NGD - Epiphone Les Paul Custom Joe Bonamassa Black Beauty

leifpaul

Reaction score
you see what I did to be able to fit the gibson trussrod cover ? and yeah, it look so much better than the 3 screw epi .

Lwilliams

Reaction score
It looks like you only had to make a pilot hole for the bottom screw. Is that right?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like you only had to make a pilot hole for the bottom screw. Is that right?
Filler block added.....

Does it interfere with truss rod access?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I think it is just crazy that yours came with a different two screw truss rod cover and the small printed CUSTOM, where CB's and mine came with the 3 screw truss rod cover and the large printed CUSTOM. I guess they just use what ever they have laying around, which is unacceptable for a signature Les Paul Custom. You can't get these anymore, but still, they should all be the same and live up to the name/hype.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I think it is just crazy that yours came with a different two screw truss rod cover and the small printed CUSTOM, where CB's and mine came with the 3 screw truss rod cover and the large printed CUSTOM.
It didn't come that way... that's a mod that he did.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ohhhh. I thought his came with the two screw and he changed it to a three screw. It came with the 3 screw like ours and he changed it to the two screw with the smaller CUSTOM print. Got it....

It's $20 for just the Gibson Les Paul Custom truss rod cover, I think I am fine with ours the way it is. haha

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Ohhhh. I thought his came with the two screw and he changed it to a three screw. It came with the 3 screw like ours and he changed it to the two screw with the smaller CUSTOM print. Got it....

It's $20 for just the Gibson Les Paul Custom truss rod cover, I think I am fine with ours the way it is. haha
Ya...
There are a few things that I've considered changing, and even bought the Faber bridge/e-sert parts, and I keep saying "next string change"
And as cool as the TRC mod looks, it still doesn't fix the contrast between the aged binding and the white plastics, and it is indeed an Epihone, so the 3-screw TRC is correct.

All in all, I bought it more as a collection piece than as a daily player, though any time I get a new guitar it tends to get the majority of playing time for a few months, and mine is still 2nd on the "pile" next to the Flying-V... which is just SO comfortable to play seated compared to the LP body.
I haven't spent much time with my '19 LP Original in a while.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, mine is in it's case in the closet. I don't mind the thicker neck, but I prefer the slim taper neck and since they did not make very many, mine is going to be mostly a collectors piece as well. Even though I changed the tuners, I have the originals to put back on and no will ever know I changed the tuners for a bit. Except of course MLP members for this thread and 20 years from now, no one will ever know this thread ever existed I am thinking. haha

Lwilliams

Reaction score
I bought the JB BB as a collector piece or to resell. BUT......the guitar is so good, I really think it should stay and be a player.....gently played to keep it good shape, but play it because it compares so well to my Gibsons.

Lwilliams

Reaction score
Yep, mine is in it's case in the closet. I don't mind the thicker neck, but I prefer the slim taper neck and since they did not make very many, mine is going to be mostly a collectors piece as well. Even though I changed the tuners, I have the originals to put back on and no will ever know I changed the tuners for a bit. Except of course MLP members for this thread and 20 years from now, no one will ever know this thread ever existed I am thinking. haha
What tuners did you put on it? Direct fit? You said no one would know when the originals go back on.......

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Here is a picture, you can see where the originals will screw back in and cover the hole from the Hipshots. If I ever do sell it, I will give them the choice to keep the Hipshots on or put the originals back on. If they give me some crap about I ruined it by drilling the extra holes and such and now it is not worth as much, I will just tell them... Then Don't Buy It. haha

HipshotLocking.jpg

epigibneck.jpg

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Would the Hipshot alignment plates not fit?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
They did fit, but the tuners barely stuck out to put the strings in, which was not enough to make me happy for use or even the way it looked. It works and looks much better on the front of the guitar this way, and I never look at the back of the headstock anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

The Aged look of the Bonamassa Black Beauty is just killer. I am glad they yellowed the binding on the neck considering his Gibson's neck binding was white.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Did you have to make any modifiication to make that truss rod cover work?

The two-screw version looks MUCH better than that three-screw version.

I have a New one of these being delivered tomorrow. I had given up many months ago as they were sold out everywhere. Then my dealer called me Friday and said they received 52 that had been on backorder with Gibson. I told him to ship it to me. I started to get two -- one to sell and one to keep.
Maybe Guitar Center had a bunch on backorder also because they have these in stock on their website.

I'm gonna try another one. I bought one when they first came out but it had uneven fret problems. So I returned it. Let's see if this next one is any good.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Quick question for the owners of these LPCs, what are the weights like?

Any chance of getting one less than 9lbs?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, mine is 8.5lbs

Guitar Center has them in stock it says. But... I have purchased before a limited run guitar they said they had in stock and I never got it. After two weeks of it never coming I finally got ahold of the right person and they said... yep we couldn't find it so it never shipped. Even though the original person I purchased it from said it shipped and was on its way.

Good Luck, hope you get one and it's not a return or a refurbished one.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I received my new guitar, and it is beautiful. I got it from Sweetwater and I didn't have much time to play with it when it arrived today. The short amount of time I did get with it, is that it will still need new strings and a setup to my liking. It was just setup ok from Sweetwater. Although... it was on a truck all day out in the 90 degree weather. Maybe it just needs to settle down in normal temps for a day. I will mess with it more when I return on Saturday.

View attachment 494135
View attachment 494136
View attachment 494137
Holly shit!! that is a great looking guitar!! i've noticed they hold thier value. I see them on reverb all the time for 1400 clams!!!

Latest Threads