NGD: Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dudes!!!
I have acquired a handful of different pieces of gear over the last couple of years really, never quite get around to posting here though. Well this one I got today is very worthy of a share.
After playing 3-4 different 1959 Epiphone Les Pauls, including a Lazarus, I ran into this one for the first time today and within 2 minutes I was taken by it. Yes I still proceeded to play it for 30-45 minutes hahaha…..but just like the others, this one was as nice and then some. The top is especially nice on this one, as is the dark and consistent fretboard. Fretwork is excellent, guitar holds tune pretty nice for having stock new strings still.
So I have had a few older Epiphone Les Paul Standards, they give you the basic feel and sound for the money. Look slick too. I have had an Elitist ‘57 Les Paul Goldtop that was a terrific guitar. Such a great neck shape, flawless construction. I miss that guitar ugh…..
I had a 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard in Iced Tea that was pretty….but I didn’t jive with the neck ultimately.
Years later, 2019 after many GC F-ups…..I landed on my 2019 Gibson Original Les Paul Standard 60’s in Bourbon Burst. Such a special guitar to me in many ways. Unique top, love the Bourbon Burst (love bourbon…..), such a nice fast neck, great build. Excellent player. Can’t see myself getting rid of this Gibson. Love it.
And now this Epiphone 1959. This guitar is alive, like my Gibson. Absolutely rings out, and offers me something a little different from what I already have. It is raw and rude sounding, LOVE the Burstbucker 2/3 set. This neck is big and comfy. I feel like this guitar will be used for the more classic stuff that I play. Call me crazy, but the vintage style Kluson tuners offer a different kind of snap and play feel than the Grover tuners on my Gibson 60’s. I love having both, the Gibson is a bit of a tighter/bigger low end pick response, the Epiphone is a bit zingier with the Klosons, and the size of the neck just works with it. I LOVE this guitar!!! So impressed with what you get for the money, Best guitar on the market for the money, period. This is a REAL guitar. I feel no need to upgrade anything. Bridge and tail piece….maybe?? But not for a while, and I doubt I will. This guitar is exciting to me.
If there are some of you out there wondering, is this guitar as good or better than the Elitists? On the surface, no. In terms of woods used and stuff, Japanese build and quality….they were some of the best import guitars ever made from a quality standpoint. Play-ability, sound, feel, vibe??? YES!!! This guitar feels WAY less stiff, more alive, more personality, just……more. Hard to explain, but I truly enjoy this guitar. A few clear but bad pics…will get some good ones up in the next day or so.
57F50297-0D5D-487C-95E1-2B3CC011A384.jpeg
FDD0AD82-0284-4385-B852-7C94538B6A57.jpeg
BC6FF4E5-72C8-4115-81CC-F1D3C748A8B5.jpeg
91BBDBF0-712B-474A-9438-52F506D70081.jpeg
E465ACC2-079A-45B6-9CB5-6E5920246FDA.jpeg
B5199DBC-D3CF-4B3B-8A7C-B6935B8177CF.jpeg

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats! Wow, very nice indeed. Not one scratch, looks perfect. Now it's time for you to play the shit out of it and mess it up. haha

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could have written that post! That's as close to my feelings as I've ever seen in print. I'm a big MIJ fan and also have the Gibby 60's. Still, there's something about the '59 that calls me. You describe the tone perfectly. The '59 has something special. I wish my Gibby 60's sounded as good, weighed what my '59 weighs and was as comfortable to play. No, it's not the quality of an MIJ or the 60's; but it's got something that calls my name.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I could have written that post! That's as close to my feelings as I've ever seen in print. I'm a big MIJ fan and also have the Gibby 60's. Still, there's something about the '59 that calls me. You describe the tone perfectly. The '59 has something special. I wish my Gibby 60's sounded as good, weighed what my '59 weighs and was as comfortable to play. No, it's not the quality of an MIJ or the 60's; but it's got something that calls my name.
Hahaha!!! Turbros!!
Forgot my Greco custom I had as well!!! Again, also beyond nicely built, great neck. But yes, this ‘59 has THE neck, and just has attitude, snarl, and more liveliness.
The finish, neck profile, pickups, tuners, specs…..everyone needs one of these!

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ain’t she purty!!!
Play chill good off the rack I didn’t do anything too it yet. Might just wait until I break my D string, as I do on all my guitars often…. Then I will restring with my preferred choice and condition and darken up the Fretboard. Great guitar!!

Latest Threads