NGD - Custom Shop Non Reverse Firebird with 3 P-90's!

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got a notification that it was moved, but I didn't know I had posted it in the wrong section. :doh:
You were too busy sweating the pickup ordeal!

It's understandable. :laugh2:

Gar

Reaction score
Wow, I love that guitar. I have a Reverse Firebird V and also this 2015 Non-Reverse Firebird. I love the mini humbucker Firebird pickups, they're my favourite pickups and guitars. I would like a P90 version or a vintage model in the future. You could remove the middle pickup and put on a new guard if you don't use it, or just try and enjoy it for what it is, different guitars for different jobs and all that. 20190804_144457.jpg

mdubya

Reaction score
You were too busy sweating the pickup ordeal!

It's understandable. :laugh2:

Ha! I DID post this thread first.

But I had some time on my hands here at work on the lead up to the holiday weekend and started the other thread right after. :p

Wow, I love that guitar. I have a Reverse Firebird V and also this 2015 Non-Reverse Firebird. I love the mini humbucker Firebird pickups, they're my favourite pickups and guitars. I would like a P90 version or a vintage model in the future. You could remove the middle pickup and put on a new guard if you don't use it, or just try and enjoy it for what it is, different guitars for different jobs and all that. View attachment 403256
I really started off looking for the Firebird mini version. I owned an FB V Reverse for about 10 years. I have been looking at those, too. Ultimately I would love to have an FB III Reverse, but another V would be fine.

I agree with your suggestions and a two pickup pickguard is a definite possibility. I thought for sure these pickups were going to be adjustable like the mini FB pickup version and like my SG Classic. When I saw that they were not, I started looking for solutions. One solution is to keep going, as is. Most likely, I will get the routes done and live happily ever after.

mdubya

Reaction score
Yeah, but you put it in the wrong dang section! :squint:

:laugh2:

I am about 98% self destructive insane. I am lucky I can usually remember to pull my pants up before I leave the house in the morning. :lol:

sLowBrian

Reaction score
Speaking as someone who loves Firebirds but up till now has considered the typical "sunburst(?)" colour the ONLY 'Bird worth having.... let me say congratulation on a simply exquisite example of a beautiful instrument! Not sure if I like the colour or the grain effect through it more but either way I am salivating right now at your pics and sound clips.... P90's certainly have an awesome sound! I have the reverse 'bird, with the mini humbuckers and I love it deeply. Of late I have been lusting after a non-reverse, but it might be a while before I can afford one... I waited about 25 years to get my Firebird late last year.

Again congrats, beautiful guitar with awesome tone!! Hope you solve the pickup height issues, I have a feeling you will!

Cheers

Brian

mdubya

Reaction score
State of the guitar:

For those not following the thread in the luthier section, I finally got this back after it was stranded with the luthier for 4 months.

The luthier didn't have the time to really do what I wanted so I am just glad to have the guitar back.

The middle pickup was still too high and really causing me problems with picking. He did do some nice setup work, and routed the middle pickup some, but he didn't have the time to bury it almost flush with the pick guard like I wanted (tricky work and one wrong move could be disaster). I tried to get along with it, but could not.

For one thing, it was bottoming out on the pole screws. So I removed the pole screws, removed the cover, and shortened the mounting screws, just for a temporary fix. But OMG, it is playable now! And so sweet!

I know plenty of people play P-90's with the cover removed. I think I am going to cut the pole screws short and just live with it, as is.

I would call this a hack job, but it is simple to put it all back like it was.

Other than the missing pole screws, you probably wouldn't even notice anything from the photo.

Gar

Reaction score
You gotta do what works and it still looks cool. Is the finish on these glossy or satin? It's hard to tell from photos.

mdubya

Reaction score
You gotta do what works and it still looks cool. Is the finish on these glossy or satin? It's hard to tell from photos.
Thank you. :thumb:

It is glossy.

I haven't had time to do much more than just play it every chance I get, but I am loving it and taking my time deciding how to proceed.

I am not calling it the White Whale anymore as it has stopped fighting me.

Reactions: Gar

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Looks great. But if you gig that thing, you're going to get at least one guy per show asking you what the mysterious middle pickup is. Glad you finally have the guitar back.

I often find myself picking over the neck pickup on my guitars. The staple in my '55 reissue and the p90 in my classic never seem to get in the way, although the pickup covers might eventually show some sign of abuse. That middle pickup must have been pretty high to get in your way as badly as it did.

mdubya

Reaction score
Looks great. But if you gig that thing, you're going to get at least one guy per show asking you what the mysterious middle pickup is. Glad you finally have the guitar back.

I often find myself picking over the neck pickup on my guitars. The staple in my '55 reissue and the p90 in my classic never seem to get in the way, although the pickup covers might eventually show some sign of abuse. That middle pickup must have been pretty high to get in your way as badly as it did.
:thumb:

Chances are unlikely that I will do any gigging, but you never know.

All 3 pickups were right up against the strings, none of them adjustable.

For rhythm, it was not too bad, but trying to pick single string stuff was difficult. The high E was even fretting out against the bridge P-90, it was so close to the strings.

I will make it appear whole, eventually. I just need the time and opportunity to do it the right way.

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That KILLS! I love it! Sounds great too. I used to have a 1965 FB 3 with 3 P 90s. I always hoped I'd find one of these to replace it someday.

mdubya

Reaction score
That KILLS! I love it! Sounds great too. I used to have a 1965 FB 3 with 3 P 90s. I always hoped I'd find one of these to replace it someday.

:dude::dude::dude:

It is awesome. Gets better every day!

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Ive been eyeballing one of those for a while but it's too expensive. If the guy lists it again for a more sensible price im jumping on that for sure. Always loved the look of tv white on mahogany body.

mdubya

Reaction score
Ive been eyeballing one of those for a while but it's too expensive. If the guy lists it again for a more sensible price im jumping on that for sure. Always loved the look of tv white on mahogany body.

There are many listed for well above what they actually sell for.

I had to stalk them for quite sometime to find one with a realistic price. I missed a few in that period, too. This one was listed at a reasonable price and sold before I could grab it. A few months later, it was for sale again, same reasonable price. That is when I snagged it.

For this guitar, I think it went unplayed due to the non-adjustable pickup issue. Now that I have lowered the middle pickup, I can't put the guitar down. I LOVE it.

Gibson showed a slew of Custom Shop 'birds at NAMM. I won't buy new (unless I can find a killer deal) but I can't wait for them to hit the used market!

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I had been stalking one just like that in the Philly 'burbs...is that the one?
I LOVE mine...it's my #1.
I've grown accustomed to the pickup placement.
The slider switch is fiddley...toggle is probably a good move.
What is the switching like?
The selections were the only thing I couldn't live with on mine...B, B/M, N.
No N/B like God intended!
Now mine is set up as bit like a Tele...3 position switch with master volume and tone. B, N/B, N
I wired the "other" volume pot to the middle pickup so it can come in and out at any time.
This way I get all 7 possible combinations including all 3.
I really like N/M for a big meaty P90 version of Strat quack.
Cool guitar.
Enjoy it!!

002.JPG