NGD: Epiphone Les Paul Custom 2020 - but bad....

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Some people not only swap out the bridge, they do the tail piece as well.

Then the bug hits.

Replace the nut
Get some lock straps
Change the knobs from speed to top hat
Try different pickups
Upgrade the wiring harness

:run:

But honestly.
A new bridge is no biggie if you really like the guitar. :cool:

rbraad68

Reaction score

Then the bug hits.

Replace the nut
Get some lock straps
Try different pickups

But honestly.

i got the bug !! i did all four of my epi's before blocking my self from all the guitar parts sites!!!

nowaysj

Reaction score
So, I just purchased this same guitar, a 2020 black Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and the intonation was a little off, thought I'd give the saddle screws a few turns... 4 of my screws are seriously bent. I bought this guitar 2nd hand, but the kid I bought it from never played it... It is pristine.

A slight back bow, but I believe there are 10's on there, I'd like to go 11's, so I'll see if the extra tension pulls some relief into the neck, if not, i'll make a very slight adjustment to the truss rod. This is the first guitar I've ever owned or played that had a back bow. But all this is neither here nor there, why am I mentioning this?! :wave:

The fact of the matter is these guitars were sold with bent saddle screws, when you turn them, they raise the saddle as much as 2 mm as the bent screws rotate. This is so far from acceptable. And I find it strange that everyone in this thread totally dismisses this like it is nothing. This is like buying a new car, but it's pistons are bent, and y'all are like, look at that paint and tires, really nice car, you should keep it.. You can buy new pistons for your new car, no problem, just go for it.

This, to me, seems to be the behavior of a survivor of abuse, or financially compensated internet opinion provision.

Y'all think that it is fine for Epiphone to sell bent saddle screws that make intonating and setting the action of the guitar impossible? That the reasonable solution is to go out and buy a new bridge for your new guitar? To me, that seems crazy. I mean, if you were buying a Glarry, I'd understand. But with current pricing, the Epiphone Les Paul Custom is a premium guitar. It should perform its essential functions flawlessly.

I LOVE this guitar. It plays... very well. It sounds fantastic, best sounding Strat I have ever played. :naughty: But I don't think it is acceptable for Epiphone to be selling guitars like this, especially at this price. The kid that sold me this guitar sold it unplayed because he could never get it in tune, and intonated. And he sold me a second guitar. He was done with guitar. He decided guitar wasn't for him. Epiphone just lost how many future sales from this one kid having this experience buying a new expensive guitar that is unfit for the purpose it was sold for. This doesn't injure just Epiphone, it brings the whole guitar ecosystem down. How many fewer amps will be sold? How many fewer pedals, cables, mics, cases, aftermarket parts and on and on won't be sold, just from Epiphone skimping on a screw that costs .00001 cents?

redcoats1976

Reaction score
see if you can get the store to order another bridge for you or reduce the price enough for you to get an aftermarket bridge of your choice.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, definitely go back and get it. That is an easy fix, which they fixed it for you already. I have an Epiphone 2021 Les Paul Custom and it is totally fantastic. I love my Epiphone Les Paul's.

EpiphoneLesPauls.jpg

rjwilson37

Reaction score
So, I just purchased this same guitar, a 2020 black Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and the intonation was a little off, thought I'd give the saddle screws a few turns... 4 of my screws are seriously bent. I bought this guitar 2nd hand, but the kid I bought it from never played it... It is pristine.

A slight back bow, but I believe there are 10's on there, I'd like to go 11's, so I'll see if the extra tension pulls some relief into the neck, if not, i'll make a very slight adjustment to the truss rod. This is the first guitar I've ever owned or played that had a back bow. But all this is neither here nor there, why am I mentioning this?! :wave:

The fact of the matter is these guitars were sold with bent saddle screws, when you turn them, they raise the saddle as much as 2 mm as the bent screws rotate. This is so far from acceptable. And I find it strange that everyone in this thread totally dismisses this like it is nothing. This is like buying a new car, but it's pistons are bent, and y'all are like, look at that paint and tires, really nice car, you should keep it.. You can buy new pistons for your new car, no problem, just go for it.

This, to me, seems to be the behavior of a survivor of abuse, or financially compensated internet opinion provision.

Y'all think that it is fine for Epiphone to sell bent saddle screws that make intonating and setting the action of the guitar impossible? That the reasonable solution is to go out and buy a new bridge for your new guitar? To me, that seems crazy. I mean, if you were buying a Glarry, I'd understand. But with current pricing, the Epiphone Les Paul Custom is a premium guitar. It should perform its essential functions flawlessly.

I LOVE this guitar. It plays... very well. It sounds fantastic, best sounding Strat I have ever played. :naughty: But I don't think it is acceptable for Epiphone to be selling guitars like this, especially at this price. The kid that sold me this guitar sold it unplayed because he could never get it in tune, and intonated. And he sold me a second guitar. He was done with guitar. He decided guitar wasn't for him. Epiphone just lost how many future sales from this one kid having this experience buying a new expensive guitar that is unfit for the purpose it was sold for. This doesn't injure just Epiphone, it brings the whole guitar ecosystem down. How many fewer amps will be sold? How many fewer pedals, cables, mics, cases, aftermarket parts and on and on won't be sold, just from Epiphone skimping on a screw that costs .00001 cents?
I pretty much always buy new, and these guitars come with a warranty. Not everything comes perfect whether it is a car, a boat, a lawnmower, a bicycle, or a guitar. They have a warranty, so get it fixed or return it, it is up to you. I have never really had any issues with my Epiphone guitars, I have had problems with my Gibson Guitars, but not with my Epiphones. My brand new Gibson Les Paul Studio HP came with a bad switch, but the guitar felt/played great, a very fantastic guitar. I took it to an authorized warranty place and they fixed it.

orangeth30withguitars.jpg

Musha Ring

Reaction score
OP, I assume you bought at L&M? As much as the chain bugs me, they usually go above and beyond when it comes to warranty issues.

