NGD - Epiphone 56 Goldtop

fullspectrum

Reaction score
Just got it yesterday from Long and McQuade here in Toronto. Looks wise its gorgeous and nearly perfect cosmetically. I found one slightly dark spot on the binding under the clear but its hardly noticeable. Other than that its perfect.

The frets are nice...no sharp edges and pretty level as I was able to get the action quite low. Lower than most of my guitars which was nice.

The gold paint is beautiful and the back is a reddish brown. The best feature is the p-90 pickups. All I can say is this guitar screams! Very clear and crunchy sounding. Compared to probuckers on the same amp and same settings the p-90's win. In comparison the probuckers were quieter and more muffled sounding. After hearing the p-90's I feel the probuckers on my other guitar need to be changed out.

The neck was surprisingly not too thick at all. Kind of a rounded profile but not too thick for my average sized fingers. The neck is definitely not Bonamassa baseball bat thick. The guitar was lighter than expected. Probably still around 8 pounds though.

Bottom line...you will love this guitar. Grab one while they are around. I am seriously thinking about getting another one maybe in blue because I like the sound that much. Basically the only thing I would change is the knobs to gold reflectors.

121049d1407623706-ngd-epiphone-56-goldtop-image.jpg

121078d1407636305-ngd-epiphone-56-goldtop-img_0955.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 226

Biddlin

Reaction score
Nice axe! I've been eyeballing a '54 Jeff Beck oxblood, but I am awfully tempted by the '56 GTs, just for those P-90s.
;>)/

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Great pic, FullSpec.... I like how you can see the "epiphone" stamp of the tailpiece reflected on the finish.

IRG

Reaction score
Looks great, one of 2-3 LP's I want right now. Glad to hear the pickups are good, I think older versions had a good reputation too.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Man! You do have the action set low! As I always say, P-90s are the ultimate pickup; it was all downhill after that!:laugh2: Seriously, welcome to the '56GT club. I'm glad to hear fit & finish is first-rate. (Not that there was anything wrong with my '08).

fullspectrum

Reaction score
Man! You do have the action set low! As I always say, P-90s are the ultimate pickup; it was all downhill after that!:laugh2:

Yeah I was surprised at how low I could get the action without even adjusting the truss rod. But I suspect that will change once I get her laced up with some 9's.

And yes p-90's really freakin rock! Every guitar I have played with p-90's just howls and has this sound that kinda stirs my soul :hmm: I can't describe it. Another one I just love is the DiMarzio super distortion...

56GT

Reaction score
my '56, it's my number one, after my Tele... :D

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
Congratulations.

Everyone needs a 56GT in their line up.

The P90's in these really rock. They might just
be the perfect pick up.

harpman54

Reaction score
If you change those amber top hat knobs to something else, you'll lose half your tone. Don't do it.

fullspectrum

Reaction score
Question: How can I adjust the pickup height. Looking at the bridge pickup it looks a little tilted to one side. :hmm: Is it the two little screws near the middle of the pickup that will adjust height?

fry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. They go right into the wood. Not real experienced with P-90's, I don't think you raise them as high as humbuckers in general.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I raised my bridge pup considerably, because it was quite a bit weaker sounding than the neck pup now the output levels are equal, plus it screams a bit more now!

Latest Threads