NGD content, not sure if its a keeper...

In this scenario, my options are:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

protestheriphery

Reaction score
The '61 Reissue has been on my GAS list since 2014, and Ive been itching to legit scoop one up since last March. Also, this is my first NGD since December 2016, so I cant help but feel a little ceremonious about it.

At last, I FINALLY did the dirty deed and pulled the trigger. Yesterday I took delivery of a new December 2020 SG 61 Standard. It has a factory date of 12/3//20, so thats a little cool tidbit. In this scenario, I went through a local store. I tried an in stock model, but was set on buying one in a box. Wanted to do an unboxing in the spirit of the occasion. But alas, this acquisition is not without a few caveats...

So, I had the store ship another one from their warehouse, for pickup at their location. Its a real PITA for me to take deliveries at home. When I pick it up at the store, I notice the case shifts around in the factory Gibson box. That gives me a little anxiety.

Now, I get this jammer home and commence with the whole ceremony. I give it a quick inspection, and everything looked ok. Only thing strange I can find is theres some light colored residue in the "bookend" crease, at the top of the headstock. Hmmm, kinda weird...

Either way I plug it in to my amp, and begin tuning it up. Immediately, I notice the G string is buzzing hard. I suppose a truss rod adjustment is in order. Also, I notice that this guy has been restrung with .010s. Arent they supposed to come setup with .09s? Hmm... Then I take the amp off standby and play a little. The next glaring issue is that the neck pu was hiked way up against the low E string. At the 7th fret the string rattled against the pickup. So I had to get out a screwdriver and fix the height.

Neck PU and initial setup aside, the one thing I'm kinda bothered with is the weight. I put it on the scale out of curiosity, and it came in at around 7.5 lbs. If I had a choice, Id prefer it be 6 and some change. But that's just a little nitpick of mine. On to the poll...

Attachments

Last edited:

peobryant

Reaction score
If you aren't completely happy, I'd send it back. For what it's worth, Gibson's website lists these as coming from the factory with 10s.

Wildwood Guitars has three '61 SG Standards in stock, all of them under 7 pounds.

If you do decide to send this one back, I don't think there is a better place to buy a guitar than Wildwood. They set your guitar up to your preference, with your choice of strings and on their website you can see the actual guitar you're buying as well as specs like weight and neck depth. I

ChuckHall03

Reaction score
Second buying from Wildwood. They have top notch customer service and it’s just a great group of guys over there. I’ll buy/order through them whenever I can. Helps they are also about 10 minutes down the road from me, but if I moved I’d still order online.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you're ordering without playing first, I can't imagine needing things that specific is going to work out for you unless you can get an in-hand description, with exact weight, at time of order. A poor factory setup is also quite common, IME.

bblooz

Reaction score
SGs are notorious for "neck-dive", because of the unbalanced body/neck weights. If the extra weight is in the body, perhaps this will alleviate some of that. If not, and you're not happy, send it back. When you buy something new, and spend that much, you should be totally satisfied. If it was a used instrument, you'd expect some typical issues, but not something right of the showroom floor.....

narsenyev

Reaction score
SGs are notorious for "neck-dive", because of the unbalanced body/neck weights. If the extra weight is in the body, perhaps this will alleviate some of that. If not, and you're not happy, send it back. When you buy something new, and spend that much, you should be totally satisfied. If it was a used instrument, you'd expect some typical issues, but not something right of the showroom floor.....
I had an SG for a few years... And it taught me I don’t like SGs

Well, I don’t like the compromises a lot of them have. If I ever get another one, it’ll have to have:

no neck dive (probably means lightweight klusons)
chunky neck
no dead spot on G string around 10th fret (apparently commonplace)?

to OP, i’d suggest checking for dead spots around there (and elsewhere). If it has any, I’d return just for that reason

otherwise i’d welcome the weight!

protestheriphery

Reaction score
I've heard that thats a thing. Lighter SG'S dive more.I dont mind it, I only play seated anyway. I had an 07 standard that didnt dive. Never weighted it, though. Back then, it wasn't a concern

protestheriphery

Reaction score
If you're ordering without playing first, I can't imagine needing things that specific is going to work out for you unless you can get an in-hand description, with exact weight, at time of order. A poor factory setup is also quite common, IME.
Yeah, I figure it's not out of the ordinary for the neck on the guitar to move, due to shifting temperatures during transit. I'm a little confused about the pu height though. Doesnt make sense why it got out of place. Maybe vibration...?

protestheriphery

Reaction score
If you aren't completely happy, I'd send it back. For what it's worth, Gibson's website lists these as coming from the factory with 10s.

Wildwood Guitars has three '61 SG Standards in stock, all of them under 7 pounds.

If you do decide to send this one back, I don't think there is a better place to buy a guitar than Wildwood. They set your guitar up to your preference, with your choice of strings and on their website you can see the actual guitar you're buying as well as specs like weight and neck depth. I
Coincidence you mention them. I saw one on their site that was listed as 6.37 lbs. That one has me pretty curious. Also, touche on the strings. For some reason, my mind keeps picturing them listend on Sweetwater as .09s. I must've got mixed up with a different guitar. The floor model I tried kinda felt like it had 09s, but I dont exactly have the best sense for that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Gibsons used to ship with 10 - 46 for years. Since 2014 they sometimes use a 9 - 46 hybrid set. Also, some stores detune them so that they feel slinkier to play. Guitar Center was notorious or that. I used to bring a tuning fork with me in the old days, they were always a half-step low.

Latest Threads