NGD: Axcess Custom Figured Top, Bengal Burst

Niloy63

Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope everyone's having a great day. I certainly am. It's a HNGD for me! I feel hella fortunate because it's my first Custom Shop made guitar. No joke... the craftsmanship is without a doubt in a league of its own. I love my Gibson USA axes (Studio Swirl and Standard Silverburst), but the difference is definitely noticeable right away. The playability is unreal, and the attention to detail is beyond impressive. I suppose one is to expect that at these prices. I already sold two guitars and am still trying to sell an amp to fund this guitar. lol And after playing it through my rig, it was definitely worth it!

It has the longest damn name! Gibson Modern Les Paul Axcess Custom Figured Top Bengal Burst. :facepalm: Man oh man. Gibson needs to chop that in half. The guitar has some cool features: axcess neck joint, apex headstock, ebony fretboard, ABR-1 bridge. I'm digging the 498T/490R pickups. I was considering going for a Duncan Custom 8/Pearly Gates neck set, but I think I'll sit still for a while. I'm not sure why the Custom Shop went with nonlocking Grover Keystones when Grover offers the same exact gold tuners with locking available. I'm debating whether or not I should get the locking set since they are just a drop in replacement. What do you guys think?

Enough talk... here she is!

ps - I'm terrible with a camera. I never take into account where the sun/light is. My bad for the crap photos.

Last edited:

anorton

Reaction score
Sure is pretty! I haven’t seen a finish like that before, very unique. I’d stick with the tuners it came with and see how they are. Maybe they work! Lol.

Congratulations and happy NGD!

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope everyone's having a great day. I certainly am. It's a HNGD for me! I feel hella fortunate because it's my first Custom Shop made guitar. No joke... the craftsmanship is without a doubt in a league of its own. I love my Gibson USA axes (Studio Swirl and Standard Silverburst), but the difference is definitely noticeable right away. The playability is unreal, and the attention to detail is beyond impressive. I suppose one is to expect that at these prices. I already sold two guitars and am still trying to sell an amp to fund this guitar. lol And after playing it through my rig, it was definitely worth it!

It has the longest damn name! Gibson Modern Les Paul Axcess Custom Figured Top Bengal Burst. :facepalm: Man oh man. Gibson needs to chop that in half. The guitar has some cool features: axcess neck joint, apex headstock, ABR-1 bridge. I'm digging the 498T/490R pickups. I was considering going for a Duncan Custom 8/Pearly Gates neck set, but I think I'll sit still for a while. I'm not sure why the Custom Shop went with nonlocking Grover tulips when Grover has the exact same gold set with locking available. I'm debating whether or not I should get the locking set since they are just a drop in replacement. What do you guys think?

Enough talk... here she is!

ps - I'm terrible with a camera. I never take into account where the sun/light is. My bad for the crap photos.
Thats stunning I have p 4 pickups in mine they are nice and zesty! enjoy that wonderful LP. :thumbs: :slash::D.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Sure is pretty! I haven’t seen a finish like that before, very unique. I’d stick with the tuners it came with and see how they are. Maybe they work! Lol.

Congratulations and happy NGD!
Thanks friend! And I'm thinking the same thing. But locking tuners sure would make string changes easier and perhaps tuning stability a little bit better. I'll give myself 4 weeks and then decide! I appreciate the suggestion. :cheers2:

Ridiculously gorgeous!

Congrats!!
:cheers: Much appreciated!!

Interesting.
I'm glad you think so! :thumbs:

I don’t usually go for super flamey tops and bling but that is just stunning.
Thank you! When I first saw it for the first time back in January, I couldn't stop thinking about it. A print out has been sitting on top of my desk for 7 months now! TBH, I'm surprised I held out this long. lol

I wasn't expecting that based on the title, but DAMN, that is cool.
:h5: Thank you!!!

Thats stunning I have p 4 pickups in mine they are nice and zesty! enjoy that wonderful LP. :thumbs: :slash::D.
:cheers2:I appreciate it friend! If you don't mind explaining, what are p 4 pickups?

jstarr823

Reaction score
Awesome! Congrats. I just purchased my first Custom Shop as well... a Modern Standard. Also has the Apex headstock. Definitely a notch above the truckload of Standards and Traditionals that I’ve owned in the past.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Awesome! Congrats. I just purchased my first Custom Shop as well... a Modern Standard. Also has the Apex headstock. Definitely a notch above the truckload of Standards and Traditionals that I’ve owned in the past.
Thank you!! I saw your guitar on your NGD thread. I believe the metallic finish one. She's gorgeous! I'm glad she stands out amongst the rest. That justifies the arm and half a leg we gave for it. lol I'm thoroughly impressed with the craftsmanship and attention to detail. Dare I say... the custom shop hype is real?

Niloy63

Reaction score
Man... that is SO nice.

Features like the axcess neck joint and apex headstock are types of modernization I can really agree with.
Thank you!! What a difference the Axcess joint makes for the upper register. It makes me think why every single Gibson [except for Historics, Trads and Classics] doesn't have it.

Such an underrated model..
That is simply gorgeous on every level..

Paging @cherrysunburst00 ...the resident expert on axcesses

-Chris
I'm glad you think so, friend! As for the wiggle stick... if I was any good at it, I'd perhaps consider it. And besides, I'm so stuck in my ways, I'd probably forget to use it. Something about whammy bars and I... like oil and water.

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
Jeez, do not put a Bigsby over that top! Compared to the shape of a LP body and the wood itself, a hunk of auto-parts metal-gizmo contraption is way out of place. IMO, of course. That's a really gorgeous instrument. I love Custom Shop quality, but have not found it to be "in a league of its own" relative to many other builders, often at lesser prices. But is sure is great to know that a good Gibson will reliably deliver such quality. And a painted back is, IMO, the best.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Jeez, do not put a Bigsby over that top! Compared to the shape of a LP body and the wood itself, a hunk of auto-parts metal-gizmo contraption is way out of place. IMO, of course. That's a really gorgeous instrument. I love Custom Shop quality, but have not found it to be "in a league of its own" relative to many other builders, often at lesser prices. But is sure is great to know that a good Gibson will reliably deliver such quality. And a painted back is, IMO, the best.
I get where you're coming from. This is the first Custom Shop instrument I've owned, but I've been lucky to have played [no more than] a few over the last few years. Taking into account my limited experience with Custom Shop quality, I am confident to say that this guitar, IMO, is among the three best guitars that I have personally played. The others were a Knaggs guitar, and one from Blackwater Guitar Co. (BWGC, which is pretty much a one man operation in Central Texas).

Last edited: