NGD: Epi SG Standard

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back story is that my wife very kindly offered to buy me a new guitar (yes those dreams really come true - in my case after 25 years!).

I'd been suffering from SG GAS for a while so it was the obvious place to start. I have to say that it genuinely surprised me just how good it is. Not just for the price point, but in general. All the good things I've been reading about the new Epis seems to be spot on. Build quality is on a par with my Gibson LP Standard 60s. Playability out of the box is excellent, with no chokes or buzzes. Neck is slim taper, which fall into the hand really nicely. Weight according to my rubbish scales is 7lb even, though it feels to me a bit heavier than that and has a really nice heft to it.

Of course it needs new strings and the board is dry as a bone, but that was also true of the Gibson, and takes no time to resolve. Pickups are the Epi Alnico Pro and from the short time I've had with it sound more than decent. 18:1 tuners are smooth and accurate. Switches and controls feel solid and responsive.

All in all I couldn't be happier with it. Highly recommended for the price.

1656773036390.png
1656773075074.png

1656773142389.png

gitmohair

Reaction score
Congrats :) You can't beat a good SG, fabulous instruments, and that one looks almost as good as your wife sounds :) Time to take her out for the night, I'd say (the wife, not the guitar...)

Latest Threads