Reaction score
Looks familiar!

Happy NGD!
Out of all the guitars I've had the Explorer is the only one I miss,
but I just couldn't gel with the neck.

geddy

Reaction score
Nice score.

I'm really getting attached to the Epi korina that I just bought. Just feels great to play.

+1 on naptha for cleaning fretboards.

DennisMiller

Reaction score
That is just soooooooooo nice!!!!! Which means it demands a sound file be added to this thread...

Receiving dirty guitars seems to be the thing to do this week. I'm about to start cleaning up the Ibanez S470 I received yesterday. My wife teased me it's such a mess I should make it sleep outside on the patio instead of bringing it into the house.

AleisterCrowley

Reaction score
Nice score!

It is an enjoyable ritual to remove the err....'essence'...of the previous owner,
cleansing the slate,
in preparation for your journeys ahead.

truckermde

Reaction score
Oh man, that's a real beauty!

Definitely on my all-time list...

HNGD:)

lunchbox

Reaction score
I had a '76 exactly like that. Loved it, but had to sell it to pay rent a long time ago. Awesome gits.

Jedadiah

Reaction score
Not a lover generally of Explorers, i have to say, that looks REAL nice! Congrats mate, may you play in good health!

lunchbox

Reaction score
Not a lover generally of Explorers, i have to say, that looks REAL nice! Congrats mate, may you play in good health!

IMO, they look even better with gold knobs and the covers on the pups. :thumb:

1976gibsonexplorer.jpg

Sharky

Reaction score
really nice find, HNED!

If I buy a used guitar I line up all the chemicals I need to make it mine. I use a bit of window cleaner for the fretboard first, but I don't soak it with it. I let it dry good, which only takes a few minutes. Then I'll take the 6000 grid micro mesh and grind the fretboard thorroughly. That doesn't take off much material but leaves an ultrasmooth surface. A bit of window cleaner again and the ground wood will erect it's little hairs that I grind off with the even finer micromesh. Wipe off dry, apply Lemonoil that I'll let sink into the wood for a few minutes and polish it out with and old sock and a lot of ellbow grease.

The micromesh is also great for the frets, leaves a highgloss surface for smooth bends

Chadd

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar, that is exactly what I want in an explorer but can never find around here.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
really nice find, HNED!

If I buy a used guitar I line up all the chemicals I need to make it mine. I use a bit of window cleaner for the fretboard first, but I don't soak it with it. I let it dry good, which only takes a few minutes. Then I'll take the 6000 grid micro mesh and grind the fretboard thorroughly. That doesn't take off much material but leaves an ultrasmooth surface. A bit of window cleaner again and the ground wood will erect it's little hairs that I grind off with the even finer micromesh. Wipe off dry, apply Lemonoil that I'll let sink into the wood for a few minutes and polish it out with and old sock and a lot of ellbow grease.

The micromesh is also great for the frets, leaves a highgloss surface for smooth bends

Window cleaner? Like Windex?:shock:

Electroman67

Reaction score
That is just soooooooooo nice!!!!! Which means it demands a sound file be added to this thread...

Receiving dirty guitars seems to be the thing to do this week. I'm about to start cleaning up the Ibanez S470 I received yesterday. My wife teased me it's such a mess I should make it sleep outside on the patio instead of bringing it into the house.

Well since it demands a sound file, here's something i've recorded over the last 2 nights messin round, rough draft for now but i'm diggin the groove.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/mikekefr/what-can-i-do[/SC]

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
IMO, they look even better with gold knobs and the covers on the pups. :thumb:

1976gibsonexplorer.jpg

I'm about to replace the pickups in my Epi Korina Explorer with Duncans but cannot decide whether to cover them or leave them open coiled. Looking at the pictures in the OP I think I want to go open coiled and to put black speed knobs on it, but looking at the picture above makes me want to cover them and leave the gold speed knobs on there.

Electroman67

Reaction score
I'm about to replace the pickups in my Epi Korina Explorer with Duncans but cannot decide whether to cover them or leave them open coiled. Looking at the pictures in the OP I think I want to go open coiled and to put black speed knobs on it, but looking at the picture above makes me want to cover them and leave the gold speed knobs on there.

I like the look of the gold knobs and the gold p'up covers as well but my bridge and tail piece have a fair amount of age & wear on them, don't know how the new shiny gold w/ look with the dull worn gold right beside it :hmm:

Keep us posted Colchar, would love to see whatever upgrades you go with.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I like the look of the gold knobs and the gold p'up covers as well but my bridge and tail piece have a fair amount of age & wear on them, don't know how the new shiny gold w/ look with the dull worn gold right beside it :hmm:

That is why I am considering aged gold covers :thumb:

The gold on Epi hardware starts to wear off about 8 seconds after you pick up the guitar so I figure aged gold covers are the way to go. I was considering upgrading the bridge and tailpiece with nickel ones, which would mean I would go for nickel pickup covers, but that hardware is decent enough so I doubt I will do those particular upgrades (don't want to throw too much money into an Epi). If I change my mind about that somewhere down the line I could always just grab a gold bridge and tailpiece as well.

Funnily enough, I really disliked gold hardware before buying this guitar. I am over that now.

Keep us posted Colchar, would love to see whatever upgrades you go with.

I will.

Latest Threads