NGD, and a question - 2014 R8

JoeCeffus

Reaction score
I recently bought this mint condition 2014 R8, with the original case, COA etc. The finish is gloss lemon burst. The neck is not super chunky - pretty similar to a PRS "wide fat" - maybe just a bit less tapered than a wide fat. Plays and sounds great to me. Compared to my stock '06 LP Standard, the R8's pickups are more chimey and clear, the frets are much better (the 06 has the good ol railroad tie fretwork Gibson excels at), and the volume and tone controls are better - they turn more easily and the rolloff of volume and tone is faster.

Question: The binding along the fret board seems to have a bit of the stain from the neck absorbed into it. Doesn't bother me a bit, I'm just curious if that's a characteristic of the construction (perhaps the stain and type of binding used on reissues?). Tried to capture this in one of the photos.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 60
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 43
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 38
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 53
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 56

Farquad

Reaction score
The bleed is good. It'll happen more as you play her. Congrats!

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Historically correct aniline dye - I had a 2008 R8 reissue and was gutted that she never bled :)

My 2013 R8 looks exactly like that.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Really beautiful R8 there,brother! Let it Bleed.....:cool:

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
The binding along the fret board seems to have a bit of the stain from the neck absorbed into it. ... I'm just curious if that's a characteristic of the construction (perhaps the stain and type of binding used on reissues?). Tried to capture this in one of the photos.

It certainly is. My last RI was a G0 that had faded to pink all along both sides. My R8 has bleed too but it's more of a thin line along the edge. I think mine will get more saturated over time—right now it's really new. Most RIs I've played have had a little to a lot of that bleed. I'm speaking mainly of the '13 and '14 models.

bblooz

Reaction score
Yes, the aniline dyes will bleed into the binding over time, just as it did on the originals. Congrats on your new guitar!

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very pretty Joe! Congrats, HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

Latest Threads