NGD - Another ES-339 P90 Pro - Ebony

Kong

Reaction score
I got my $299 P90 Pro today. All I can say is that I'm pretty blown away by the quality. I posted my review on EpiphoneTalk and wanted to share here as well.

When I unpacked the guitar I was surprised to see that the body had a gloss finish. The pics on Musicians Friend looked like the body was satin (i'll post a pic below). The finish looks very nice and I have not found any flaws other than a tiny spec on the neck binding. Speaking of the binding it looks like a dark cream color and complements the finish very well. The fret-board is a nice dark rosewood.

The neck is a bit meatier that I expected and is very comfortable in my hands. I tuned it up but have not made any setup adjustments. As is, there is almost no relief to speak of, and so far I'm not hearing any buzzing and the notes aren't fretting out during bends. The action is slightly high for my taste, but I'll make the proper adjustments when I throw new strings on. The intonation is reasonable, seems to me all the notes are just a hair sharp at the 12th fret. All in all I'd say it is pretty damn good for just out of the box and certainly playable. I didn't even give it 5 minutes to acclimate to being inside.

All the hardware seems to be properly installed and I'm not getting any rattling or buzzing from the bridge or tuners. The knobs sit a bit high out of the body and that may be an issue when I want to put pointers on. They operate properly and there is no noise from the pots/switch. I only played it for a few minutes because I wanted to snap a few pics. I played it through my Peavey Classic 20 and I really dig the tone of the P90s. In just a short time it is really easy to see this is an extremely versatile guitar. Turn down the gain and you can get some nice sparkly highs from the bridge pickup and some nice warm blues tone from the neck. I think selecting both pickups on clean with a bit of chorus will sound amazing, but I'm in the middle of moving so I just have the Peavey to test it out on.

Overall it is an extremely nice guitar with amazing fit and finish. I can't believe it was $299 shipped. Huge bang for the buck, so many Epiphones are such good values these days. I'm going to play the heck out of it for a while before I even think about mods. I would consider upgrading the harness, but it seems like such a pain in the ass and the stock wiring sounds fine to me, so far. I took the stickers off, wanna see some pics?

The first 2 pics are from MF and look satin.

Here a are a few shots of mine.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
WOW! I had no idea they were gloss from the ad pics either. Very nice!

I think selecting both pickups on clean with a bit of chorus will sound amazing
It does! That's where I settled in pretty quick. I spend more time on the neck pick up than most but on this the magic tone was on both. Very pleased.

Congrats!

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
Once again, another great ES339 Pro P90. Man, these are great guitars and the new PRO P90's are exceptionally nice pickups. I agree, the middle possition gives up the goods for amazing sparkling clean tone. The neck is full and creamy and the bridge is where it's at for killer rock tones. $299 for a guitar of this quality just blows my mind. Love the gloss on this one but its funny because the other photos make it look like a satin finish. Great score.

punkbird

Reaction score
I've been resisting GAS for one of these for 2 months, but between all 339 Pro NGD threads and the amazing deals for President's day I just can't anymore!

HNGD!! Thats a real looker in ebony!

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
Do it Punkbird! These guitars are bound to be considered Epiohone classics. They're incredible and the price is just stupid on them.

pnuggett

Reaction score
I'm hanging out until October when the Wine color model is available.
If I can wait that long and not grab a Cherry.

Victek

Reaction score
I got my $299 P90 Pro today. All I can say is that I'm pretty blown away by the quality. I posted my review on EpiphoneTalk and wanted to share here as well.

Overall it is an extremely nice guitar with amazing fit and finish. I can't believe it was $299 shipped. Huge bang for the buck, so many Epiphones are such good values these days.
Lovely guitar, congrats!

FYI the Ebony finish is still available for $299 from MF.

stinkfoot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh man oh man if I weren't broke, I would be broke..

my two weaknesses rolled into one, P90's and double-bound black!!

punkbird

Reaction score
Do it Punkbird! These guitars are bound to be considered Epiohone classics. They're incredible and the price is just stupid on them.
Just put the order in for mine! I went with the vintage sunburst finish though, I already have an ebony LP.

Also got a case for it...and some flat wound strings, and shaller strap locks...and a set of locking gotoh tuners. been resisting the GAS so long it kinda blew up. :wow:
Now I just can't wait until it all gets here!

Kong

Reaction score
Update: I made a few minor adjustments today. Lowered the bridge to my taste and set the intonation. All the strings were a hair sharp at the 12th fret prior to adjusting. The G is still ever so slightly sharp and I will flip the saddle when I put new strings on which should give me enough adjustment to get it in tune. I left the stock strings and have not cleaned the crap off the fretboard. Anyway, after these very minor changes, this thing just sings. I was playing with both pickups selected on some clean settings on my Peavey Classic 20. Choir of angels is all I can say :D. I even had my neighbor make a comment about how nice the new axe sounds (didn't know I was playing that loud). I can't wait to finish building my house so I don't have to worry about the neighbors anymore.

One last thing folks, I actually had a Gibson Es-339 when they first came out. They were going for $2K. Mine was a customer return priced at 1700 and they were giving an extra 20% off for "used" gear so I ended up having it delivered for $1400. It was the light caramel burst finish and was really beautiful. I think it was returned by the fist buyer because the bridge pickup was not sitting correctly in the ring. All I had to do was raise and lower it and it straightened right out. I actually ended up selling it a few months after I bought it (for a small profit). So after my long winded post let me say that the Epi version will be staying with me. I would be happy with this guitar at twice the price. I think this may be the best deal currently available.

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
Amen Kong! As a long time Gibson fanboy, all I can say is the new Epiphones, particularly these ES339 PRO P90's have sold me on Epiphone. I still love my Gibson's but my long prejudice against Epiphone no longer exists. I'm proud to rock this guitar.
Enjoy!

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I gave mine a pretty serious workout last night. Played several different styles and messed around with all pick up settings.
Conclusion: I decided at 60 I think it's finally time for me to go on tour.

SGmanElitist

Reaction score
I gave mine a pretty serious workout last night. Played several different styles and messed around with all pick up settings.
Conclusion: I decided at 60 I think it's finally time for me to go on tour.
No better time than the present :thumb:

Kerouac

Reaction score
I sold my Jaguarillo yesterday so I can get one of these. I want the PB, but I might just save $70 and get the natural. I have a natural on hold at the local GC. Is the street price on these $399? If so, I might just wait until the St. Paddy's day coupons roll out.

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
Ask for 15% off when you call and you'll probably get it. That's what I did when there wasn't a sale going on. My PB was around $339.

Kerouac

Reaction score
Ask for 15% off when you call and you'll probably get it. That's what I did when there wasn't a sale going on. My PB was around $339.
I tried to get 15% off, but I was only able to get 12%. It seems an odd and arbitrary number. I ordered one and it will be here later this week.

Thanks

The Outlaw

Reaction score
i wish they had the pelham blue with buckers, im still not sold on p90's. i got my first p90 guitar recently ( gib special) and althogh they have an awesome sound they have crazy noise for me. wasnt an issue when i had a dedicated guitar room but since having to give that up im stuck playing in a common room with tons of noise inducing stuff. they have noise comparable to running my strat into the bad monkey with the level all the way up and gain all the way down. maybe i need one of each lol PB with p90's and burst with buckers. and a second job