NGD Desert Star 008 “DC Junior”

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess I'm gonna' have to wait a while if I want one that matches one of my Bo-Straps?

View attachment 449145
We do reserve custom serial numbers and make commemoratives

We can do a birthday serial #, wedding date, etc. Or matching #s to some other gear.

Pop1655 had a special number engraved on his neck plate, even though his guitar serial # was DSG003.

Roman4405

Reaction score
Man, that Jr is something special. I talked to you a while back about a Tele build but I’ve been missing having a Dual P90 guitar. Love the headstock logo, I’m thinking a Double Cut Special in white with that copper filler and a ‘58 neck profile would be perfect.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that Jr is something special. I talked to you a while back about a Tele build but I’ve been missing having a Dual P90 guitar. Love the headstock logo, I’m thinking a Double Cut Special in white with that copper filler and a ‘58 neck profile would be perfect.
I love doing DC juniors and specials. Probably my favorite builds. I'd love to build that white w / copper filler! And I love '58 necks. Shoot me a PM and we'll discuss..

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could think of something I needed/wanted, but my imagination is kaput, presently.

All that comes to mind is derivative, like a 2XP-90 SG with a fat neck.
Hey, I've got two SG's with two P-90's each going right now. @CerebralGasket is ready for grain filler and spray (classic TV yellow), right behind Roland's custom V. I've got another SG, Iommi style (Celtic Cross inlays) going for another guy with a couple of P-90s.

I love doing SG's too. I first thought the bevels would be tough to deal with, but I was pleasantly wrong on that. I love SG bevels and quickly got a knack for them. (The secret is consistency. Just like knife sharpening, you have to bevel them by working it at a consistent angle).

SG's are rather strange at first start-out. You have it roughed to shape on the bench. Horns but no bevels yet. You think "how is this going to turn into a 1 3/8 deep SG? " -But it does, and when you have all that beveled and routed and done, it's awesome, just sitting there.

SG building tip for those playing at home: Best off with a 2.5 degree neck angle. You are okay with 3 degrees if you're doing a bat-wing pick guard, because you go through the guard when mounting the bridge posts. But if you're doing a half-guard, it's better with 2.5 degrees. You get that nice, low bridge with that shallow angle.

Also, you have to use a block jig @2.5 or 3 degrees and cut it on a router table to get the cheek cut on the neck tenon shoulders. -If you want that nice, tight shoulder match.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been playing this 008 for a while now..... and its like I got it yesterday.....
The honeymoon hasn’t ended.

Of all my guitars..... that includes Historics and a couple vintage pieces.... everyone I know is attracted to this little DC..... players and non-players alike. I’ve been asked to sell... I’ll tell them about Dave and how they can get their own..... they’re having none of that... they want that one.

Nope, this ones mine buddy.

I do have another...... yes, a third DSG that @LtDave32 is gonna build me...a completely original model that Dave and Anna has dreamed up.... I’m sure it’s gonna be a hit out of the ball park. I’m confident about their work it’s already paid for..... without a single piece of wood cut....;)

DSGs are awesome guitars.

Last edited:

socialhero

Reaction score
I need a new guitar like I need a hole in my head.

Buuuuuut the band is going to start cutting another album at some point in 2021... and I’ve only used the guitars I’ve already got on the last three... :hmm:

Beautiful work as always. I love the finish on the DC. The grain on that darker color reminds me of when Kauer does the “Starry Night” finish. Gorgeous. :thumb:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been playing this 008 for a while now..... and its like I got it yesterday.....
The honeymoon hasn’t ended.

Of all my guitars..... that includes Historics and a couple vintage pieces.... everyone I know is attracted to this little DC..... players and non-players alike. I’ve been asked to sell... I’ll tell them about Dave and how they can get their own..... they’re having none of that... they want that one.

Nope, this ones mine buddy.

I do have another...... yes, a third DSG that @LtDave32 is gonna build me...a completely original model that Dave and Anna has dreamed up.... I’m sure it’s gonna be a hit out of the ball park. I’m confident about their work it’s already paid for..... without a single piece of wood cut....;)

DSGs are awesome guitars.
Mud is getting the very first of our original "Apache" line. He's getting the top-drawer model.

There will be models ranging from a basic, no-frills under 1K (yet still with a one-piece Hounduran mahog neck) to Top Drawer fancies that cost more. -But totally deliver. Mud's will be at the very top of that line. And the first one with its commemorative serial number.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a new guitar like I need a hole in my head.

Buuuuuut the band is going to start cutting another album at some point in 2021... and I’ve only used the guitars I’ve already got on the last three... :hmm:

Beautiful work as always. I love the finish on the DC. The grain on that darker color reminds me of when Kauer does the “Starry Night” finish. Gorgeous. :thumb:

Anna will patch the hole in the head.

You need a custom-built guitar. You know you do.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Hey, I've got two SG's with two P-90's each going right now. @CerebralGasket is ready for grain filler and spray (classic TV yellow), right behind Roland's custom V. I've got another SG, Iommi style (Celtic Cross inlays) going for another guy with a couple of P-90s.

I love doing SG's too. I first thought the bevels would be tough to deal with, but I was pleasantly wrong on that. I love SG bevels and quickly got a knack for them. (The secret is consistency. Just like knife sharpening, you have to bevel them by working it at a consistent angle).

SG's are rather strange at first start-out. You have it roughed to shape on the bench. Horns but no bevels yet. You think "how is this going to turn into a 1 3/8 deep SG? " -But it does, and when you have all that beveled and routed and done, it's awesome, just sitting there.

SG building tip for those playing at home: Best off with a 2.5 degree neck angle. You are okay with 3 degrees if you're doing a bat-wing pick guard, because you go through the guard when mounting the bridge posts. But if you're doing a half-guard, it's better with 2.5 degrees. You get that nice, low bridge with that shallow angle.

Also, you have to use a block jig @2.5 or 3 degrees and cut it on a router table to get the cheek cut on the neck tenon shoulders. -If you want that nice, tight shoulder match.
Thanks so much for posting that info on the neck angle and tenon shoulders. My first scratch build is going to be a 3 p90 SG custom type thing :)

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for posting that info on the neck angle and tenon shoulders. My first scratch build is going to be a 3 p90 SG custom type thing :)
See Freddy's video (I think #8) on building a LP. He goes over that block jig and the use of it for cutting the shoulders and cheeks. of the neck tenon.

If you get templates, I found that they don't always account for that. You have to add that angle in via the box jig.

builder's tip #2:

Drill for pickup wiring before you glue the neck. You may well have to drill in the neck pocket straight along the pickup path. If you try and drill at the edge of the pup rout from the side and at an angle, well.. SG's aren't very deep. You may end up drilling yourself an "ohnoes"..

Roxy13

Reaction score
See Freddy's video (I think #8) on building a LP. He goes over that block jig and the use of it for cutting the shoulders and cheeks. of the neck tenon.

If you get templates, I found that they don't always account for that. You have to add that angle in via the box jig.
I haven't made templates yet because I don't have my spindle sander yet. With the roof repair I put everything off this fall and decided to wait for Black Friday. Well, now it looks like Ridgid may have just discontinued that sander :run: I'm going to call them tomorrow to try to find out what the deal is with it. If they are just delayed getting more? Is a new one coming out? Or do I need to buy a different brand? The air compressor I want will be on sale next week at Lowes.

Latest Threads