NGD: Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus HCS 2010

oustas

Reaction score
Hello guys. Yesterday I was going through the items available at my local auction house and I spotted this Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Nobody bought it during the live auction so …impulse buy… I went in with an offer and I got it for 180 euros (~$215).

I haven’t seen a Custom with a Sunburst finish before so as soon as I got home, I did a quick search in epiphonewiki and, as far as I can see, this is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. The guitar was in a bad shape with scratches, dings, a missing backplate, a broken selector switch and a really dirty fretboard.

I spend a few hours cleaning it thoroughly and gave her a proper setup with 10s. Backplate and switch are already on their way. I was pleasantly surprised that the neck is quite comfortable to play, pickups sounded a bit muddy but as soon as I lowered them, they sound ok (probably going to replace them as some point) and the guitar is loud when played unplugged. It's lighter than my Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 1960 Norm Burst and I much prefer the Custom’s neck (it’s a bit thicker) rather than the Bonamassa one, although in the specs, they state that both have the same profile (correct me if I’m wrong).

The pickups have “F” (front?) and “R”(rear?) stamped along with the Epiphone logo. Also, according to the specs, these are supposed to coil split but they don’t. Any ideas on what these are?

Small thing I noticed when visually comparing my 2 Epiphones is that the distance between the tailpiece and the bridge is different. The Custom’s tailpiece is further away. Anyone care to elaborate?

Serial Number: 10031512906

Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China
on March, 2010
Production Number: 12906

Opinions, thought and/or comments are welcome.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg

DrBGood

Reaction score
Sorry to say, but I think you got yourself a fake.

Body shape is off on the upper left where it butts the fretboard (not 90°) , domed tailpiece stud heads, pickguard screw closer to edge of guard, tailpiece position you mentionned,

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Hello guys. Yesterday I was going through the items available at my local auction house and I spotted this Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Nobody bought it during the live auction so …impulse buy… I went in with an offer and I got it for 180 euros (~$215).

I haven’t seen a Custom with a Sunburst finish before so as soon as I got home, I did a quick search in epiphonewiki and, as far as I can see, this is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. The guitar was in a bad shape with scratches, dings, a missing backplate, a broken selector switch and a really dirty fretboard.

I spend a few hours cleaning it thoroughly and gave her a proper setup with 10s. Backplate and switch are already on their way. I was pleasantly surprised that the neck is quite comfortable to play, pickups sounded a bit muddy but as soon as I lowered them, they sound ok (probably going to replace them as some point) and the guitar is loud when played unplugged. It's lighter than my Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 1960 Norm Burst and I much prefer the Custom’s neck (it’s a bit thicker) rather than the Bonamassa one, although in the specs, they state that both have the same profile (correct me if I’m wrong).

The pickups have “F” (front?) and “R”(rear?) stamped along with the Epiphone logo. Also, according to the specs, these are supposed to coil split but they don’t. Any ideas on what these are?

Small thing I noticed when visually comparing my 2 Epiphones is that the distance between the tailpiece and the bridge is different. The Custom’s tailpiece is further away. Anyone care to elaborate?

Serial Number: 10031512906

Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China
on March, 2010
Production Number: 12906

Opinions, thought and/or comments are welcome.

Hi Buddy, and don't get confused. It's a Chibson (Chinese Gibson) anyway ...and as a Quingdao Epi it's a good one! You did a good job cleaning her and I bet as soon as you replaced those f*#ker buckers with a decent low wound set, you're good!
I got an Epi Custom Peter Frampton model in a desasterous setup state right from the factory and, again, a Chibson is a Chibson.
With the price you paid I'd say you're a lucky guy.:applause: Enjoy. :dude:

oustas

Reaction score

Body shape is off on the upper left where it butts the fretboard (not 90°) , domed tailpiece stud heads, pickguard screw closer to edge of guard, tailpiece position you mentionned,
Well that's a bummer.... The tailpiece and bridge position in regards to the knobs looks identical with this one here though: "
" but the domed tailpiece studs and the body shape are a give away i guess. Well at least the neck is straight and the action is pretty good so I can just give it away to my nephew to have a go at it (he's just learning guitar). Thanks man.

wmachine

Reaction score

I see what you are saying. and I see the horn by the cutaway appears noticeably smaller, but that could be the larger binding. But a fake EPI? Really? Are you comparing to similar models made back then?

Last edited:

oustas

Reaction score
I see what you are saying. and I see the horn by the cutaway appears noticeably smaller, but that could be the larger binding. But a fake EPI? Really? Are you comparing to similar models made back then?
Hello. That's actually a good point. I am guessing the comparison made by DrBGood was based of my pictures, which is with a 2019 made Les Paul. Does anyone know whether the design changed over the years ? Or maybe someone has a Custom made around 2009-2010 ?

wmachine

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying EPI are not faked, I do not know that. I just find it hard to believe they are. And even harder to believe they were 10 years ago or more. Yes, there were changes over the years. I'm not really familiar with the changes, but I can tell the EPI headstock script changed circa 2011. And yours is correct for for a 2010.

I'd hate to see another instance of fake news started here.

motowntom

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying EPI are not faked, I do not know that. I just find it hard to believe they are. And even harder to believe they were 10 years ago or more. Yes, there were changes over the years. I'm not really familiar with the changes, but I can tell the EPI headstock script changed circa 2011. And yours is correct for for a 2010.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score

But a fake EPI? Really?
Yep
fake.jpg

Epi did not produce this color later than 2008

15 minutes of education ^^

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score

There's multiple websites and videos dedicated to fake Epiphone. Yes they're out there and have been for quite a while. Why make a fake Epiphone you'll say. Because it way easier to pass a fake $20 than a $100, isn't it ?

wmachine

Reaction score
There's multiple websites and videos dedicated to fake Epiphone. Yes they're out there and have been for quite a while. Why make a fake Epiphone you'll say. Because it way easier to pass a fake $20 than a $100, isn't it ?
Not necessarily, but even if true, it is not easier to pass 5 $20s than one $100. It's more a matter that there is a cost level to consider and the profit margin would make it to low to be worth it by comparisons. Not that there wouldn't be those stupid enough to do it. Knock off Timex watches would be the easiest to pass.
But all logic aside, if they exist, they exist! Interesting. But really perplexing! Thanks for the reference material, I'll check it out.

wmachine

Reaction score
FWIW, my avatar pic is my "2011" EPI LP "Custom". The Custom Pro started with the 2012 model year. Had new push-pull pots and newer pups. Mine was made in June 2011 and included what Gibson called "rolling changes" including the Pro electronics even though it was still not called a Pro. The real bonus is that it was made in what apparently was a couple month window when they put ebony boards on them!

Latest Threads