NGD Epiphone DC Pro!

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try one of these since they were announced in January. I knew I liked how it looked, I like the Probucker pickups, and the fact that it has 24 frets.

There was a lot of talk about these probably being neck heavy due to the lower weight of the body, and the longer headstock. This was a genuine concern. Mine weighs 8 lbs, and is only slightly neck heavy. Thankfully, there is no neck dive. The guitar sits comfortably strapped to my body. Playing in a seated position is also comfortable.

The other concern I had was the neck shape. Epiphone calls it a Custom C shape. I am used to the 60's slim taper Epi necks, and this one is much different. The Custom C is thick... and keeps getting thicker as you go up the neck. It was a totally different animal than what I am used to but not so different that I can't adapt. I will say, however, if you are looking for a shredder neck, look elsewhere. I got used to the neck pretty quickly.

Overall I couldn't find anything wrong with this guitar.
Here's some pics and a couple videos I made. Both videos aren't the best I am learning the process.

thumbnail (4).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg

Can I Play With Madness?

Reaction score
Congrats on the new axe!

That flame top is gorgeous af. Even veneers are starting look quite the part compared to the full thickness ones, in my arrogant opinion. :naughty: Those diagonal grains on the back and the fingerboard also look really nice.

Question, is the access to the 23-24 frets as bad as it looks? I know it's not going to be Ibanez-level fret access or something, but is it still reasonably reachable?

Victek

Reaction score
That flame top is gorgeous af. Even veneers are starting look quite the part.

Question, is the access to the 23-24 frets as bad as it looks?
Agreed it's a nice looking top :thumb: Regarding the 23rd and 24th frets, do you actually play that high up on the neck? For most of my guitar playing years I had 22 fret guitars (ES 335 style) and never felt restricted. I've got a 24 fret guitar now and the notes get pretty thin at the very top of the neck. :hmm:

Can I Play With Madness?

Reaction score
Agreed it's a nice looking top :thumb: Regarding the 23rd and 24th frets, do you actually play that high up on the neck? For most of my guitar playing years I had 22 fret guitars (ES 335 style) and never felt restricted. I've got a 24 fret guitar now and the notes get pretty thin at the very top of the neck. :hmm:
Sadly yes. I'm a metal guy, and I gotta have the 24th fret for a lot of Megadeth solos. :(

I'd imagine it not being that bad, as it's mostly just a big whole-step bend on the high E anyway.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I do play high up sometimes. Mostly for metal stuff. Reaching the 24th fret on this guitar is a bit of a challenge due to the neck heel. Reaching the 22nd to bend up to high E is much easier than on say, a Les Paul.

Can I Play With Madness?

Reaction score
I do play high up sometimes. Mostly for metal stuff. Reaching the 24th fret on this guitar is a bit of a challenge due to the neck heel. Reaching the 22nd to bend up to high E is much easier than on say, a Les Paul.
Ah, I see!

Guess I'll have to try it out myself, and see if I can live with or not. If not, guess a PRS SE Custom 24 is close enough. :naughty:

Wish PRS SE Customs were more affordable than they are right now though.

JohnnyN

Reaction score
Congratulations! Nice guitar and well played demo :)

Latest Threads