NGD - Classic Player Jazzmaster

Clump

Reaction score
I've been intrigued by the Fender offsets for a long time. I tried a blacktop Jaguar a couple of years ago and it just didn't work out. There was just something blah about it, even after a pickup change.

I tried out some of the Squier JMs and they were OK, but felt kinda cheap. Tried an AVRI and it was a very nice guitar, with a pretty nasty price of admission and a 7.25 radius board with vintage frets.

I couldn't find a Classic Player to try anywhere, but the specs seemed pretty well perfect for me. A lot of people criticize the CP as not a real Jazzmaster, due to the Tune-o-matic style bridge, relocated trem and more p-90 type pups. Since the AVRI was the closest I came to a "real" 1 none of that bothers me!

I ordered this 1 from Sweetwater. As usual they treated me right. It plays very well and boy are there a bunch of tones in there. Yesterday I peeled the plastic off the PG, lemon oiled the board, restrung with 10s and tweaked a bit. The action is pretty well perfect for me now. Lots of great clean sounds and cranked up it's pushing my 5F1 Champ clone into really nice drive.

It's also kinda pretty. Really loving the stripey figure on the board. Full sun outdoor beauty shots:

RaSTuS26

Reaction score
Nice tri-burst there, cool you finally found one to suit you, who cares what the purists think, they aren't playing it, congrats and HNGD.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
CP line is good stuff, they corrected all the issues that make offset people nuts with the originals.
The original bridge was gawd awful. They changed the break angle by pushing the trem further back. Call it JazzMaster 2.0.

Inland Bagpipe

Reaction score
much better buy than buying one of the VM jazzys, i went that route and paid the price. Absolutely hated that guitar.

FUS44

Reaction score
+1000 on the suck level of the bridge and trem. Sure you get undulating waves of seasick tremolo. but the tuning and instability issues make a lot of jazzmaster haters. I always switch out the bridge, right away on jazzies. The classic player is just a logical evolution. Now if they'd do it with blocks, binding and a bucker in the bridge.....oh yeah.
Great guitar!

Clump

Reaction score
Thanks! As quick and as hard as I've fallen for this guitar I'm afraid it might be a gateway drug to Jazzmaster addiction.

Electroman67

Reaction score
Congrats on your JM :thumb:

2 questions....is that cheese cloth on the prongs of your guitar stand? And secondly...what do the 2 upper switches do?

Congrats again & HNGD

Clump

Reaction score
Congrats on your JM :thumb:

2 questions....is that cheese cloth on the prongs of your guitar stand? And secondly...what do the 2 upper switches do?

Congrats again & HNGD

It's cotton bandage, to keep nitro finish from reacting with the rubber on the stand. Dunno if it's necessary, but would rather not find out the hard way.

There's a switch on the upper bout that switches on the "rhythm circuit". It switches to the neck pickup, no matter what the 3 way setting. The other 2 are rollers for volume and tone of the the rhythm circuit. So its a completely separate circuit with a different warm jazzy tone.

truckermde

Reaction score
Congrats, well chosen, and thanks for giving me GAS!

:)

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
offsets with tune-o-matic bridges are the perfect guitars. love it!

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
That finish is as pretty as I've seen on a Jizzmaster.

Well done!!! :dude:

VILLANOVA

Reaction score
Looks good. I've been contemplating a Jazzmaster build, but the CPs are so tempting.

Latest Threads