NGD: Desert Star DSG012

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing with my DSG's ..... I have someone ask where do they come from i am torn between telling them or keeping it to myself.....seriously.......cause i know how long it takes to get one,....and the more people buying, the longer i have to wait for mine. I keep thinking just one more and i'll let the cat out of the bag........:rofl:

Selfish...I know....but these are that damn good, and my friends know it,... as does everyone who has had the privilege to get one.

Yeah...my DSG Jr. is right next to my Marshall 24/7....;)

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The funny thing with my DSG's ..... I have someone ask where do they come from i am torn between telling them or keeping it to myself.....seriously.......cause i know how long it takes to get one,....and the more people buying, the longer i have to wait for mine. I keep thinking just one more and i'll let the cat out of the bag........:rofl:

Selfish...I know....but these are that damn good, and my friends know it,... as does everyone who has had the privilege to get one.

Don't worry, Mud.

Nobody's sneaking in before you, I can promise you that.

Schedule is this:

Olds442 and Gtzn81 both have teles that are ready for paint. In that order. They are next to finish.

I have two repairs I'm doing in between.

You and Sonar1 both have Apaches that have the body shape and necks cut, and are right next, in that order.

I'm multi-tasking, doing the next steps in "leapfrog". I'll be spraying their teles this week. As they are drying between clear coats, work proceeds on both your and Sonar's Apaches, while also the neck pull I have to do on an SG gets heated up and removed.

There are several others after you. The customers have been informed of what's in front of them. Very patient guys, those guys. -As you and Sonar1 have blessedly been. :)

There has been a delay this week while CG's was being shipped. I've installed a cooling system in my shop so I can work in there all day. This is new to DSG. Used to be, I could only get a few hours in during morning, then wait to after dark for about two hours more.

I've just over the last few days installed a huge swamp cooler, ran water to it around the house and into the shop.

It's cool as a cucumber in there, so I know I can work all day. This will significantly speed up production.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've had one too many inquires on this, so let's set it straight.

There is nothing wrong with the string spacing on the low E.

Pictures earlier reflected the camera angle from which the shot was taken.

Here's what it looks like from another angle:

SG12.jpg

Now it looks like it's over too far the other way

Angle of camera lens to target, folks.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
Don't worry, Mud.

Nobody's sneaking in before you, I can promise you that.

Schedule is this:

Olds442 and Gtzn81 both have teles that are ready for paint. In that order. They are next to finish.

I have two repairs I'm doing in between.

You and Sonar1 both have Apaches that have the body shape and necks cut, and are right next, in that order.

I'm multi-tasking, doing the next steps in "leapfrog". I'll be spraying their teles this week. As they are drying between clear coats, work proceeds on both your and Sonar's Apaches, while also the neck pull I have to do on an SG gets heated up and removed.

There are several others after you. The customers have been informed of what's in front of them. Very patient guys, those guys. -As you and Sonar1 have blessedly been. :)

There has been a delay this week while CG's was being shipped. I've installed a cooling system in my shop so I can work in there all day. This is new to DSG. Used to be, I could only get a few hours in during morning, then wait to after dark for about two hours more.

I've just over the last few days installed a huge swamp cooler, ran water to it around the house and into the shop.

It's cool as a cucumber in there, so I know I can work all day. This will significantly speed up production.
Once I get my Apache Dave,... can you promise I won’t ask for another....:rofl:

Don’t worry my friend.... I think the Apache will be good for me for a while.... I think. Then of course I have a couple of refrets to ask from you.

Right now my job has got me pretty busy...and has for a while... got no time to be bothering you over a build amigo.

Besides I love your work and would never think to rush that.

Master Cool are the best swamp coolers out there.... huge cfms..... little maintenance.... large cardboard pads.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Once I get my Apache Dave,... can you promise I won’t ask for another....:rofl:

Don’t worry my friend.... I think the Apache will be good for me for a while.... I think. Then of course I have a couple of refrets to ask from you.

Right now my job has got me pretty busy...and has for a while... got no time to be bothering you over a build amigo.

Besides I love your work and would never think to rush that.

Master Cool are the best swamp coolers out there.... huge cfms..... little maintenance.... large cardboard pads.

Preferred Customer, mud. .

You can have all the DSG's you want!

I'm just overjoyed this will be your third DSG.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

View attachment 543046

I'm so happy CerebralGasket came in during the design of this and insisted on pure white binding over cream.

He was absolutely right.

