NGD: Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Custom Black Beauty Outfit

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Work meetings cancelled for the rest of the day.
Same here... it was scheduled for tomorrow, but went out this morning and is now scheduled for some time in the next hour.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I can see where the truck is on a map...so close! 'Cmon UPS man!
It's here.
It was funny... I noticed that the battery in my doorbell was down to 25%, so I walked over to change it.
Just as I opened the door, the FedEx guy showed up.

Outer packing box is HUGE... could have put a doubleneck bass in that box.
Inside, the standard Epiphone box, and paperwork with invoice and "Meet & Greet" vouchers
I haven't opened the case yet... had to finish my coffee.

christopherJ

Reaction score
Got mine too. Shipped in just the single Epiphone box that was open and retaped twice. Inside finger prints on case, missing poster, and the white foam circle that is usually on the switch was in the case compartment. Very little protection for the case inside the box, just some bubble wrap around the head of the case, none on the bottoms or sides. The guitar was moving around inside the box.

Direct from Gibson too...

Guitar looks OK. Haven't played it yet, just got it in the house.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Got mine too. Shipped in just the single Epiphone box that was open and retaped twice. Inside finger prints on case, missing poster, and the white foam circle that is usually on the switch was in the case compartment. Very little protection for the case inside the box, just some bubble wrap around the head of the case, none on the bottoms or sides. The guitar was moving around inside the box.

Direct from Gibson too...

Guitar looks OK. Haven't played it yet, just got it in the house.
Poster? Do you mean the COA folder?
Rather than the foam, my switch tip was in a zip-lock in the compartment with the key for the case and COA.
I bought mine through the JB store, it shipped (or was handed off to FedEx) in Grimes IA.

Overall impressions:

The case is OK. It seems solid, but it's not as "puffy" as my Gibson cases. The covering is basic vinyl, with plastic banding.
The interior is nice, but there is only one neck support, at the body end.
One of the latches is locking.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the case... but it's not the same quality that you get with Gibson USA.

The guitar was actually pretty damned close to being in tune... it was just a hair sharp. Plays nice... fat neck, will wait a few days for it to acclimate and then do a setup and change strings to my usual DR 9-46 set, but the setup is not bad at all.
The nut slots are a little deep, with the strings completely buried.

Weight on mine is also 9lbs.

christopherJ

Reaction score
There is usually an Epiphone poster that comes with them. I've got several! Maybe they don't ship them with guitars that have a COA (which mine does).

It was definitely open box, maybe it was the feds...

Overall another score for 2020 Epiphone guitars! This is a hot one for a reason. Chunky neck for sure, probably the chunkiest I own, but quite comfortable. Plays great although the action is a bit high. Nut is your standard blank with pre-cut slots. I will make a bone nut and stain it to match the binding. Now where did the dog put that bone...

Fit and finish seem great, the board is nice and dark and no dirty fingers after playing for 20 minutes.

So happy right now!

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Nice to see two more happy BB owners!

I love mine! It's my best purchase this year other than my 69'SG which of course is in a world of it's own!

I'm a locking tuner nut, so I ordered and received a set of Hipshot Gold Tuners. No screws or drilling required so there will be no issue with installing the originals should I ever want or need to!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Overall another score for 2020 Epiphone guitars! This is a hot one for a reason. Chunky neck for sure, probably the chunkiest I own, but quite comfortable. Plays great although the action is a bit high. Nut is your standard blank with pre-cut slots. I will make a bone nut and stain it to match the binding. Now where did the dog put that bone...
Yep...
The nut looks like it could probably handle 11's (or 10-52) without needing rework.

Will take height measurements at the first fret, as well as neck thickness when I do the setup next weekend.
Right now, it's in tune on the lower frets... I'm inclined not to mess with the nut.
JBNut.jpg

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I need to get a good fish scale for more accurate measurement.
Using the bathroom scale, and I'm standing on it, then pick up the guitar, so it's pretty accurate, but it's not precise enough to get ounces.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Installed my Hipshot Locking Tuners and put a nice new set of Pyramid 10-45 strings on.

Played for a good hour or so and now I really dig this guitar! I'm still not loving the bridge position, but I just need to get it adjusted correctly...

IMG_0119.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I'm tempted to swap the tuners from the 2 PU LPC to the JB LPC, just for the grins. While I still have that guitar. So far got a couple of trade offers, lol.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I'm tempted to swap the tuners from the 2 PU LPC to the JB LPC, just for the grins. While I still have that guitar. So far got a couple of trade offers, lol.

I just hate dicking around with string changes. I put locking tuners on every guitar I have. I use the Hipshot because there is no need to drill holes or alter the headstock. I always keep the originals in the case of a sale...

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I just hate dicking around with string changes. I put locking tuners on every guitar I have. I use the Hipshot because there is no need to drill holes or alter the headstock. I always keep the originals in the case of a sale...
Ya, I generally do install lockers, though I've had my Standard now for well over a year and haven't upgraded it yet.
I keep saying "next string change", but then I have the strings off, and think "Oh ya, I was going to install the TonePros bridge and saddle too" and end up just putting strings back on it.

This one is not getting any changes, reversible or not.

Strap buttons are crazy though... I bought a JoeB/Ernie Ball black gator texture strap, I can't hardly get the thing on OR off... and this has the Fender style "bugle" buttons that normally aren't very secure.

truckermde

Reaction score
Aaaaaaand...

They're all gone.

At least at Sweetwater.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I've gone crazy and bought too many guitars!

I'll be selling this one if anyone missed out.

For Sale thread coming soon, but if anyone reads this and want mine just PM me.

Guitar is mint and barely played.

$900 Shipped

Latest Threads