NGD: A less-than-normal Les Paul

AaronE

Reaction score
I grabbed this 2018 LP Special Flame Top when CME posted it last week. Just happened to arrive at the exact same time as a Squier Paranormal Baritone Cabronita Telecaster I had pre-ordered! They make an unusual pair of uncommon guitars! Just got them unboxed, I'll be setting them up and plugging them in this afternoon.

Gibson_Squier_Open.jpg

Gibson_Squier_Boxes.jpg

Gibson_Squier_Cases.jpg

endial

Reaction score
Well, that should keep the GAS away for a minute.

Beauties, man.

BDW60

Reaction score
That double cut is so cool

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Both look awesome! The Squier might actually be a nice little investment, I heard the last Squier baritones went up in value.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it have cream binding?
That top is awesome

-chris

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
I grabbed this 2018 LP Special Flame Top when CME posted it last week. Just happened to arrive at the exact same time as a Squier Paranormal Baritone Cabronita Telecaster I had pre-ordered! They make an unusual pair of uncommon guitars! Just got them unboxed, I'll be setting them up and plugging them in this afternoon.

View attachment 553113
View attachment 553114
View attachment 553115
Doggie approves and so do I!

Been tempted to get a double cut.

I don't need another Lester, but I like the looks of those.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I really like that DC, the only thing that put me off was the initial price tag. I really wanted one. What’s your impression, what’s it like?

AaronE

Reaction score
Got some better pictures of the new DC and its flamey top in the day light!

DC_Front_Left.jpg

DC_Low_Angle.jpg

DC_Front_Bottom.jpg

With the other Gibson's in the room:
R0_DC_Angle.jpg

All_Les_Pauls.jpg
All_Gibsons.jpg

Up on the wall in its new home:
Wall_Straight.jpg

Wall_Angle.jpg

And just for good measure, here's a video showing off the figuring in the top:

AaronE

Reaction score
I really like that DC, the only thing that put me off was the initial price tag. I really wanted one. What’s your impression, what’s it like?
Here's my initial impression: It's neck heavy. It has a lot of neck dive, even for a DC. Once you get past that, it plays nice. The neck is pretty standard for a 1960 profile. Maybe a little slimmer than my R0. Sonically, the neck pickup is much brighter than the neck pickup in a Les Paul Standard. The bridge pickup is also a bit mellower, but not by as much as the neck pickup is brighter. Blending them together, you can get some nice, full mid-range sounds. I like it, it is different than anything else I have, but I would not say it is a guitar that would take over duties for a normal Les Paul.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh my, oh my, oh my! If that DC just had P-90s, it'd be damn near perfect! (Not that I'd refuse it as is, by any means....)

Latest Threads