NGD -Edwards Plain-top Prototype Pics

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Early ESP, nice.
You are finding em earlier and earlier made.
Late 70s was the start for sure.

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
This just arrived, I have absolutely no idea how it eveaded o0mobius0o's attention.
It has a nice fat neck and a factory installed Bigsby on it. The finish is pretty thin but might be poly.
I see some braided wires inside so my guess is LH-200s. More later.....

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Same F Holes as the Torrocco, cool.
Very Vesta like.

Roxy13

Reaction score
@wulfman does your new Edwards have the thin carved maple as opposed to laminate, for the body? How would you say the sound differs from a laminate body if so?

I really want a 335 type and the Edwards are pretty reasonably priced and have the lacquer top coat. They usually have their case as well.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think most of the tone is via the voids vs solid or ply used.
Gibson used ply from the very beginning and those vintage 335s are tone machines.
Eddies are awesome guitars and I would not hesitate to recommend one for your 1st 335.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Eastman has down on their website that their solid carved maple tops sound different than their laminate ones, so I've been wondering about it. The Edwards guitars though are very affordable, especially used. That black custom with the aged binding is especially attractive.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Campbell is solid and I would not say it sounds different but then again that is near impossible to judge unless you are doing this

Last edited:

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell it is 2 or 3 ply like a Gibson 335. I like that with the change in the climate here. It makes it s bit more resistant to cracking I think. I need to compare with My Stafford and Terada-made History 335. So far it is the most comfortable neck for me and had great sustain. I'm not sure if the Bigsby adds to that or not.

Neffco

Reaction score
@wulfman does your new Edwards have the thin carved maple as opposed to laminate, for the body? How would you say the sound differs from a laminate body if so?

I really want a 335 type and the Edwards are pretty reasonably priced and have the lacquer top coat. They usually have their case as well.
I love my Edwards 335. Make sure to check the weight. I have one heavier than the other by a pound. That said, my black E SA 125 is my go to guitar still. It’s also the first one I bought. I’m up to 5 MIJ 335s now, as long as the one on the way shows up in one piece.

I can’t tell the difference between the laminate and the solid top either. Pickups are another story and I like the jazz/custom 5 combo in the Eddie’s for sure. Here’s my #1 if y’all haven’t seen it before. It’s an 07, half built in a Chinese factory from what they say.
6C5490C0-F2D3-4273-AA22-A74F36872F9F.jpeg

Last edited:

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just had a closer look and it seems to me that the body is actually 5 layers. three thicker ones in between flame maple veneers on both sides. I can't tell any difference in sound one way or the other. The main players in the sound IMO is the neck and the mahogany center block and the pickups.