SG's and a few others in that family have a bit extra wide binding with nibs. .090 binding instead of the LP .060 binding.

I call it "tuxedo binding", because its extra-dressy. .090 went on this guitar. I'm glad of the choices made..

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
I'm so happy CerebralGasket came in during the design of this and insisted on pure white binding over cream.

He was absolutely right.

SG's and a few others in that family have a bit extra wide binding with nibs. .090 binding instead of the LP .060 binding.

I call it "tuxedo binding", because its extra-dressy. .090 went on this guitar. I'm glad of the choices made..
I also noticed on CG’s SG is the use of the later model neck joint. Did you feel this is a stronger join over the early ‘60s design?...... I always thought it was myself.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I also noticed on CG’s SG is the use of the later model neck joint. Did you feel this is a stronger join over the early ‘60s design?...... I always thought it was myself.
The early 60's design doesn't have the support around it that the traditional jrs and specials have. That makes it weaker, IMO. Though to be completely objective and honest, I have never seen one come apart.

The joint I made (which I as you prefer) on this SG is the later "les paul" style tenon, such as this:

unnamed.jpg

Plenty of thick support around it.

On the earlier joint, here's a pic of one of Pete Townshend's 64 SG's he smashed:

image6.jpg

He also smashed plenty of 67, 68 and 69 models. I've seen a few pics, and in one of them, the body had come apart, separating the neck joint vertically. In fact, he smashed one just for photographer Annie Liebowitz.

All this says to me that the damn thing is pretty robust in any form, and it takes a madman like PT to make them come apart.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
The only neck joint I found to be fatal were the early DC specials of ‘58 where the neck pup was too close to the neck...as the P90 route cut most of the neck tenon out... I had a friend that had his snap. Later DC specials moved the pup closer to the center of the body leaving more of the tenon intact.... by the time of the SG Gibson learned how to address this problem.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ya, I've referred a few people to the Lt, but I think I only referred one before I got my deposit in.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

View attachment 543046

ROFL

Let me see if I got this straight... :hmm:

A luthier who has built a considerable number of guitars-- all to rave reviews-- for clients who've ranged from professional musicians to highly accomplished amateur musicians gets yet another contract to build, this time for a player with decades of experience under his belt... right so far?

Right! :thumb:

BUT somehow the luthier suddenly forgot how to cut a nut, how to line up strings from bridge to nut-- and so forth-- and so suddenly muffs a job so badly that it's almost comical? Is that what somebody believed?

And after that, they also believed that the accomplished guitarist who contracted the work dfdn't NOTICE that there's something way off about this guitar? And instead, the accomplished guitarist raves about the instrument's quality and then submits a recording of himself playing the instrument beautifully-- even though the guitar is pretty much FUBAR?

So both the luthier and the guitarist who commissioned the hand-built guitar DON'T NOTICE that shit is seriously akimbo on the fretboard? Is that what somebody actually thought? :laugh2:

And oh my... SO hard to figure out that the distortion in the photo is the result of photographic paralax. I mean, that's just such an advanced kind of topic to comprehend!

--R :rofl:

Last edited:

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
ROFL

Let me see if I got this straight... :hmm:

A luthier who has built a considerable number of guitars-- all to rave reviews-- for clients who've ranged from professional musicians to highly accomplished amateur musicians gets yet another contract to build, this time for a player with decades of experience under his belt... right so far?

Right! :thumb:

BUT somehow the luthier suddenly forgot hot to cut a nut, how to line up strings from bridge to nut-- and so forth-- and so suddenly muffs a job so badly that it's almost comical? Is that what somebody believed?

And after that, they also believed that the accomplished guitarist who contracted the work dfdn't NOTICE that there's something way off about this guitar? And instead, the accomplished guitarist raves about the instrument's quality and then submits a recording of himself playing the instrument beautifully-- even though the guitar is pretty much FUBAR?

So both the luthier and the guitarist who commissioned the hand-built guitar DON'T NOTICE that shit is seriously akimbo on the fretboard? Is that what somebody actually thought? :laugh2:

And oh my... SO hard to figure out that the distortion in the photo is the result of photographic paralax. I mean, that's just such an advanced kind of topic to comprehend!

--R :rofl:
Duuuude, the high eeeeeeeee!!!!!!

I mean Dave made mine without the high e. He said only shitty players need a high e. Now that's custom brother!

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 543046

OH SWEET! A 5-STRING DSG! PERFECT FOR STONES COVERS! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Latest Threads