NGD - Chinese Epiphone, results are in. Very Surprised

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
Two nights ago I was surfing my local classifieds and I see a new listing for a 2008 Epi Les Paul standard. It was listed for 100 bucks the listing was 32 minutes old and it had (sold) around it. I tried to get in touch with the guy told him I’d give him $150 but he never responded. So today I was visiting a friend of mine who opened up a guitar store and what do you know the guitar is there

Me and this guy have traded and sold Guitar’s back-and-forth for the last 20 years I said so what are you going to sell it for after telling him the story. He was like probably 400 or 450 Canadian
He said but if you want it I’ll give it to you for 275. I said I don’t need the case cause I have an extra one would you take 250 and the deal was done, not a mark on the guitar That’s 200 American dollars. Apparently this kid said his parents bought it for him and he never played it once I guess they were away for the weekend and he wanted to buy beer. I feel bad for the parents but I didn’t buy it from the person who sold it, but from the other guy. I had about 10 minutes to play before I came to work my past experience with the volume and treble pots with epis have been terrible but these ones are excellent and the Guitar plays amazing sounded great It has the Epi Al Nicos in it. Anyhow enough of the Babble. Here she is I’ll try to get some better pictures after
473D8BD4-61A2-474A-996F-3A6CD6EE89FF.jpeg

66D68DC6-FB83-4DC1-BFC5-4F1E4D0D3FD6.jpeg

Last edited:

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Two nights ago I was surfing my local classifieds and I see a new listing for a 2008 Epi Les Paul standard. It was listed for 100 bucks the listing was 32 minutes old and it had (sold) around it. I tried to get in touch with the guy told him I’d give him $150 but he never responded. So today I was visiting a friend of mine who opened up a guitar store and what do you know the guitar is there

Me and this guy have traded and sold Guitar’s back-and-forth for the last 20 years I said so what are you going to sell it for after telling him the story. He was like probably 400 or 450 Canadian
He said but if you want it I’ll give it to you for 275. I said I don’t need the case cause I have an extra one would you take 250 and the deal was done, not a mark on the guitar That’s 200 American dollars. Apparently this kid said his parents bought it for him and he never played it once I guess they were away for the weekend and he wanted to buy beer. I feel bad for the parents but I didn’t buy it from the person who sold it, but from the other guy. I had about 10 minutes to play before I came to work my past experience with the volume and treble pots with epis have been terrible but these ones are excellent and the Guitar plays amazing sounded great It has the Epi Al Nico pro 2’ s in it. Anyhow enough of the Babble. Here she is I’ll try to get some better pictures afterView attachment 388614

View attachment 388615
Thats a beaut eh congrats thats a lovely grapefruit burst if i do say so myself:jam:.

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
Thanks guys I had full plans on putting different pick ups in My studio has the 490r t. My last Paul has burst bucker‘s, this actually sounds somewhere kind of in the middle so it’s pretty cool Still may change them but I’ve been reading that you might have to bore the holes a little more

Last edited:

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
After a few days of playing, I wanted to say. wow, I'm blown away. This Chinese made Epiphone is unreal. Pickups are not quite my cup of tea , but the playability and tuning stability is stupendous.

Man, I hate to say t, but this feels and plays better than my Traditional Goldtop, and my Studio, does not sound better. But if I change pups this could be close to or my #1.

I don't know if it was a fluke but I am truly truly impressed. The Board is dead straight, I want toi add a litle relief but see no need at the moment. Strings were new and this would be my third day playing, just played for 20 minutes with big bends and only the b string was out a bit. I like the idea of the scarf joint giving me a little comfort on dropping it, but its not like I piaid much to worry out.

I honestly can not believe the quality. thats it, just wanted to update you guys. Anmyone else had aan experience like this with a chinese Epi?

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I have a Chinese Gretsch which is a very playable guitar. I'd happily buy a Chinese Epi if I was in the market. My Korean Epi is killer.....

jimmyjames

Reaction score
My Epi '55 Custom hangs with my two awesome Greco LPs, straight outta the case. So much so, I will happily pay for a refret if it needs it in the future
:yesway:

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
My Epi '55 Custom hangs with my two awesome Greco LPs, straight outta the case. So much so, I will happily pay for a refret if it needs it in the future
:yesway:
Right on, yeah Im super impressed / When I ws given the serial number to take home with me to get the cash I was a little skeptial but for that price I rely could not expect that much but man was I surprised/impressed.

Last edited:

Can I Play With Madness?

Reaction score
Happy NGD, fam!

I actually have the same plaintop cherry sunburst as yours. It was made a year before it, though, but they really are some killer guitars. Mine did need a bit of fret leveling, but that's nothing, and it really is a player.

IMG_20190625_163810_1.jpg

Plaintop for life. :naughty:

Enjoy your Epiphone, man! ;D

au_rick

Reaction score
Recently purchased this Epiphone Les Paul goldtop, seller swears he bought it in 2001, but serial number says 2003.
Anyhoo, I swapped out the pickups for some Neptune Supernaturals.

Here's a clip of me murdering some well known riffs.

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
Happy NGD, fam!

I actually have the same plaintop cherry sunburst as yours. It was made a year before it, though, but they really are some killer guitars. Mine did need a bit of fret leveling, but that's nothing, and it really is a player.

View attachment 389807

Plaintop for life. :naughty:

Enjoy your Epiphone, man! ;D

NIce and thank you.. I just bored out the holes and put in Gibson Pups 490r 498t and wiring, now she is a beast. Nice guitar man,. Cheers

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
As far as the Chinese Epiphones go, they are getting to the point where Gibson should be proud to offer such a quality instrument. I recently picked up the LP Custon Koa model. It's the equivalent of any of my Gibsons. All of the hardware is top quality, but since I'm a P90 guy I replaced the ProBuckers with SD Phat Cats. All that for under $900.

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
As far as the Chinese Epiphones go, they are getting to the point where Gibson should be proud to offer such a quality instrument. I recently picked up the LP Custon Koa model. It's the equivalent of any of my Gibsons. All of the hardware is top quality, but since I'm a P90 guy I replaced the ProBuckers with SD Phat Cats. All that for under $900.
Yeah LOST, Ive been reading that they are just getting better and better, this one is from 2008 and it is on point, nothing wrong at all, now with the gibson pups in it it may well be my #1 over a Traditional with Burstbuckers and pushpulls and a 2014 black studio. We will see when Freddy fixes the neck, its a great guitar. But the epiphone for playability and bang on intonation is really reallu surprsing., Pots are excellent in it too. I have a hard time getting past the Epi headsock,Im sure it will grow on me.

Cheers man.

fleahead

Reaction score
I have a 14 year old Line 6 Variax that is Chinese made that has impeccable fit and finish and still one of the nicest maple Strat necks I've owned and my newest purchase, an Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird bass is 100% amazing. I would never buy a USA model of these....

Last edited:

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
I have a 14 year old Line 6 Variax that is Chinese made that has impeccable fit and finish and still one of the nicest maple Strat necks I've owned and my newest purchase, a Vintage Pro Thunderbird bass is 100% amazing. I would never buy a USA model of these....
Right on fleahead. Yeah I was utterly shocked to be honest I was just going to buy it and flip it but the things just too perfect really never thought I’d be saying that but, really well-made I’m gonna look up the plant when I go home I forgot what it was called Cheers man

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
This is my first response on the forums. Hello all and thanks for the great discussions and info.

Like the OP, I just picked up a 2008 Epiphone Les Paul - a Custom in silverburst. This is my first LP. I’m shocked at the overall quality of my 2008 Chinese made LP. Its simply awesome. I’ll post a new thread of my silverburst soon.