NGD: Alright, now I understand the whole Strat thing

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
I've never been able to bond with Strats. I've played a ton of them and owned seven, from Squier Mini up to Custom Shop. They've all come up short in my two biggest make-or-break criteria: tone and neck profile. I prefer power in both feel and sound and just never found a Strat that delivered enough of it - until now.

This is a "2018 Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition Ancho Poblano Stratocaster," in Lake Placid Blue with a Journeyman Relic finish. I've got to nickname it "Pancho," right?

I tried one in a shop and was blown away. These have the '51 Nocaster neck profile, the chunkiest U shape you can get stock from Fender. Makes for a best-of-both-worlds feel: The hand-filling neck of an old Tele combined with the comfortable contours and "wieldability" of a '56 Strat body shape. The body is roasted alder (roasting is said to remove moisture to more closely mimic vintage wood) and very light.

20190514_214219.jpg

I've always believed that thicker necks improve sustain, and this thing has it in spades - more so than any other Strat I've played. It has Jescar (Edit: 57110) frets, so it's a train track for sure (they also add a brown stain line on either sides of each fret, apparently to mimic finger cheese. Relicing is such a bizarre thing to me).

20190514_214034.jpg

Speaking of the relic job, it's actually quite subtle overall so I don't mind it. There is consistent checking all over the body but it's only visible up close and at the perfect angle, and the dings were kept to a minimum.

20190514_214138.jpg

The one I first played in the shop was Vintage Blonde and way more beat up than this one, to the point that I didn't want to buy it even though I was floored by its feel and sound. I ordered this one online because it looked to be in much better shape and is the slightly darker shade of Lake Placid Blue that I have always liked.

20190514_214345.jpg

The pickups on this guitar are out of this world! Hand wound and signed by Josefina Campos (I guess she's the new Abigail Ybarra?) and progressively hotter from neck to bridge. They tweaked the heights on the staggered poles on the neck and middle, and the bridge has flat poles so it can be raised higher.

20190514_214315.jpg

The result is incredible, the most rockin' Strat pickups I've found with a really impressive range of tones. The bridge has a lot of Tele character. Mike Lewis explained about the unique design of the pickups (apparently in conjunction with Tim Shaw) at NAMM 2015, where the guitar debuted.

Overall, just a killer guitar. I have stayed up way too late playing it the last two nights because I can't put it down. If you're like me - a Les Paul guy who never quite clicked with Strats - this is definitely one to check out!

:jam:

Last edited:

DarrellV

Nice boy..... Sharp as a bowlin' ball! !
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did someone say 'Tim Shaw?' :shock:

Very nice, OP! i like the color too! :dude:

Hey @Crotch ! New Strat convert in here! Say hello...:h5:

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
I was the same way with strats, only one I ever bonded with was a MIJ squire, and once I got my first Gibson the honeymoon was over.

My current is a US body with an all parts fat neck on it. The neck, aside from being comfortable, really does (I think) add some mass to the sound. My tele has the same profile neck and it too is a monster. Either there’s really something to the fat neck
phenomenon, or we’re both touched in the head.

Congrats on the NGD, yours is a stunner to boot!

joff

Reaction score
HNGD...i have 6100 frets on both my Strat and Tele...they're great! :jam:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Nice! Congratulations!

Ancho Poblano is a bit redundant. Both the same chile pepper pod; ancho is the dried, poblano is fresh.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I've never been able to bond with Strats. I've played a ton of them and owned seven, from Squier Mini up to Custom Shop. They've all come up short in my two biggest make-or-break criteria: tone and neck profile. I prefer power in both feel and sound and just never found a Strat that delivered enough of it - until now.

This is a "2018 Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition Ancho Poblano Stratocaster," in Lake Placid Blue with a Journeyman Relic finish. Gotta be nicknamed "Pancho," right?

View attachment 379661

I tried one in a shop and was blown away. These have the '51 Nocaster neck profile, the chunkiest U shape you can get stock from Fender. Makes for a best-of-both-worlds feel: The hand-filling neck of an old Tele combined with the comfortable contours and "wieldability" of a '56 Strat body shape. The body is roasted alder (roasting is said to remove moisture to more closely mimic vintage wood) and very light.

