NGD - Epiphone Riviera P93 Black Pearl Royale!!!

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
This is my very 1st 3-P90 semi-hollow guitar I've ever owned.

I remember when these came out back in about 2012, and were offered in black like this one,red, and blue, and I always thought I'd like to audition one.

I never got to when they were released, and I never seen any of these out in the wild for sale, until yesterday.

I really like this guitar from what I heard when I auditioned it, making sure everything worked properly.

It need a good cleaning and set up, so I took it to my tech and let him give the little TLC it needed.

After reading the reviews on these guitars, I think this guitar offers a lot of really cool tones ,and is something I don't already have in my collection.

Anyone else own one of these type of Epi's ?

If so, what's you're take on these Riviera's ?

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Well, well, a cool guitar it is ideed, but the QC sucked big time.
Bought it brand new, it had issues.
Fretboard was bone dry; I had to dress the fret ends. Pickup height with wrong/unmatched covers and shims underneath is, ahhm, nonoptimal, Bigsby mounted off center, potentiometers don't work smoothly.
I paid a discount price, otherwise this thing had been returned imediately. After all the work got used to it now. Sure wouldn't buy it again. Definately not recommended.

Attachments

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
This is my very 1st 3-P90 semi-hollow guitar I've ever owned.

I remember when these came out back in about 2012, and were offered in black like this one,red, and blue, and I always thought I'd like to audition one.

I never got to when they were released, and I never seen any of these out in the wild for sale, until yesterday.

I really like this guitar from what I heard when I auditioned it, making sure everything worked properly.

It need a good cleaning and set up, so I took it to my tech and let him give the little TLC it needed.

After reading the reviews on these guitars, I think this guitar offers a lot of really cool tones ,and is something I don't already have in my collection.

Anyone else own one of these type of Epi's ?

If so, what's you're take on these Riviera's ?

I’ve always wanted one of these. Only played one that was owned by a good friend in about ‘14-‘15-ish. He was a luthier so he had it dialed in. I played that thing as often as I could. I think he still has it in his collection. If I’m not mistaken, it’s one of his “lifers”

I recall it being very much a do damn near everything guitar. It sang on the neck position; almost a Lenny or Riviera Paradise kind of chime and playing Lenny on a shorter scale for my sausage link digits was a treat.I think he swapped the import Bigsby for a B7 and upgraded the arm. I do recall he also swapped the tuners.
YMMV

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted one of these. Only played one that was owned by a good friend in about ‘14-‘15-ish. He was a luthier so he had it dialed in. I played that thing as often as I could. I think he still has it in his collection. If I’m not mistaken, it’s one of his “lifers”

I recall it being very much a do damn near everything guitar. It sang on the neck position; almost a Lenny or Riviera Paradise kind of chime and playing Lenny on a shorter scale for my sausage link digits was a treat.I think he swapped the import Bigsby for a B7 and upgraded the arm. I do recall he also swapped the tuners.
YMMV

Thanks for posting this LV.

I'm hoping that this guitar in it's stock form delivers the goods tonally and is as versatile as it's been described on paper.

If it needs to be modded, I have a guitar tech/friend who can upgrade the pots and wiring, and the pickups if I have to go that far.

You've given me hope that this might be a keeper.

Can't wait to get the guitar back from my tech next week.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this LV.

I'm hoping that this guitar in it's stock form delivers the goods tonally and is as versatile as it's been described on paper.

If it needs to be modded, I have a guitar tech/friend who can upgrade the pots and wiring, and the pickups if I have to go that far.

You've given me hope that this might be a keeper.

Can't wait to get the guitar back from my tech next week.
As long as the neck is straight, truss rod works and it feels good in the hands, the rest is details. Plus at this age of the instrument that looks like it been cared for, the stuff previously mentioned by Blues, should be ironed out.
I look forward to a review!!

Reactions: JMP

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
As long as the neck is straight, truss rod works and it feels good in the hands, the rest is details. Plus at this age of the instrument that looks like it been cared for, the stuff previously mentioned by Blues, should be ironed out.
I look forward to a review!!

LV, all that stuff was checked out by me when I bought it, but I wasn't able to check everything out in detail.

I already talked to my tech, and he's already check the neck, pickups and all the wiring to make sure everything is the way it should be.

The only thing he's got left to do it to clean up the frets, treat the fret board, and intonate the guitar.

Hopefully I'll get it back Monday.

JMP

Reaction score
Great guitar. My experience with ES Epiphone models has been limited to 1990s Dot and Sheraton models. But, the general consensus is that Epiphone always has, and still do, make outstanding ES guitars. I’m guessing your Riviera will be awesome once the tech is finished. The brand new Riviera definitely looks great too.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Great guitar. My experience with ES Epiphone models has been limited to 1990s Dot and Sheraton models. But, the general consensus is that Epiphone always has, and still do, make outstanding ES guitars. I’m guessing your Riviera will be awesome once the tech is finished. The brand new Riviera definitely looks great too.

Thanks JMP.

Yes, I've heard the same thing about these Epi ES guitars.

I guess for the most part they did these models up right,and I guess with the TLC this guitar is going to get, it should deliver.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: JMP

Latest Threads