NGD... And I need a little help

DJGranite

Reaction score
Hey all,
I don't usually make NGD posts, but I need some help sourcing some rare-ish parts
I just got a new to me SG....
It's a 1991 Gibson SG Celebrity limited edition 1 of 200.
a few issues though.
The original owner didn't care for the "tuxedo" look and changed the pick guard, truss rod cover, poker chip and knobs to black!
This is about half of what made it LE.
This is what makes it a limited edition.
Ebony color paint, gold hardware, ebony fretboard, White knobs and truss rod cover, poker chip and a white pickguard with the word Celebrity engraved between the neck pick up and the neck.
oh yeah, a stamp on the back of the headstock of a Top hat and cane with the words "Celebrity Series" .

Generally forums demand pics or it never happened...
00K0K_9moSkqhUjJu_600x450[1].jpg
00e0e_gRgp76NpxVF_600x450[1].jpg
00k0k_fzZYfLwzXuD_600x450[1].jpg
00G0G_7PZYCwygX15_600x450[1].jpg

this how she looks right now...

this is what I'm in search of,
jqlzmaqqwntfr3nlyjjq[1].jpg

did I mention they only made 200 of these?
you know, 28 years ago!
I realize I'm looking for a Needle in a haystack, but before I try to get a "trophy" place to try and engrave a pickguard, I thought I would beat the bushes a bit seeking an original.
So there it is.
Anyone got a line on one?????
PS. I know the tailpiece isn't original, it's from a 70's Les Paul, and I like the fine tuners.
I'll probably pick up a stop tailpiece and just leave it in the case.

Last edited:

lpfan1980

Reaction score
All i can say is i saw another one here a few months back THEY ROCK-best of luck getting the parts. :dude: :slash:

arcticsg

Reaction score
Nice SG! :)

Yeah it'd be nice to bring it back to original, but unless I could find or acquire original Gibson made parts for it, I wouldn't bother with it. Using aftermarket parts (or custom making them), to make it look original is just cheesy to me and my way of thinking.

To bad folks don't keep the parts with the guitar when they do mods like that. :(

Good luck, I hope you find them!

Mr6strings

Banned
Reaction score
It ' s not easy to find an engraved pickguard, you can send an e-mail to Lonnie at Creamtone support@creamtone.com . The font is the same than Les Paul font on a trussrod cover, only size is bigger but Lonnie can make the exact repro Celebrity pickguard.

Ripgut

Reaction score
It ' s not easy to find an engraved pickguard, you can send an e-mail to Lonnie at Creamtone support@creamtone.com . The font is the same than Les Paul font on a trussrod cover, only size is bigger but Lonnie can make the exact repro Celebrity pickguard.
Creamtone is an awesome outfit! Lonnie is very helpful! And their products are affordable compared to other shops!

DJGranite

Reaction score
Nice SG! :)

Yeah it'd be nice to bring it back to original, but unless I could find or acquire original Gibson made parts for it, I wouldn't bother with it. Using aftermarket parts (or custom making them), to make it look original is just cheesy to me and my way of thinking.

To bad folks don't keep the parts with the guitar when they do mods like that. :(

Good luck, I hope you find them!
I definitely would prefer original Gibson parts , but if I have to I will have them made .
and thanks , I have a feeling i'll need all the luck I can get in this search .

QUOTE="Mr6strings, post: 9357397, member: 118741"]
[/QUOTE]
Thanks , I'll contact him and see what he has to say .

i still see no pics...?
are you using your phone perhaps ? there are no links … pics are in the post. Not sure why you aren't seeing them .

No links for pictures.
See above ...

Creamtone is an awesome outfit! Lonnie is very helpful! And their products are affordable compared to other shops!
thanks for the vote of confidence . nice to know more than one person was happy with their work .

LocoTex

Reaction score
Links aren't highlighted. Did a copy and paste and it takes me to everthingsg.com and won't let me view the pictures.