View attachment 379662

I've always believed that thicker necks improve sustain, and this thing has it in spades - more so than any other Strat I've played. It has Jescar 6100 frets, so it's a train track for sure (they also add a brown stain line on either sides of each fret, apparently to mimic finger cheese. Relicing is such a bizarre thing to me).

View attachment 379663

Speaking of the relic job, it's actually quite subtle overall so I don't mind it. There is consistent checking all over the body but it's only visible up close and at the perfect angle, and the dings were kept to a minimum.

View attachment 379664

The one I first played in the shop was Vintage Blonde and way more beat up than this one, to the point that I didn't want to buy it even though I was floored by its feel and sound. I ordered this one online because it looked to be in much better shape and is the slightly darker shade of Lake Placid Blue that I have always liked.

View attachment 379665

The pickups on this guitar are out of this world! Hand wound and signed by Josefina Campos (I guess she's the new Abigail Ybarra?) and progressively hotter from neck to bridge. They tweaked the heights on the staggered poles on the neck and middle and the bridge has flat poles so it can be raised higher.

View attachment 379670

The result is incredible, hands-down the most rockin' Strat pickups I've found, with a really impressive range of tones. The bridge has a lot of Tele character. Mike Lewis explained about the unique design of the pickups (which apparently occurred in conjunction with Tim Shaw) at NAMM 2015, where the guitar debuted.

Overall, just a killer guitar. I have stayed up way too late playing it the last two nights because I can't put it down. If you're like me - a Les Paul guy who never quite clicked with Strats - this is definitely one to check out!

:jam:
I started with Strats didnt get the lp thing until I bought my Epi now my Gibson and Fender are sitting next to each other :dude:

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
CORRECTION: I just found the shop floor traveler inside the COA folder, and this guitar was a custom order with 57110 frets. No wonder they feel so huge.

budg

Reaction score
Nice Strat. I have a 59 RI 2015 Journeyman relic (I think it was the first year for that finish) and love it. You are correct in saying the relicing is very subtile and only seen at certain angles.

jvin248

Reaction score

That's a great neck. I like chunky necks.

As for the pickups .. I've found that a mix of staggered and flat give the best Quack.

Designers comment about 'flat poles allow the pickup to be higher' is ... not right. The pickup can still only go as high as the E and e strings. Flat poles give you a mid-scoop -- which is classic Tele and P90s, especially with the higher winds they put on the bobbin. So I think you have the Strat setup I plan to do one of these days ... Strat neck and middle with a Tele bridge pickup.

There was a time I put away my Strats ... and then I got a Joyo American Sound pedal ($30 new). So try one of those someday.

lpfan1980

Reaction score

That's a great neck. I like chunky necks.

As for the pickups .. I've found that a mix of staggered and flat give the best Quack.

Designers comment about 'flat poles allow the pickup to be higher' is ... not right. The pickup can still only go as high as the E and e strings. Flat poles give you a mid-scoop -- which is classic Tele and P90s, especially with the higher winds they put on the bobbin. So I think you have the Strat setup I plan to do one of these days ... Strat neck and middle with a Tele bridge pickup.

There was a time I put away my Strats ... and then I got a Joyo American Sound pedal ($30 new). So try one of those someday.

Tele bridge pickup/ how does that sound ?thats pretty cool :D and was it a hard mod?

Leumas

Reaction score
I love strats, but I argue with them all the time. I hold out hope that one day I'll find the strat that I love without putting in at least one bucker.

I have one with two P90's, that thing roars, but not really a strat anymore, is it? :laugh2:

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I love strats, but I argue with them all the time. I hold out hope that one day I'll find the strat that I love without putting in at least one bucker.

I have one with two P90's, that thing roars, but not really a strat anymore, is it? :laugh2:
I like my Strats classic single picKups, my LP has 490s so it gives me roar and its got lots of sustain, classic mahogany back 1960 style skinny neck great neck buzz with sustain FUN CITY :Ohno: