NGD and some questions, TRC and pickups...?

pentat0nicc

Reaction score
HI
I bought a gold top classic from a friend of mine, serial number 004904, so 2000 year i think
I was after some specs, i have emailed Gibson...
what Im after in particular, what pickups did it ship with?
What truss rod cover did it originally have, looks a strange one on there currently.
and did it have a pick guard with "classic" written on it? what knobs did it have?
couple of pics attached....will be setup this week....
thanks for your help as always....
Chris

Attachments

bum

Reaction score
yikes
I am 90% it's legit but yeah something is odd

bum

Reaction score
I think the photo angle made the horn look a bit droopy, but it has all the hallmarks of a legit guitar, not doubting you at all my friend :)

pentat0nicc

Reaction score
try that.....
bumblebee caps too....
the bridge pickup he had changed a few years ago to a slash seymour duncan..(i know, i did it for him)
anyone got any info on that truss rod cover??

Attachments

pentat0nicc

Reaction score
looks like a classic with an aftermarket trc...
im no expert though
if so, too bad yall swapped the 496r/500t...I love that combo

-chris
original pickup (maybe) on its way to me, thanks for the info on the bridge pup and TRC...

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
original pickup (maybe) on its way to me, thanks for the info on the bridge pup and TRC...
I’m probably wrong but it’s what my gut said when I saw it
there are so many more knowledgable people on this site
trc is too angular imho

-chris

Tdurden032

Reaction score
First of all, happy new guitar day - I am envious of your goldtop!! It’s hard for me to say, but to my untrained eye it looks good to me - something could be a little off with the truss today cover, but at the end of the day, if you like it and the way it plays, enjoy the new acquisition!

pentat0nicc

Reaction score
First of all, happy new guitar day - I am envious of your goldtop!! It’s hard for me to say, but to my untrained eye it looks good to me - something could be a little off with the truss today cover, but at the end of the day, if you like it and the way it plays, enjoy the new acquisition!
thank you...
i dont really like the TRC, hence i was asking if it was original....unless i can confirm its from that particular year or something i will start looking for a replacement....

Roxy13

Reaction score
I can look and see what Gibson TRCs I might have here as I'd be willing to trade. I'm always getting old MIJ guitars that are missing theirs and I would spend months trying to find the right ones for them so they end up with plain Gibson ones instead.

pentat0nicc

Reaction score
I can look and see what Gibson TRCs I might have here as I'd be willing to trade. I'm always getting old MIJ guitars that are missing theirs and I would spend months trying to find the right ones for them so they end up with plain Gibson ones instead.
perfect!!!!! lets do that ...

Roxy13

Reaction score
Here is a 1985 Tokai This one looks like it might have a wider white border on it, but 1985 was a weird year for Tokai as they went through a near bankruptcy.

1603139993570.png

Roxy13

Reaction score
Maybe it's not Tokai as they all seem to have that point on the top that I'm looking at.

I'd still trade as yours is closer to correct than a Gibson bell shaped one.

pentat0nicc

Reaction score
Maybe it's not Tokai as they all seem to have that point on the top that I'm looking at.

I'd still trade as yours is closer to correct than a Gibson bell shaped one.
im in UK mind, so postage might kill the deal!

Roxy13

Reaction score
im in UK mind, so postage might kill the deal!
That and pandemic delays, hmm.

I'm not sure what aftermarket ones too you might have there, but there are some less expensive than Gibson options here and they look so close to Gibson's they pass fine. Like $5USD instead of $12.

Latest Threads