KS 5150

Reaction score
There are a lot of vendors that sell white knobs. They may not be actual Gibson, but if they fit, who cares? I've bought from Guitar Fetish & they're a great, inexpensive option.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/4-White-Speed-Knobs-Set-of-Four_p_863.html

Or there's Stratosphere. These would have likely been off a Les Paul or SG Modern. They are knurled, so would look slightly different:

https://stratosphereparts.com/new-4-control-knobs-for-gibson-les-paul-6mm-shaft-push-on-speed-white-knurled/

For the pickguard, you could get something like this & see if it could be engraved or embossed:

https://www.amazon.com/Pickguard-Fits-Standard-Guitar-Full/dp/B0052AG42Q

EDIT: I see you don't want to go the trophy shop route. I did just that with getting 'RANDY RHOADS' engraved on a LP Custom pickguard & it turned out beautifully. They have improved their methods significantly since I last had something engraved.

There's always options, if you have time to look online. I just got a '74 Custom, and sourced all of the RR brass parts. It was a bit of a battle for some of them, but I found everything I need :thumb:

DJGranite

Reaction score
There are a lot of vendors that sell white knobs. They may not be actual Gibson, but if they fit, who cares? I've bought from Guitar Fetish & they're a great, inexpensive option.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/4-White-Speed-Knobs-Set-of-Four_p_863.html

Or there's Stratosphere. These would have likely been off a Les Paul or SG Modern. They are knurled, so would look slightly different:

https://stratosphereparts.com/new-4-control-knobs-for-gibson-les-paul-6mm-shaft-push-on-speed-white-knurled/

For the pickguard, you could get something like this & see if it could be engraved or embossed:

https://www.amazon.com/Pickguard-Fits-Standard-Guitar-Full/dp/B0052AG42Q

EDIT: I see you don't want to go the trophy shop route. I did just that with getting 'RANDY RHOADS' engraved on a LP Custom pickguard & it turned out beautifully. They have improved their methods significantly since I last had something engraved.

There's always options, if you have time to look online. I just got a '74 Custom, and sourced all of the RR brass parts. It was a bit of a battle for some of them, but I found everything I need :thumb:
I'm definitely keeping my options open and I'm not in a hurry, so for right now I'm checking forum classifieds, e-bay, reverb, well all the usual suspects for original stuff.
Just saw a pic of your 74 in the "Can't believe I own it " thread. Pretty sweet axe.
I'm a RR fan as well.
Had this one 30+ years, was bright and shiny when I got it , but I was brighter and shinier then too I suppose …. has served me well. I sometimes think of RR when I take it out of the case.

DSCN2035 (2).JPG

it ain't no Custom, it's pretty beat nowadays, but it's always gotten the job done.

moreles

Reaction score
Nice. Good luck finding an original pickguard. I doubt if any exist, given the limited original run. With laser engraving, you should be able to get an exact repro as long as you supply a good image and specify size and placement correctly. If Les Paul ever accepted an SG, it would be a black "tux" style like yours. Get a white 3PU Custom to go with it in and you'll have Mary covered, too.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I'm definitely keeping my options open and I'm not in a hurry, so for right now I'm checking forum classifieds, e-bay, reverb, well all the usual suspects for original stuff.
Just saw a pic of your 74 in the "Can't believe I own it " thread. Pretty sweet axe.
I'm a RR fan as well.
Had this one 30+ years, was bright and shiny when I got it , but I was brighter and shinier then too I suppose …. has served me well. I sometimes think of RR when I take it out of the case.

View attachment 427373
it ain't no Custom, it's pretty beat nowadays, but it's always gotten the job done.
It's very cool! Congrats on a great guitar :thumb:

DJGranite

Reaction score
Creamtone 60° bevel White pickguard :

That is a quality looking pickguard, I wonder if they do laser engraving …. have to shoot them an email ….

Nice. Good luck finding an original pickguard. I doubt if any exist, given the limited original run. With laser engraving, you should be able to get an exact repro as long as you supply a good image and specify size and placement correctly. If Les Paul ever accepted an SG, it would be a black "tux" style like yours. Get a white 3PU Custom to go with it in and you'll have Mary covered, too.
yeah, been searching the net but zero luck. I'm going start the process of having the parts made most likely. I did try to contact Gibson's repair and restoration dept. waiting for a call back .
Always wanted one of the White 3PU Customs, closest I've gotten was a 99 Epi MIK version with SDuncan JB, 59, and a Jazz. It was stolen. Too bad.

It's very cool! Congrats on a great guitar :thumb:
Thanks

Cool SG Standard Exclusive ,

:cheers2:

yup, that's what I'd like to be able to have mine look like.
So..... how much did you want for the parts???

:cool2:

Latest Threads