NGD- Epi LP Special 1 P90, TV yellow

Ronaldo

Reaction score
Good for you.
I have enjoyed mine since day one.
I added new tuners, bone nut, pick guard, Gibson pots, Switchcraft selector switch, 50’s wiring scheme, removed the yellow paint from the neck and Pigtail wrap around bridge.
It gets off the wall hanger often.

F0D0691B-63A5-4C38-B150-FDBAE856FFDE.jpeg

beerbelly

Reaction score
I like what you've done Ronaldo. I plan to do some of those mods as well; it's the perfect foundation for upgrades. TUSQ nut arrived yesterday, tuners here Monday. I have a Pigtail bridge, but I don't think I'll use it on this guitar; I had it on my '64 SG Junior and felt the original bridge transferred vibrations & sound better.

Last edited:

Ronaldo

Reaction score
I like what you've done Ronaldo. I plan to do some of those mods as well; it's the perfect foundation for upgrades. TUSQ nut arrived yesterday, tuners here Monday. I have a Pigtail bridge, but I don't think I'll use it on this guitar; I had it on my '64 SG Junior and felt the original bridge transferred vibrations & sound better.
Thank you sir.
It was fun and the results were worth it.
I don’t think there was any difference in tone in my opinion. It is just so much easier to deal with intonation.
Some have been able
to set up the stock bridge though without issues.

beerbelly

Reaction score
I installed the TUSQ XL nut today; it literally dropped in, with only a little sanding on each end to match the neck width. Make sure you order the PQL-6061-00; it's made for post-2014 Epis.

beerbelly

Reaction score
Got the tuners & new strings installed today. Big improvements, especially the strings; they're so much more flexible & playable. The tuners dropped right in, using the Epi bushings- no reaming, and they actually hold tune. I think they look more traditional too.

Costs so far, including shipping on all:
Guitar: $149.99
Tuners (Kaish Vintage 3x3): $19.54
TUSQ XL PQL-6061-00 nut: $12.71
D'Addario EXL 110 strings, 10-46: $6.99

Total: $183.33

new tuners front.JPG
new tuners back.JPG
Epi with new tuners.JPG

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Mine has been my stage backup, festival gig #1 (we always seem to be leaving our gear unattended in piles at these things), home noodler, Blues jammer, throw it in the trunk, pop the neck off and pack it in a suitcase...plays great, sounds great, tastes great, less filling...
And it looks great with the homemade pick guard made from a Tele one I had with hogged out holes.
specia 002.JPG

beerbelly

Reaction score
Just ordered some wiring upgrades- CTS 500k pots, Vitamin Q cap, Switchcraft toggle & jack. I'm gonna do the 50's circuit, and use the old school cloth push-back wire. Another $39.16, for a total of $222.49. There won't be much separating this from a premium guitar costing many times more.

beerbelly

Reaction score
Has anyone tried mini humbuckers in one of these? I may buy another one just to try that.

beerbelly

Reaction score
This cheap guitar is becoming one of my all time favorites. The transfer of vibrations and sustain are just as good as my old '64 SG Junior; it's really alive in your hands. Kind of blows up the bolt-on vs. glue-in neck argument for me. I'm also really impressed with the stock P90s- lots of tones, adjustable with the volume control. It's a real keeper.

DrBGood

Reaction score
This cheap guitar is becoming one of my all time favorites. The transfer of vibrations and sustain are just as good as my old '64 SG Junior; it's really alive in your hands. Kind of blows up the bolt-on vs. glue-in neck argument for me. I'm also really impressed with the stock P90s- lots of tones, adjustable with the volume control. It's a real keeper.
Yeah, I tell people that I love mine because it's like a toy, But they reply that they don't like guitars that feel like toys.

What I mean is, toy like fun to handle and play with. It's highly wearable, it's the most comfortable guitar I've ever had. It doesn't restrain you from doing anything. Since I got it 6 years ago, the first thing I now look for in a new guitars, it its lightness. Forget the slick sexy Strats or the heavy LP.

Yeah yeah I know, I just got that '57 Reissue LP Jr, but that's another story.

beerbelly

Reaction score
Yeah, I tell people that I love mine because it's like a toy, But they reply that they don't like guitars that feel like toys.

What I mean is, toy like fun to handle and play with. It's highly wearable, it's the most comfortable guitar I've ever had. It doesn't restrain you from doing anything. Since I got it 6 years ago, the first thing I now look for in a new guitars, it its lightness. Forget the slick sexy Strats or the heavy LP.

Yeah yeah I know, I just got that '57 Reissue LP Jr, but that's another story.
DrBGood, I couldn't agree more. It's a fantastic instrument. But I have to disagree about your earlier suggestion that this is a veneer over a "who knows what body material". I'm convinced that this particular guitar is a 3-piece mahogany body, no veneer, and I build guitars often. I've had the neck, pickups, and control cover off, and there is no indication of a veneer; I know what to look for. I also suspect an ebony fretboard- I know it sounds crazy, but check out this photo. It doesn't look like Richlite to me. I'm guessing that either this model is a transitional to the 2020's, or some kind of special from Musician's Friend. What say you?

IMG_3587.JPG

DrBGood

Reaction score
Believe what you want, it is a paper thin veneer. I can see it well on that photo you just posted. Look at how the grain abruptly stops at the edge. Epiphone puts veneer on almost all their guitars, I'd doubt very much that they'd built a $100 without it.

On my yellow, I did a booboo and dented the surface quite deep. I tried to heat it up to raise the grain, but all it did was make the veneer pop up like a balloon. I cut the little piece off and could see the dark mahogany underneath. I tried to make it disapear by painting it, but I ended up putting a sticker over it.

Booboo.jpg

I guess the only thing that would to convince you, is to sand off that veneer and see what's underneath. It will look like this one that has been sanded to the core. Are you game ?

s-l1600.jpg

andreww

Reaction score
Why don't they make a DC??? I love your guitar but just prefer the double cuts.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Maybe you have a real Custom Shop ... LOL

By the way, what year is it ?

slug_maine

Reaction score
Great guitar for the money, I grabbed one last year after Charlie Chitlins spoke well of them. The biggest surprise to me was the P90's actually sound damn good. Only problem I've had with mine is the 3 way switch needs a jiggle sometimes when I switch to the bridge.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Only problem I've had with mine is the 3 way switch needs a jiggle sometimes when I switch to the bridge.
Problem solved with this.

d5s-6.jpg

Might as well spray the pots too, from the back in the little slot and rotate them a few times. Do this once or twice a yerar and you'll be a happy camper. No need to replace anything.

EDIT: Who's Charlie Chitlins ?

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
EDIT: Who's Charlie Chitlins ?

Mine has been my stage backup, festival gig #1 (we always seem to be leaving our gear unattended in piles at these things), home noodler, Blues jammer, throw it in the trunk, pop the neck off and pack it in a suitcase...plays great, sounds great, tastes great, less filling...
And it looks great with the homemade pick guard made from a Tele one I had with hogged out holes.View attachment 432718

Latest Threads