NGD - Eric Johnson Strat Question

Jupper

Reaction score
As a guy who only had Les Pauls, I decided to take a dive into the Strat World. The Eric Johnson Stratocaster seemed like the most fitting Strat to get with it's solid reputation and familiar 12 inch radius for Les Paul players. So I went to Guitar Center's website and bought one of the blemished versions at a discount. It has arrived today and man is it beautiful.
image0(1).jpeg

But it did come with a peculiarity. One of the main advertised features of the Eric Johnson Strat was that it moved the Tone 2 knob from the Middle pickup to the Bridge pickup. As I plugged the guitar into the amp, I found that the Tone 2 knob was wired to the Middle pickup instead of the Bridge like the vintage style. How that happened whether the previous owner changed the wiring before they returned it to GC or it came out of the factory like that, I don't know. I have no experience with the tones of a Strat but a quick google search shows that a lot of people preferred the EJ setup. So my question to you guys, what are your opinions on where the Tone 2 knob should be?

sonar1

Reaction score
Jimmie Vaughan model has the bridge pickup tone control, and the middle pickup without.
I thought it made a lot of sense.

Seems like it would be easy to change. Eric Johnson models are nice. Quarter sawn neck!
Congrats!

I’d play it as-is a while, then decide. A lot of Strat models wire both the bridge and middle pu to the lower tone pot. I always thought Jimmie Vaughan’s idea was a good one. Different strokes...

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a very nice guitar BTW.

I have a Mojotone harness in one of my strats that makes 'tone 1' a fixed tone control for all the pickups. 'Tone 2' acts as a blend knob between the bridge and neck PUPs. I really like it.

Not sure if you are going to change any wiring, but if so, consider. It's easy enough to change it back if you don't like.

smk506

Reaction score
I’m not too particular I guess, but I definitely see the value in a tone pot for the bridge pickup.

Whether that’s a master tone knob like a tele or dedicated the bridge, bridge/middle is secondary.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like the Tone 2 control to work for both the Middle and Bridge pickups on a Strat, personally. I see no downside.

Colnago1

Reaction score
Tone 2 gets rewired to both the middle and bridge on all of my Strats.

bluesoul

Reaction score
As A Strat guy for 30 plus years who also digs Les Pauls.... wire it so your lower tone knob works on the bridge only. Most Strat players (imo) go this route.
BTW.... the EJ strats are killers! You did well with that choice!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fender has been all over the place on that 2nd tone control.

True vintage... up until 1976... had a 3-way selector, and the tone controls were on the neck and middle.
The 5-way switch was a common mod, and Fender added it in 1976, but the tone wiring remained the same.
After FMIC took over production in the mid 80s, they started experimenting with things like the "Delta Tone" and other alternatives.
My American Special has the tones on the neck and bridge, and some models have tone-2 on both the bridge and middle.
Both are also common mods.

The Rosewood EJ with the 3-ply pickguard should have the tone on the bridge and neck, so the previous owner likely modified it.
It's a simple wiring change...

Move the wire from the middle (blank here) lug to where the arrow is.
Or, if you want that tone on both pickups, just jumper those 2 lugs.

EDIT: Oops... It was late, wrong one. The top of the three lugs circled is likely currently vacant, that is the connection for the bridge pickup.
Regardless, make it look like this drawing, ignore the red arrow ;)

GB-Strat-1.jpg

Last edited:

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This should have come with your EJ.

I'd pull the pickguard and make sure someone did not swap out the pickups.
If viable, maybe have it checked out at a Guitar Center so there is no questions.

ej cont.png

Meatwad

Reaction score
I've got the same rosewood model in the Aqua Lucerne Firemist color - Great guitars!!

It should definitely have come from the factory with the tone control wired to the bridge like the others have mentioned.
I have 3 Strats, and they're all wired this way - I couldn't imagine having a Strat that wasn't.

Enjoy your EJ......They're probably the best non Custom Shop Strat that Fender makes IMO.

afireinside

Reaction score
Nice i grabbed a used with a few blems on it this week. The neck in a touch smaller at the 12th then my 2014 trad. Nice big neck. Love the pups too. My tones are wired correctly
20210504_210447.jpg

Latest Threads