NGD - Epiphone Les Paul Custom Joe Bonamassa Black Beauty

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... Buncha' lightweight examples out there! Mine is 9.4lbs with strap.

Lwilliams

Reaction score
Maybe Guitar Center had a bunch on backorder also because they have these in stock on their website.

I'm gonna try another one. I bought one when they first came out but it had uneven fret problems. So I returned it. Let's see if this next one is any good.
I bought THREE more. I got them Thursday. Just got to open the boxes today. Extremely consistent build quality. Can't really tell them apart.

I did a setup on each of them. They play great - equally well. And they sound the same through various amps.

I am going to keep one, maybe two, and sell the others. When I got these, the MF/GC chain had received a total of 52. No more after that.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought THREE more. I got them Thursday. Just got to open the boxes today. Extremely consistent build quality. Can't really tell them apart.

I did a setup on each of them. They play great - equally well. And they sound the same through various amps.

I am going to keep one, maybe two, and sell the others. When I got these, the MF/GC chain had received a total of 52. No more after that.
How are the fret ends?
Mine are nice and playable, but what my wife noticed is they actually do have a bit of a "serration" where they meet the binding.
I don't feel it (unless I'm looking for it) when playing, but running my hand from the back of the neck toward the front it is apparent.
Quick touch-up with a file cleaned them up pretty well.

wjlim22

Reaction score

They had 20 left when I checked with them a few days ago. So they are going pretty quick. I got mine yesterday. It's pretty nice nice but does need a fret level just on the frets near the body.

Lwilliams

Reaction score
How are the fret ends?
Mine are nice and playable, but what my wife noticed is they actually do have a bit of a "serration" where they meet the binding.
I don't feel it (unless I'm looking for it) when playing, but running my hand from the back of the neck toward the front it is apparent.
Quick touch-up with a file cleaned them up pretty well.

The fret ends feel fine to me.

I don't get any fret buzz or rattle anywhere with the action set to Gibson spec: 5/64 and 3/64.

I own 2 Gibson R9 Historics. These BB's don't play as well as those. But the play as good as any Gibson USA and better than some of those!

wjlim22

Reaction score
The fret ends feel fine to me.

I don't get any fret buzz or rattle anywhere with the action set to Gibson spec: 5/64 and 3/64.

I own 2 Gibson R9 Historics. These BB's don't play as well as those. But the play as good as any Gibson USA and better than some of those!
Wow. Tempted to try a third one. I've had bad luck with the frets.

darkvoice

Reaction score
Maybe Guitar Center had a bunch on backorder also because they have these in stock on their website.
I think your guess is spot on.

I just got one of these guitars from GC delivered and it's dated Nov 2020, meaning these are not newly made. There were manufactured 9 months ago and probably were sitting somewhere before GC finally got them.

If you want one - get them for sticker price while they are still available, because when these 52 sell out there will be no more!

wjlim22

Reaction score
I think your guess is spot on.

I just got one of these guitars from GC delivered and it's dated Nov 2020, meaning these are not newly made. There were manufactured 9 months ago and probably were sitting somewhere before GC finally got them.

If you want one - get them for sticker price while they are still available, because when these 52 sell out there will be no more!
I already received one yesterday. I didn't look at when it was made though.

darkvoice

Reaction score
I just asked them how many they have in inventory and they show 20 in their system
From my observations these were available at GC/MF starting from early this week and they sold about 30 in just few days (they had 20 left few days ago). At this pace the guitars will be gone by end of next week or earlier.

Lwilliams

Reaction score
All of the ones I've received were made November 2020.

I just thought it was a COVID delay in shipping and getting them out of China.

I am glad though. I had ordered one back in November only to have the order cancelled because "there are not going to be any more". So, we got lucky!!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of the ones I've received were made November 2020.

I just thought it was a COVID delay in shipping and getting them out of China.

I am glad though. I had ordered one back in November only to have the order cancelled because "there are not going to be any more". So, we got lucky!!
Mine was a pre-order directly from the JB store (so I got the voucher for a meet and greet).
It arrived 2nd week of October.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Mine is OFD, will be arriving anytime now...

Sorry to keep hijackin' this NGD, is there an Owner's thread for these Beauties?

pondcaster

Reaction score
Just unboxed and initial impressions are WOW and more WOW.

Thank you @rjwilson37 for starting an Owners thread, I'll post over there now. And pics as soon as possible...

Did I mention how WOW'd I am?

Last edited:

Latest Threads