NGD Craigslist Find Ibanez AR325

Kong

Reaction score
Picked up this beauty off Craigs today. Ibanez AR325. I thought it looked pretty cool and the switching options are interesting. I gave it a quick cleaning, oiled the fretboard and installed new strings. Intonation is close, I'll adjust tomorrow. Action is low and no noticeable buzzing. Pickups sound nice, still figuring out all the switching options with the parallel/split/series switches for each pickup. What a top, that Bubinga wood is really gorgeous.

I may rewire it but it is sure to be a pain with the extra switches. It has tiny pots, I don't see how a guitar with a $600 street price should come with those garbage pots. I hate the feel of them. I paid $320 and it is mint, mint mint. Not a scratch to be found, still had the plastic on the cavity covers. The neck heel is nice easy access to the upper frets. The neck dive is worse than my SG but a wide strap will help I'm sure.

If I can't bond with it, I'm pretty sure I could recoup my $ pretty easily. On to the pics:

thebuddybud

Reaction score
This is the exact guitar i was going to purchase next... How bad is the neck dive? I absolutely cannot stand neck dive, it completely kills a guitar for me...

Kong

Reaction score
This is the exact guitar i was going to purchase next... How bad is the neck dive? I absolutely cannot stand neck dive, it completely kills a guitar for me...
It is pretty bad but I was using a thin nylon strap. When I use a 4" wide suede Levy's it usually takes care of it for me.

I would try and find one with this body type and try it out before you buy. It might be a deal breaker for you.

thebuddybud

Reaction score
If its worse than an SG than i think i should probably skip this guitar... Its a shame because i loved the idea of the switches.

Kong

Reaction score
If its worse than an SG than i think i should probably skip this guitar... Its a shame because i loved the idea of the switches.

I think it is on par with an SG. I'm thinking of trying wheel weights stuck to the inside of the cavity cover to see if I can balance it out.

'Hege

Reaction score
Nice guitar!

Neck dive killed the SG for me, is this Ibanez model prone to it for a particular reason?

My ART100 does not have any balance issues, and doesn't feel remotely like an SG once strapped on...

Thanks for posting. Nice pics.

Kong

Reaction score
Nice guitar!

Neck dive killed the SG for me, is this Ibanez model prone to it for a particular reason?

My ART100 does not have any balance issues, and doesn't feel remotely like an SG once strapped on...

Thanks for posting. Nice pics.
The fact that it has a lighter body due to it being a double cut; and because neck meets the body around the 20th fret contributes to it being neck-heavy. Pretty much the same reasons why the SG has neck dive.

I would imagine your ART100 should have similar balance to a Les Paul.

'Hege

Reaction score
The fact that it has a lighter body due to it being a double cut; and because neck meets the body around the 20th fret contributes to it being neck-heavy. Pretty much the same reasons why the SG has neck dive.

I would imagine your ART100 should have similar balance to a Les Paul.
You are correct on that, sir!
Crossing this one off my list. "Prone to neck dive". But yours is clearly a beauty.
Enjoy:thumb:

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
Using a leather strap, i never experienced neck dive on mine. Mine is the AR300 and i gigged mine exclusively for about a year. Never struggled with neck dive

Fwiw..

At OP, sexy fiddle mate

Kong

Reaction score
Oh well easy come easy go. I had it for a week. I really was falling in love with it. The pickups are really good. Love the switching options and she was a sweet player. Really nice tone clean or overdriven. Fit and finish were immaculate. So what happened?

My buddy calls me today he is on the way to Guitar Center with his 15 year old daughter to look at guitars. I say why don't you swing by my place and I can show her some of my guitars and amps. Let's see if there is a certain style of guitar that feels good to her, or will suit her taste in music.

I mention that when buying a mid-level guitar I think you can get a lot more bang for your buck on the used market (Craigs) if you know what you're looking for (I do). I break out the Ibanez and the kids face lights up. She straps it on and she loves it. She already plays bass so she knows a few chords and how to hold it. I show her a Strat, a Dot, an ES-339, a couple Les Pauls even an explorer. After trying them all I say which one do you like. She says the Ibanez. I show my buddy that they are $600 new. I tell him how I just stole this one last week for $320 and there is not a scratch and yada yada. I ask his daughter if she would like it. So based on the giant grin I'm assuming she wants it. I ask my buddy if he wants to buy it and I say just give me the $320 I paid for it. I made sure to mention I had no intention of selling it ... ever. I also sold him a gig bag and strap and just asked him to pay me replacement cost.

Gave them my Spider Jam to borrow to play the guitar for a while and I give him my spiel on amps. I basically told him that an expensive guitar played through a bad amp will sound crappy, and a cheap guitar through a great amp will likely sound decent. I think for starters a decent Solid State amp with built in effects is a good route. Then she can go the tube route later if she finds that is the tone she seeks. The Spider Jam has a crap-ton of effects, built in backing tracks, recording capability and at 75W is loud enough to play with a drummer.

Gonna miss that Ibanez but happy to pay it forward. It is so versatile and well made I think it makes a great first guitar, or even last guitar. She can learn on it but it is a good enough guitar to take as far as she wants to go. And I get first dibs if she decides to sell it.

dspelman

Reaction score
You should be aware that this guitar is NOT like the original (early '80's) AR300 series; the bodies are a slightly different shape and thinner and much lighter, etc.

I have an '82 AR300 with a seriously heavy solid mahogany body and NO neck dive.

endial

Reaction score
Dude, I'm torn hearing this story, 'cause I was real envious of your score. But paying it forward like that will always be much more rewarding than the "Lookie-what-I-got-and-you-ain't-got" psyche. Good on ya.

Also on the plus side is the fact that you steered your buddy in the right direction and won't have to fret those dreaded words:
"I just bought my daughter/son a guitar package from *insert questionable retailer here*, what do you think?"

:thumb:

Hopefully, karma is rewarding down the road. You're a good man.

questionman

Reaction score
The neck dive has been a deal breaker for you. Its awful. Even with a big strap its still pretty bad.

The neck on mine is also nearly as thick as the body.

ajaxajax2000

Reaction score
Lovely Ibanez! Just beautiful. Congrat's!!!

With this strap I have absolutely NO problem with neck dive on my SG. It's some Levy's model, don't know which, but very comfy... :thumb: