NGD - Brian May Red Special

Tanner

Reaction score
Around when I first joined this forum 10 years ago, I was around 14 and have only been playing guitar for a couple years. While my first guitar was an Epi Les Paul, the first guitar I had that really REALLY kicked me into gear on learning was a Brian May Guitars Red Special replica. I was extremely into Queen at the time, I spent that whole summer locked up in my bedroom learning all sorts of Queen riffs and solos. That guitar even came with me to my very first band.

Eventually I ended up trading it off for....something around 2012/13, I don't really remember. I was trading guitars all the time back then. Though I've regretted it since, whenever they pop up they're always too damn expensive. Even brand new they're around $850, which is way out of my budget.

Or it was out of my budget, I ended up biting the bullet and ordered one on guitar center's website with their Labor Day coupon. After an anxious week of waiting for it to get in, I haven't been able to put it down. It feels just as I remember, and sounds even better than I remember.

And here's a shot from my first gig with my old red special, and a shot from earlier.

Niloy63

Reaction score
That's awesome!! Congrats on getting the guitar again!

Liquid State

Premium Member
Reaction score
really nice. I have always wanted one of these (and you have had 2). Congrats on the reunion!

Let me ask, are the specials neck heavy?? I have tried to bond with neck heavy guitars in the past and just cant...

Tanner

Reaction score
really nice. I have always wanted one of these (and you have had 2). Congrats on the reunion!

Let me ask, are the specials neck heavy?? I have tried to bond with neck heavy guitars in the past and just cant...
It's a little neck heavy, not too much though. I adjusted the strap a little higher than I normally would on a Strat or LP though and haven't had issues since then.

I'm also not a fan of neck heavy guitars, main reason why I could never bond with an SG. It's not nearly as dramatic on the RS though.

grumphh

Reaction score
Yeah congrats on getting back a guitar that you just knew you loved, some of those that got away do return :)

archey

Reaction score
Brian May is my favorite guitarist. I tried a red special. I really wanted to like it, but the neck felt too wide for me. I love the look and sound of them though. Congratulations!

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Around when I first joined this forum 10 years ago, I was around 14 and have only been playing guitar for a couple years. While my first guitar was an Epi Les Paul, the first guitar I had that really REALLY kicked me into gear on learning was a Brian May Guitars Red Special replica. I was extremely into Queen at the time, I spent that whole summer locked up in my bedroom learning all sorts of Queen riffs and solos. That guitar even came with me to my very first band.

Eventually I ended up trading it off for....something around 2012/13, I don't really remember. I was trading guitars all the time back then. Though I've regretted it since, whenever they pop up they're always too damn expensive. Even brand new they're around $850, which is way out of my budget.

Or it was out of my budget, I ended up biting the bullet and ordered one on guitar center's website with their Labor Day coupon. After an anxious week of waiting for it to get in, I haven't been able to put it down. It feels just as I remember, and sounds even better than I remember.

And here's a shot from my first gig with my old red special, and a shot from earlier.

Nice looking guitar! I have one of these and agree it’s amazing! I think it’s great you found one again.

moreles

Reaction score
Life offers few do-overs. Glad you got a second shot and that you're liking it!