NGD -Edwards Plain-top Prototype Pics

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought I would do a post on the plain-top Edwards I got a couple of weeks ago.
It has been a while since this arrived so I have had time to adjust it and play enough. It has pretty good vintage sound from the pickups which are unmarked but I guess ESP brand. Overall the guitar is a great player and lives up to ESP reputation for quality. I am sure it is 100% MIJ and believe it may actually be a one-off prototype. The neck is nice and fat which is what I prefer. It is also 4.2 kg which suggests different wood from the current Edwards.

Some points:
- Probably poly finish though I haven’t tested it.
- 2-pc center-matched back
- Fret-edge binding
- Gibson-style truss rod rout
- “9” as the pot code meaning 1989 or 1999
- Neck pickup has slightly higher resistance than bridge. I think it was 8.1k to 7.8k.

I looked for some online info on older Edwards and and found that Koiz (of ebay and Youtube fame) has an Edwards plain-top he labeled as a prototype that has a similar S/N and has an MW-4 in the pickup cavity. Pics here: Picasa Web Albums - koiz guitar - edwards LP

Mine has a MW-3 in the bridge pickup cavity. I guess they both could be prototypes as there are lots of cosmetic differences between the two with different TRC, tuners and his has a 1-pc back I believe.

Anyway, here are some shots. Any yes, that white poker chip and toggle condom do look out of place with the cream rings and pickguard.

Long tenon, interesting truss rod plug.

What part of the tree is this neck from?

Fretboard is nice rosewood and the FEB is like on my Navigator:

Double-cob tuners (is that the right term?):

Nothing too interesting under the hood. The tone controls are odd as they really roll down the treble gradually so even at 3 or 4 it is not that different from 8 or 9 on the dial.

Though they did use a proper old-style selector switch:

Truss-rod route is different from other Edwards. I am not sure if that means the position of the truss rod under the fretboard is different or just that the truss rod nut/washer sits higher and there is more wood around at the nut.

Back looks almost like 3-pc but is center-2 pc matched:

Here is the front. I call it an “IKEA” burst finish:

And a full shot with strings on:

If anyone coming across this thread has an old Edwards like this, please post something.

Cheers,

Wulfman

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
interesting but no Bacchus love :hmm: ........... :fingersx: ..............

captain von rat

Reaction score
Hey Wulfie ... welcome to a very exclusive club! only 3 of us i believe to date! You, me & Koiz. i'll check under the hood of mine & get back to you! P.S the pickups are Edwards/ESP made pickups; the EH-130C!

i'm sure everyone here is familiar with mine, but if not, here she is in all her glory -

Pictures by captain_von_rat - Photobucket

it's for sale if anyone is keen ;-)

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
hook up wit von rat on that; he's slackin 2 ........ :laugh2:

there is also another Bacchus buyer here; maybe they take delivery in a week or 2 :hmm:

maybe 3 Bacchus NGD threads soon :fingersx: .................. and just think; none from me :laugh2: ..........

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
hook up wit von rat on that; he's slackin 2 ........ :laugh2:

there is also another Bacchus buyer here; maybe they take delivery in a week or 2 :hmm:

maybe 3 Bacchus NGD threads soon :fingersx: .................. and just think; none from me :laugh2: ..........
May just be better to stay mum on the wonders of Bacchus, you know, "nothing to see here, just move along..." or see the prices jump up on older ones.

GammyBird

Reaction score
Nice pickup there Wulf...pretty cool wood grain on the neck. :thumb:

JDB

Reaction score
Cool Wulf...another beauty.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had several opportunities to grab one of those early 90's Edwards...should have!

mono

Reaction score
Nice!

I think they are called "double-ringed Klusons" and either appear on '59s and not '60s or vice versa (just woken up :thumb:)

tonebone

Reaction score
I have had several opportunities to grab one of those early 90's Edwards...should have!
Ya mean the one I kept shovin in front of yer face, udo? That one was on yj seemingly forever.

This one to be exact,

Nice Ed wulf.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya mean the one I kept shovin in front of yer face, udo? That one was on yj seemingly forever.

Nice Ed wulf.

Yeah that one and the one before... remember that sold for 1 bid for 30K
It was sitting on the sellers bed.

wulfman

ABB Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting tonebone, that looks like another "prototype" so maybe these were produced in batches for a while.

Yes, it is a bit of an orange shade, like some of those later Grecos.

tonebone

Reaction score
You're welcome sir.

You are right about the batch thing. They still do batches.

btw, I'm pretty sure these were called E-LP-70. Haven't found out if they had a suffix or not. I've seen ESP catalogue's from the early 90's on yj, but they are prohibitively expensive.

My Les Paul Classifieds