outlier being an EC 256 I bought at GC because it just felt and played far better than its price would suggest.

This one though:

When I get it I will post how it actually feels and plays. For now, just unbearable anticipation.
Sorry about the picture from Sweetwater, but it is all I have for now.

Z.K.

Reaction score
Nice one, finish looks sick in person. I just purchased one of these in the EC version, didn't actually do the NGD thead yet. I basically loosened the truss rod just a tiny bit, less than a quarter turn, lowered the action and it was good to go.

Tangerine

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Sweetwater pics, they take great ones! Congrats and HNGD!

WhiskeyMike

Reaction score
Thanks Tangerine and Z.K. Z.K., I am just envious that you got one in hand, but I must wait. Patiently.

I 'wanted' the Tiger Eye version, but none of my kids wanted to be sold off. Selfish little buggers.

Tangerine, they do good pics, don't they. And I think it is pretty cool that they send you the set of pictures of the specific serial number after they ship. It was funny, they picked this SN based on the finish and book match over the other three they had. I just followed their advice, they were into it.

WhiskeyMike

Reaction score
I just received the guitar and am posting a few pictures.

ESP20MH2040th20009_zpsnfffikwn.jpg

ESP%20MH%2040th%20008_zpshwtlxnom.jpg

ESP%20MH%2040th%20003_zpso90isrzd.jpg

ESP20MH2040th20001_zpsnmcxmrq4.jpg

ESP20MH2040th20004_zpsvwc77spz.jpg

Too early to play yet, it is still cold from shipping. Up to 51F now though.
My photographic skills suck, Sorry.

Z.K.

Reaction score
Awesome, the offset inlays look great, nice upper fret access there.

WhiskeyMike

Reaction score
I got the temperature stabilized overnight and got it out of the case. Probably too fussy, but I have never had a limited edition guitar before, and I have learned to be (a little) patient these last 66 plus years.

It had stock straplocks and I replaced them with Schaller locking straplocks as are on all my other guitars.

The guitar was in tune as received, and clean, but the action was kind of high for me, and there was a big gap between the strings and the EMG pickups, so I fixed that. I took the battery cover off and the cover over the controls. Both were shielded, foil on the plastic and paint in the cavity. A nice touch, maybe it needs it. Still, nice detail, no slop. The wiring job was very clean and neat.

I plugged it in about five hours ago and lost track of time. I like this guitar, it feels good and sounds great (just used the H&K Grandmeister 36 and Marshall 1960A so far). I had replaced the strings with NYXL's, and to me they sound perfect on this guitar; bu then I use them on most of my guitars. No fret buzz, nothing loose, knobs were on tight, locking tuners were done right, nice finish on the frets, no nut binding, nothing bad to report. I thought the painted neck would feel funny, but I was wrong; feels fine, satiny. I think it plays as nice as my E-II, and sounds better. I must like the sound of the EMG's.

If you want one of these guitars, grab one now - they look good and sound good. Maybe they are not so much different than a good LTD, but they do have a nice quilt and satin finish, and details that are just a cut above I think.

There are lots of nice guitars out there today. That hasn't always been the case. I am happy with this acquisition.

filtersweep

Reaction score
I have a MH 400-,it is a seriously great guitar. HNGD. I dare say the finish on it is better to Han on my LP Custom.

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
Never tried an ESP but I have several superstrats and was always curious about ESP from what I hear about them. Congrats and HNGD! ^ ^

rich85

Reaction score
Awesome HNGD! Something worth holding onto

WhiskeyMike

Reaction score
Never tried an ESP but I have several superstrats and was always curious about ESP from what I hear about them. Congrats and HNGD! ^ ^

Thank you YoshiJimbo. I am up at 4AM playing with it (like a fool).

ESP has many design series. I tend to like the Horizon series, although I have one EC single cutaway, kinda LP-ish. I like the Horizons (H-II) with the string though bodies, and either neck through or set-thru necks. I think the set-thru necks are mainly long neck tongue designs. This results in a neck heel that is unobtrusive and allows excellent high fret access. The LP Axcess is similar looking in design, neck joint-wise.

The ESP USA site is here, ESP USA Landing - The ESP Guitar Company, and clearly shows the EC, Horizon, and the M series at the top of the page - nice clear pictures showing the distinctions between the lines. But the set-thru neck is well described in a video below the top of the page.

This is a marketing video from ESP USA describing their 2015 offerings. At roughly mid page, you can find a video on the right side (at least today, things change). Jump to 4:45 to see the set-thru neck joint clearly. That USA Horizon -II in Natural is my likely next target for a guitar.

The low cost ESP LTD's are okay but nothing spectacular, no worse than anything else, maybe better than some. The mid-to high range LTD's are usually a good value. The ESP E-II's are Japanese manufactured and are usually quite a bit nicer than the LTD's in looks, finish, and sound. The ESP USA's are a cut above the E-II's, and the Japanese-made ESP Originals are superb. I am going to see if I can snag a picture from Sweetwater of one. Nope, this is from the ESP site:

92be4995-7553-4464-a194-9464316699ae_zpsu3v5kms2.png

I think this thing looks good, and it has all the right stuff.

Latest Threads