NGD and a hello to my favorite forum!

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
Hi there!

Short version: My new 2017 traditional. Pics at the bottom. Never been happier in my life.

It's a long story, sorry ;-).
First of all, this is my first post, though I've been lurking since I was a kid (many years before I made an account.) I like this forum more than "the other one" because the people here seem way more friendly and less cork-sniffy. So hello to all my future friends from all parts of the world and at all ages!

Short introduction: I'm Matt from Poland, I'm 24 years old and have been dreaming of this day since I was 8 years old. I own many guitars, but most are what you'd call budget, though I am sure I got the "best of the bunch", as we all do. I don't deserve them anyway, I'm barely a decent player. I do love them all, however!

Boring part starts here, you may skip it, I'm pretty emotional about it, so I wrote a lot, sorry.
When I was 8, I first googled (actually, Yahoo'd) "electric guitar" and this absolutely gorgeous '59 appeared. While most of my friends wanted consoles and toys, all I ever wanted was to play that thing, some day...
I almost forgot about it, until around 2005 my dad bought himself an acoustic guitar and never played it. One day I just picked it up and started to learn. By the end of the day I could play "Knockin' on Heaven's door" and was hooked since then. Back then I also discovered the one thing that made me who I am today - Guns N' Roses. (Believe it or not, before that almost all I listened to was classical music...)

During that time I also bought my first CD - Aerosmith's "Pump". The inside cover of that album is a nice poster - on it Joe Perry has a beautiful black LP Standard. That, combined with my new favorite band with two major Gibson Players (I was always a fan of "the other guy" more... in this case Brad Whitford and Izzy Stradlin) got me hooked for life. My favorite finish was always Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

This has always been unreachable - people my age in my country save up for a year to buy an Epiphone (never played one that I liked), but this year I got a pretty big scholarship at my college.
Of course, being "that guy who always talks about one day owning a real Les Paul, yes everyone knows about it" I knew immediately where that money was going...

Having talked it over with my parents, the deal was 50/50, meaning I pay half, which was just enough for me to be able to do it.
Unfortunately, as we all know, life happens (or rather, I had to spend a bit on what it was actually meant for - I am studying 3d graphic design, a lot of gadgets necessary), and I wasn't able to do it.

The last few LP's in my country were disappearing fast.
Originally, at my local music store, there was a 2016 Wine Red Traditional. It had the typical Gibson sloppy finish problems, but apart from that was amazing. Pretty heavy, though.
Last week, someone finally bought it, after 2 years of me visiting it almost every day.
My heart was totally broken.

And then... last week my Dad took me on a business trip. He'd emailed and called all the music stores in the country and found out where the last one in the country was. In the finish that I wanted to top it off... I've pretty much given up on joy since that 2016 disappeared.
On the way back home, halfway across the country we had an unexpected stop. We walked into the music store and there she was - my future dream come true.

I tested it for almost 2 hours, checked for typical Gibson sloppiness (this isn't hate, I love Gibson and am a fanboy, but having tested around 100 over a period of 12 years I come to expect certain unavoidable flaws, especially around where the body meets the fretboard.)

The other one that got my attention was a 2017 Goldtop Classic. While the pickups seemed a bit more attractive to me at the time, I hated the piece of wood used for the fretboard (incredibly dry and ugly for a gibson) and strongly dislike the slim taper neck. Maybe I'll get it anyway, once I pay this one off and save up. There isn't a big market for high-end guitars here.

When I picked up the traditional - not knowing I was going to walk out with it - I just knew it, it was the best one I've ever played. Everything was perfect. For me, the #1 thing is a comfortable neck. You can change everything hardware wise - but the neck is always gonna be the same. It's a bit thinner than the 2016 fat 50's one, but still pretty thick and a bit less rounded. Feels amazing.
Anyway, I was pretty much ready to cry there and then, and then my dad comes up to me, says "Pay whatever you have left, the rest is on me". I broke down on the spot. I will of course repay my Dad for this as soon as I get a job (let's hope that's soon.) and will be forever grateful for this. I know it's shameful to depend on your parents at this age - I will make it up to them. I could go on and on about how much they've supported me, including giving me half the house to build a home studio in (don't worry, it's a huge house) on the condition that I (of course) pay for the construction.

End of the boring part.

So, after 2/3 of my life - my biggest dream has come true.
Here she is - this absolutely gorgeous work of art, perfect from the bottom to the top. You can feel the quality in every little detail. The only thing I can't get used to is the 9's it comes stock with, but it plays so nicely that I'm worried about moving to my preferred set of NYXL 10's.

Here She is... haven't named her yet, though I'm 50/50 between "Melissa" (Mellisa Reese, the current keyboard player for GN'R) and "Kat" (after my friend who is always there for me) right now, subject to change. You probably all know the specs by now, but all I can say is I've learned to love the no plastic ring look and am very happy with the 57's.

Here she is next to my Edwards LPC.

More...

My "Les Paulish" guitars [sorry for the lame pun, I'll see myself out]

And the best feeling ever, waking up to see this...

Here's me, one happy fella, the other guitar is a battered 2012 50's tribute that belongs to a guy I sometimes jam with. In the background is the worst amplifier ever created.

And here's my guitar collection, 2 of them aren't mine - the white strat and the 50's tribute.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Matt from Poland (a Country I REALLY like) and :welcome:

CONGRATS on your new Les Paul. It's BEAUTIFUL.

What sort of music do you play?

And nonsense about not deserving anything. Enjoy your gear
What he said! We're all pretty shameless in here...

Some more than others!

Where's alvin when you need him!??

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
Thank You all for the kind welcome and words :). I'm a long-time lurker, so the whole Alvin situation is also hilarious to me. :applause:
Right now I feel like I've joined the "cool kids club" since I can finally post here ;-).

@cherrysunburst00 Oh just the typical classic rock stuff we all love and enjoy here most likely. Favorites are Gary Moore, Paul Kossoff and Steve Marriott. I think we'd get along musically. :cheers2:

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank You all for the kind welcome and words :). I'm a long-time lurker, so the whole Alvin situation is also hilarious to me. :applause:
Right now I feel like I've joined the "cool kids club" since I can finally post here ;-).

@cherrysunburst00 Oh just the typical classic rock stuff we all love and enjoy here most likely. Favorites are Gary Moore, Paul Kossoff and Steve Marriott. I think we'd get along musically. :cheers2:
Oh heck yeah. We's Forum Brothers noe :h5:

You have a fantastic Dad. I was Blessed with one too (and my Mom)

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
Y'all are such a bunch of great people. It's nice to be here.

@arthurkandziora :rofl: thank Clapton not many people will get that, appreciate it!
@cherrysunburst00 will send You some cool young bands I think you'll enjoy tomorrow. Gotta pick out the best ones. ;)

By the way, honest to Clapton, I haven't tuned this thing since I tested it in the store, and it's still perfectly in tune... and as You can imagine it's been used quite a lot since then!

Here's one last pic, in the store, with the Classic I decided not to get. Quite a stunner too :)