NGD, Bartlett Retrospec

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't really know if this qualify as a "other Les Paul", it share some specs with the LP though so this might be the right section to post this.

As some of you might know I have been involved in the development of a new guitar series for Bartlett Guitars, the Bartlett Retrospec.
Tom sent me a guitar the other week and I just thought I should share some photos I shoot today. I have promised myself not to do a pubic review on the guitar, I'm way too biased and I wouldn't make neither the guitar or Tom justice.
All I can say is that my other guitars get a whole lot of time in their cases these days. This guitar is all I need:thumb:

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

Here are the specs for the guitar.

Tuners: Nickel Grover.
Nut: Nylon.
Bridge: Faber
Tailpiece studs, bushings, bridge posts and wheels: Retrospec
Knobs: Allparts
Pots: Crazy Parts.
Pickups: Mike Turk.
Pickup covers: Throbak.
Black rings: Throbak.
Caps: Lux bumble bees.
Switch: Switchcraft.
Pick guard: Mojoaxe.
Fretboard: Cocobolo
Frets: Stew Mac number 141.
Binding: Royalite.
Dots:Celluloid.
Top: Hard plain maple
All old growth mahogany.

RAG7890

Reaction score
:wow: :wow: :wow: :thumb: :applause:

HNGD Magnus. Looks awesome in that Black Tuxedo. :)

Looking forward to your report on the first night out with your new guitar mate.

Cheers, Rudi

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
Nice looker, love the retro shape and I've yet to see a finish that'll beat aged black nitro.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That looks absolutely awesome, Magnus! Congrats to you (and Tom) on this amazing design...and execution! I love it!

Frank

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
This is an amazing original design holding true to the specs of the early great classic guitars.

decoy205

Reaction score
Looks fantastic man! Does it sound like a Lester, or does it have its own tone thing happening?

oli

Reaction score
Wow, looks awesome ! You guys came up with a brilliant design, congrats !

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
That is ****ing killer!
The shape reminds me of a 335 blended with a Maton MS524.
Love it!

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all those nice comments!
It is a truly awesome guitar. The balance, the weight, the neck, the feeling of the thin nitro. When I hold it it's really hard to comprehend that it is a brand new instrument.
Absolute everything about it feel, sound and looks vintage in it's best way.

All thumbs up for Tom who have made a superior work here:applause::applause:

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Last Saturday it was the premier gig with the Retrospec and it was nothing but a success.

I use to play a 70's Hiwatt rigg but the venue was really small so I ended up using a late 60's Super Reverb. I really don't use to like them Fender amplifiers, I have just never got used to the sound but that night I kind of understood it all.

The guitar sounded amazing with the amp cranked all the way with nothing but my guitar and my ancient MXR Dynacomp. The sustain and tone was to die for. I could clean up the gain with the volume control without any treble loss and the neck pickup blended perfectly with the bridge pup, the tone in mid position was almost Telecaster-ish. But good:naughty:
Did I mention the sweet, bluesey tone from the neck pickup? And the everything from smooth picking to heavy lead in the bridge pup:dude:

The weight is super comfortable, I could wear it for hours without any problems what so ever and it balances perfectly.

I play in a couple of bands and other than me it's all Telecasters. I use to make fun of those guys, claiming that the teles are rhythm guitars while I play the lead guitar and as you all know, it's the lead guitarist that get all the attention:applause:

By definition, this guitar is the lead guitar:)

Next Saturday it's a new gig and this time I'll use the Hiwatt, I just can't wait.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Last Saturday it was the premier gig with the Retrospec and it was nothing but a success.

I use to play a 70's Hiwatt rigg but the venue was really small so I ended up using a late 60's Super Reverb. I really don't use to like them Fender amplifiers, I have just never got used to the sound but that night I kind of understood it all.

The guitar sounded amazing with the amp cranked all the way with nothing but my guitar and my ancient MXR Dynacomp. The sustain and tone was to dye for. I could clean up the gain with the volume control without any treble loss and the neck pickup blended perfectly with the bridge pup, the tone in mid position was almost Telecaster-ish. But good:naughty:
Did I mention the sweet, bluesey tone from the neck pickup? And the everything from smooth picking to heavy lead in the bridge pup:dude:

The weight is super comfortable, I could wear it for hours without any problems what so ever and it balances perfectly.

I play in a couple of bands and other than me it's all Telecasters. I use to make fun of those guys, claiming that the teles are rhythm guitars while I play the lead guitar and as you all know, it's the lead guitarist that get all the attention:applause:

By definition, this guitar is the lead guitar:)

Next Saturday it's a new gig and this time I'll use the Hiwatt, I just can't wait.

Awesome Magnus. :thumb: :applause:

Great to see this new guitar is really working for you. :)

:hmm:............wonder what this will sound like through a cranked Hiwatt? Probably................:wow: :wow: :wow:

I'm loving the words Telecaster-ish & Telecaster. :D

:wave:

Cheers, Rudi

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Rudi, I'm really excited over the guitar and it's working perfect.
A cranked Hiwatt.....now that's something that gives me nightmares. I have to use a whole bunch of pedals to tame the beast. It's so loud that I'd be permanently banned from all the clubs if I tried to crank it. But the headroom is amazing and it loves pedals, I guess a big deal of the fantastic tone from those old Hiwatts is in the headroom but also the Hiwatt 4x12 that is in a completely different league than the Marshalls.

Here's a photo from a radio show we did early this fall. The Hiwatt to the left is my main amp but if the stage is big enough I also use the plexi marshall for some stereo effects. The Roost is also really cool, sounds pretty much like a Hiwatt.

STS_3896.jpg

Latest Threads