I brought home a new Epiphone Custom a couple weeks ago and it is phenomenal. It plays better than my 2020 Gibson Classic. There's not a thing wrong with it and it exceeded all my expectations. There was some swirling on the back when I bought it so the store (L&M) gave me $200 off. I've never left that store happier.

I realize your post was from a few months ago, but if you really want a Custom - as I did and could never afford a Gibson Custom - it's worth reconsidering the Epiphone.

20211018_174246-01.jpeg
20211018_184242-01.jpeg

Reaction score
I got mine a while back and couldn't be more happy with it. No issues at all and was really impressed that it came with an ebony fretboard. Mine has slightly lower output pickups, which makes me think the probuckers that came with it sound more like they're inspired by a BB1/2 set rather than a BB2/3 set. Hopefully you can get something sorted out. I miss L&M - got my first guitar there (though can't really complain about the retailers here either).

truckermde

Reaction score

Nobody is saying it's OK, but that it's not the end of the world.

The "bent pistons = bent screws on a $20 bridge" doesn't work, because pistons are not a DIY $20 replacement which takes 2min.

We're talking about inexpensive, entry-level guitars here, which are fairly amazing, actually. Using cheaper hardware, and less time-consuming finish processes, is the way the Gibson Company can provide the outstanding "gateway-drug" instruments to us for a pittance. Even considering that, most Epi's come with real Grover Rotomatics, so those are good. Just replacing an El Cheapo bridge is no biggie, considering the savings you have in every other aspect of this otherwise excellent instrument, which is a remarkable facsimile of a lusty $4000 guitar, and built by the same corporation as the original, no less.

Although I no longer have it, my last Epiphone LP was absolutely capable of going out on tour with me. It played well, sounded great, and looked the part, all without having to worry about spilled beer, or worse.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I think they are great guitars! Eboney board and if you get one of the newer ones you get the bigger diamond on the head stock. I got mine the first few months of 2020 so i have the smaller diamond i missed out on that revamp.. The electronics are decent the Pro Buckers sound great and as long as you get one that doesn't need fret work i think you will like it. Mine has under gone many face lifts trying to get it where i like it but i think i got it now. Only thing i have left to do is blk Grover tuners and i'm set. Good luck to you man i think you will be very happy with oneif you decide to buy one..

Attachments

• custom face lift 01.jpg
    custom face lift 01.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 8

rbraad68

Reaction score
We're talking about inexpensive, entry-level guitars here, which are fairly amazing, actually. Using cheaper hardware, and less time-consuming finish processes, is the way the Gibson Company can provide the outstanding "gateway-drug" instruments to us for a pittance. Even considering that, most Epi's come with real Grover Rotomatics, so those are good. Just replacing an El Cheapo bridge is no biggie, considering the savings you have in every other aspect of this otherwise excellent instrument, which is a remarkable facsimile of a lusty $4000 guitar, and built by the same corporation as the original, no less.

Amen brother well said I totally agree!! I have a box full of these cheap ass bridges I never use them I always change mine out with the first string change BUT if you had too the stock bridges will work just fine .. For me it's a matter of pref not a matter of needing to replace.

truckermde

Reaction score
Amen brother well said I totally agree!! I have a box full of these cheap ass bridges I never use them I always change mine out with the first string change BUT if you had too the stock bridges will work just fine .. For me it's a matter of pref not a matter of needing to replace.
Fully.

The last Epi I described above had stock hardware.

It worked fine, so I left it. I have changed many, though. On Gibsons, too...

rbraad68

Reaction score
I have even gone so far as to use the Faber kits on my higher end Epi's like my 59's and my Slash. But the quality of these new EPI's is amazing and you honestly could get away with leaving it totally stock !! I just like to tinker and for the price of these things you don't have to worry about killing the value if you change something out. I bought a 50's standard earlier this yr for 499 new at MF . Prob one of my favorite guitars i own. I have changed everything out cept for the wood lol !! Guitar sounds and plays amazing BUT right out of the box the guitar was perfect. I mean all i had to do was tune it. Out of all the ones i have bought this was the "Lucky" guitar. I played it for about a month with the stock strings and everything before i started to mod the thing. My point is i guess is that unless you get a defective part these things are good to go out of the box any mods you do is usually because you wanted to make the change and that says alot about these new Epiphones I think....

Attachments

• 50's gold top 765.jpg
    50's gold top 765.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 6

rbraad68

Reaction score

Then the bug hits.

Replace the nut
Get some lock straps
Try different pickups

But honestly.

I have like 5 or 6 bran new stock bridges with the tail piece taken off my epi's i bought this year. Anyone needs a bridge and trying to figure out where to get one just shoot me a message i will be glad to send you one...

Latest Threads