NGD: BadMojo Content

jstarr823

Reaction score
Special thanks to Andy from @BadMojo for hooking me up with Betty, this beautiful 1986 Studio. My photography skills lack severely compared to Andy’s, so I’ll borrow a few of his shots as well.

As soon as a saw this beauty in the classifieds, something intangible was drawing me too her. Couldn’t quite place my finger on it, but I kept coming back to it... even with other Traditional and Standard LP prospects in my sights.

Let me just say that I’m totally stoked. There’s something to be said about 33 year old wood, and this is no exception. This baby rings out beautifully, with tons of sustain, and the ebony board is a joy to play. This is what I would consider a true Slim Taper, as it’s comfortably slender near the nut, but fattens out quite nicely at the 12th.

The pups are what seem to be late Shaws, as I can clearly see the white spacers with the brass plate screws removed on the pole screw side. The measurements would also indicate Shaws at 7.47 on the neck and 7.09 on the bridge. Regardless, they sound unbelievable. I’ve been searching for a neck pickup that doesn’t turn to pure mud for overdrive tones, and this baby sings. Andy also installed a set of Luxe Bees, which certainly doesn’t hurt.

I named her Betty (I’m sure Andy understands) because the name Betty was written in the neck pup cavity at the factory. Apparently there are other Bettys out there, and Andy was smart enough to mask over it when he did the refinish job. Speaking of which, Andy’s work is absolutely stellar. He maintained the real vintage vibe of a 33 year old Gibson while making it pop with this killer Inverness Green Metallic nitro refin. The weather checking is to die for.

On with the pics for those that missed the classified ad. My horrible pics are the first three (two showing the Shaws). Enjoy!

C1C1275B-36C4-4115-A36A-9FFEA973AD74.jpeg

79502B80-7860-4CAA-82D7-11B651B6C4A8.jpeg

66A08F04-E363-4ED8-A44C-0C4A35505D84.jpeg

EEABF73C-A7DC-4A4B-A16F-F6EE8F52E549.jpeg

Last edited:

anorton

Reaction score
That’s very nice! Here’s to another guitar! Cheers and congratulations.

brianbzed

Reaction score
Special thanks to Andy from @BadMojo for hooking me up with Betty, this beautiful 1986 Studio. My photography skills lack severely compared to Andy’s, so I’ll borrow a few of his shots as well.

As soon as a saw this beauty in the classifieds, something intangible was drawing me too her. Couldn’t quite place my finger on it, but I kept coming back to it... even with other Traditional and Standard LP prospects in my sights.

Let me just say that I’m totally stoked. There’s something to be said about 33 year old wood, and this is no exception. This baby rings out beautifully, with tons of sustain, and the ebony board is a joy to play. This is what I would consider a true Slim Taper, as it’s comfortably slender near the nut, but fattens out quite nicely at the 12th.

The pups are what seem to be late Shaws, as I can clearly see the white spacers with the brass plate screws removed on the pole screw side. The measurements would also indicate Shaws at 7.47 on the neck and 7.09 on the bridge. Regardless, they sound unbelievable. I’ve been searching for a neck pickup that doesn’t turn to pure mud for overdrive tones, and this baby sings. Andy also installed a set of Luxe Bees, which certainly doesn’t hurt.

I named her Betty (I’m sure Andy understands) because the name Betty was written in the neck pup cavity at the factory. Apparently there are other Bettys out there, and Andy was smart enough to mask over it when he did the refinish job. Speaking of which, Andy’s work is absolutely stellar. He maintained the real vintage vibe of a 33 year old Gibson while making it pop with this killer Inverness Green Metallic nitro refin. The weather checking is to die for.

On with the pics for those that missed the classified ad. My horrible pics are the first three (two showing the Shaws). Enjoy!

View attachment 410951
View attachment 410952
View attachment 410954
View attachment 410955
Awesome guitar! All the best qualities of a Studio model....and Shaws too! I'm starting to GAS!

jstarr823

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar! First dibs on it when you sell it. :fingersx:
I believe I already called dibs in a previous thread. :)
Well it won't take long......it is Jstarr. :laugh2:
Unless someone offers up a sweet Traditional in trade, this one won't be going anywhere anytime soon. It's been too long since I've played a LP that TRULY inspires me, and this one hit that spot. With all due respect to the killer work that Andy did on this beauty, a fair amount of it's "mojo" has to be attributed to the guitar itself. Maybe the best LP neck (for my style) that I've ever owned. You ever pick up a guitar and just melt into it? This has only happened a couple of times for me, and l deeply regret letting those guitars go. Seriously. This is the whole package. Mojo, tone, feel, looks, true vintage vibe... A legit Gibson by all rights.

On second thought... I'm not even sure that a Traditional could lure this one away.

jstarr823

Reaction score
No offense to BadMojo meant by what I write next.....

I saw that in the Classifieds and LOVED the color. The reliving was cool, too. The dealbreaker for me was the dents. I know that if you shoot a pic to try to show off the dents, it may be over-emphasizing them (as we see in the one pic of checking that really highlights the work).

Anyway..... what’s it like in person? Are the dents as pronounced as they seem in the pics, or are they a subdued thing?
It’s awesome in person. Imagine a “light relic” Custom Shop Reissue of a 1986 Studio. I’m pretty ocd when it comes to relic work and I think it looks superb.

• Love
Reactions: Who

jstarr823

Reaction score
And for those of you looking to snag it from jstarr.... where were you for the last 8 weeks when this sat in the Classifieds?
Valid point. You don’t see these pop up that often. All factors, the price was really good. No offense to anyone, but this smokes any modern day Studio. I should know... I’ve owned a ton of Studios (from 1996 to present). I thought my 96 in Alpine White with Ebony was killer... this is better.

• Love
Reactions: Who

scozz

Reaction score
Gorgeous Studio @jstarr823, there’s something special about a 80s Studio with an ebony fingerboard and dot inlays! Love the color too! Congrats!

I know what you mean about the slim taper neck back in the 80s, it’s not as slim as what is referred to as 60s slim taper today. It’s a very comfortable neck at all points! My 82 Custom has the same neck you described.

Also my 82 had an ebony fingerboard and Shaw’s like your 86. These LPs feel and sound spectacular!

Once again congratulations! :thumb: