NGD 97’ Flying V limited edition

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks good but what makes this the right one?

peterjc

Reaction score
Looks good but what makes this the right one?
The color first and foremost but also the slightly thicker neck on this one. Most V’s had super skinny necks that I tried and wasn’t a fan.

veeman

Reaction score
I prefer thicker neck's too. I got big farmer hands, just makes big necks easier for me to play.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Very nice!
Congrats on a great find.
I used to have a few Flying V in the past.
1982, 1990, 1991, 2001.

Are you going to do anything with the pickups?
When I had open coils on mine, I always added pickup rings. The wedge profile of the pickup rings offsets the neck to body angle to help make the top plane of the pickups parallel with the strings and also frames the pickups for a more finished aesthetic IMO.

Adding chrome covers without pickup rings also looks classic, but doesn't do anything for leveling them.

I always add pickup rings to the bridge pickup only on my SG with humbuckers and large guard to level the pickups with the strings for the same reasons as the Flying V.

Pictured below is the 2001 Flying V that I had in the past. It was originally ebony and I sent it out for a pro refinish to be stripped down and redone as a natural mahogany gloss. Pickup rings added.

The great thing about a Flying V is that it is the only guitar that doesn't require a stand.

Last edited:

peterjc

Reaction score
I prefer thicker neck's too. I got big farmer hands, just makes big necks easier for me to play.
Yea same they just feel comfortable. It’s not a thick neck on this one but it had a fraction more meat than the other skinny mini’s I tried. I’m sort of used to my 57’ Les Paul but can go back and forth to either. I’m not sure why Gibson think everyone wants skinny necks on V’s and Explorers! Without buying a reissue it’s hard to find them.

peterjc

Reaction score
Very nice!
1982, 1990, 1991, 2001.

When I had open coils on mine, I always added pickup rings. The wedge profile of the pickup rings offsets the neck to body angle to help make the top plane of the pickups parallel with the strings and also frames the pickups for a more finished aesthetic IMO.

Adding chrome covers without pickup rings also looks classic, but doesn't do anything for leveling them.

I always add pickup rings to the bridge pickup only on my SG with humbuckers and large guard to level the pickups with the strings for the same reasons as the Flying V.

Pictured below is the 2001 Flying V that I had in the past. It was originally ebony and I sent it out for a pro refinish to be stripped down and redone as a natural mahogany gloss. Pickup rings added.

The great thing about a Flying V is that it is the only guitar that doesn't require a stand.
I don’t like rings on V’s especially with the bigger pickguards, they just look wrong imo. I generally don’t like uncovered pickups especially on Les Pauls but they actually look cool on V’s so probably won’t be doing anything to it atm. Cheers

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Gibson put out a '67 V a couple of years back, I think it was for the Japanese market or something, one online guitar store still had a couple, one in sunburst and one in Cherry, and I wanted the Cherry one bad, it looks a lot like your V. The Cherry one looks like it sold, I did see the SB one was still there a couple of weeks ago when I looked, but I really liked the Cherry one. It had a pretty big neck profile too. Oh well, one day.....
Al

Dino

Reaction score
I have a 2012 '67 RI and a 2015 "Limited" (70's style) supposedly made for the Japanese market.
The neck on my 2012 is asymmetrical and feels really wide. I love the guitar but I struggle with that neck.
My 2015 has more of a '60's slim taper carve and feels really comfortable. It's more of what I'm used to.

Attachments

wmachine

Reaction score
I have a 2012 '67 RI and a 2015 "Limited" (70's style) supposedly made for the Japanese market.
The neck on my 2012 is asymmetrical and feels really wide. I love the guitar but I struggle with that neck.
My 2015 has more of a '60's slim taper carve and feels really comfortable. It's more of what I'm used to.
I have the same 2015 in classic white. I really like it!

Dino

Reaction score
Please let me know if you ever want to sell it. I promise to give it a good home.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
My 74 has a nice slightly slim/medium profile. Looks like the OPs pic but with the original witch hats.

Vees are so underrated. Playing it is so easy and natural when standing up. Great thicker SG style sounds. The 3 pot wiring circuit seems to impart a little bit of character to the guitar too.

Mine sounds like pure rock with some brandonwound t tops and 500k pots. Great for early 70s Stones, ACDC, Mott the Hoople, Bowie, whatever. Just play with the knobs and plug into a decent amp.

Congrats!

Moni

Reaction score

Moni

Reaction score
Very nice!
1982, 1990, 1991, 2001.

I don't mind how Vs look with pickup rings, covers on or off. people should be comfy with what they are playing.

As for the only guitar requiring no stand .... I have one of these, they come with 4 rubber feet on the bottom. Just stand them up in a corner and you're good to go.

I have the one on the far left and got it because Jeff Beck plays one. They're cheap enough to buy too on a whim.

bohemian-guitars-.jpg