NGD and some questions, TRC and pickups...?

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I believe the TRC you have there is a gen-u-ine StewMac part :) The shape and bevel look spot on to me, right down to the chatter marks along the curves.

As for what was original, I think it would have been a TRC with "Classic" on it, and a pickguard with "1960." Not sure about the pickups. I used to have a '95 Classic, but I'm not sure how the specs may have changed over the years. Mine also had the "Les Paul Classic" silkscreen like yours, instead of the usual "Les Paul Model."

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
heres a couple of my classic trcs
the 18 Goldie TRC is uber bright and jumps off the guitar...love it

2A2C9624-0F67-4404-A274-C12EBA6B7500.jpeg

FCBC9550-BB1D-4623-9A8A-DE71117A9494.jpeg

Knoby

Reaction score
Nobody has commented on the serial number. Is that numbering consistent with year 2000 classics?

Where is the sticky thread for the Gibson serials?

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody has commented on the serial number. Is that numbering consistent with year 2000 classics?

I have no clue...now that I think about it, my 07 starts with an 07 I think
hmm
it just struck me as a classic but I’m not close to an expert...
and I never google as I’m super lazy :h5:

-chris

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sticky threads got un-stickied a few weeks ago.

pentat0nicc

Reaction score
Many thanks for the pics and info.
Over the weekend, I will be adding a pickguard left over from a LP Trad, reflector top hats & pointers, blank correct looking TRC, and putting some chrome pup covers on, strap locks, give it a good clean up and setup with new 10's... Want it a bit more traditional looking. Its plays greats and sounds/feels different to my other LP's

Steve58

Reaction score
Hi - that's a legit LP classic from 2000. Can't fake those green tinged inlays :) The original TRC would have said 'Classic' on it, and the one it's been replaced with looks a bit nasty (shame, since anyone not liking the Classic script could literally rub it off the original). Any regular Gibson TRC would fit it. Pickups look like the stock ceramics, but can't really tell, especially since wiring looks like it's been replaced. These are really great guitars tho.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I have a set of 496R--500Ts if you need em. Roxie'll fix you up with the right TRC.

NiteGoat

Reaction score
Many thanks for the pics and info.
Over the weekend, I will be adding a pickguard left over from a LP Trad, reflector top hats & pointers, blank correct looking TRC, and putting some chrome pup covers on, strap locks, give it a good clean up and setup with new 10's... Want it a bit more traditional looking. Its plays greats and sounds/feels different to my other LP's
Before you put the pup covers on, make sure you’re not in love with the current tone of you’re guitar. I put pup covers on my 1991 Gibson SG Special, after 21 years of ownership, because I always wanted a Gibson with pup covers. While I loved the tone of my SG, the covers did make them sound creamier, with a richer more harmonic distortion, while playing dirty. I actually like the way it sounds now, better than before. But I also have two LPs with open coils, that I would never cover, as I am totally in love with their current tone.

I know a lot of people say that covering an open coil pickup, has zero effect of their tone. In my case, it absolutely did make a difference.

Last edited:

pentat0nicc

Reaction score
All done. Little gap between pick guard and bridge pup. No big deal. Pups covers are a excellent fit. Perhaps more feedback on the neck pup than before. Hard to tell. Some new screws on rings. Setup all done. High fret somewhere around 19. To be sorted.. quite pleased. Gibson knock off trc

Attachments

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Talk to Roxie about fallaway...she knows all about those last ten frets and how to level them....Love the reflectors and new guard--that's a fine-looking GT!

Latest Threads