NGD - '90 Greco SA-75

BadMongo

Reaction score
I know it's not a single cut, but y'all know this is where we talk MIJ in on here :laugh2:
This arrived yesterday - a 1990 Greco SA-75. I had an old MIK Epiphone Sheraton in college that I'd sold and I've wanted another proper semi-hollow ever since, was leaning toward a 335-style or one of those early Yamaha SAs with the cool different horns. I'd lost out on this auction but the winner dropped out, so I snatched it up. It's just a husk, but that's fine because I was going to replace the pots and wind some pickups for it anyway - I don't mind spending less and not having to do extra surgery on a semi-hollow. It went pretty cheap because it's got a repaired headstock break (which looks good and seems stable), it's a clear sound (so poly instead of nitro), and was listed as a "Gerco" :rofl:

Anyway, on with some pictures from the listing:
i-img1200x900-1631617238lrvcez19256.jpeg

i-img1200x900-1631617258lre3qk401681.jpeg

i-img1200x900-1631617245sgqicc401681.jpeg

i-img1200x900-1631617289cwhne7313113.jpeg

i-img1200x900-1631617282jderb0313098.jpeg

i-img1200x900-16316173402zcurl26303.jpeg

The neck was sprayed over the original color (which you can see on the serial) but matches well, though I'll probably take some of it down because it's not perfectly smooth. She's in really good shape other than the headstock repair, although it did get some imprints of the bubble wrap in the headstock finish when it got sent to Jauce unfortunately (which the internet says I can get out with some scratch x-2, otherwise I'll try to wet sand it down carefully and buff it back out) - I'll take a picture of that tomorrow to see if y'all have any ideas. Anyway, looking forward to getting it wired up with some good pots and caps, winding some low-wind A4s for it, getting it some fresh Gotoh hardware and everything. I've got some amber bell knobs, but I'm leaning toward maybe some black reflectors, might have to look at some pictures and see what I like the look of. Neck seems wider than my LPs but is a nice soft D shape, really comfy.

In the meantime, I slapped on the old hardware I'd pulled off the Burny (all of which I'll replace probably) and strung it up to be my "plunking around while watching TV with my wife" guitar:
20211007_202337.jpeg

Last edited:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I looked at that one too but forgot to chase it up. I already have a 335 that has been waiting to be shipped for ages.

Is the neck really cracked or just the finish?

Roxy13

Reaction score
What a fun project! Greco 335s are always so beautiful. I have a Clear Sound FA-95 that was truly in a shambles when I bought it and now it's almost like new again.

BadMongo

Reaction score
Much appreciated, y'all - I wasn't planning on getting any more guitars until I sold a couple, but it was calling my name - and yes excited to have a fun project that isn't my ongoing Yamaha refinish refret monster project :laugh2:

I looked at that one too but forgot to chase it up. I already have a 335 that has been waiting to be shipped for ages.

Is the neck really cracked or just the finish?
I mean this as nicely as possible but I'm glad you forgot about it :laugh2: but yup - definitely broke, although it doesn't look like it broke all the way through, and glue line looks good and tight and there's no angle deflection or anything.

Anyway, here's the bubble wrap sadness - they weren't in the listing pictures but were in the pictures from Jauce (which I unfortunately didn't save), didn't realize that they were actually imprinted in the finish until it got here, but I can't imagine they'll be too hard to buff or sand out, hopefully:
bubble_wrapped.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score
Wow, that's weird. I've received many guitars wrapped in bubble wrap and nothing like that has happened.

BadMongo

Reaction score
My suspicion is that it's because the neck and headstock got sprayed over with new finish after the repair - my cursory googling reported that it's more likely to happen with nitro, but can happen with poly too apparently, something to do with the bubble wrap plastics off gassing some of the components that go in them to keep them supple. It came off the back of the headstock with some super fine automotive polish and elbow grease, but the ones on the front are a bit more tenacious.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I guess wetsand with the finest grit that will do it and work it up to polish/buffing.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I mean this as nicely as possible but I'm glad you forgot about it

No problem. It is unlikely I would have bought it unless it was super cheap. I am looking at an international move soon so trying to get rid of things rather than accumulate more guitars. I wanted to send 2 to my family's house in Canada but I am struggling to find a good deal on a second guitar that I want. I was chasing a few specific ones but there are not many deals on YJ lately.

EG700

Reaction score
Much appreciated, y'all - I wasn't planning on getting any more guitars until I sold a couple, but it was calling my name - and yes excited to have a fun project that isn't my ongoing Yamaha refinish refret monster project :laugh2:

I mean this as nicely as possible but I'm glad you forgot about it :laugh2: but yup - definitely broke, although it doesn't look like it broke all the way through, and glue line looks good and tight and there's no angle deflection or anything.

Anyway, here's the bubble wrap sadness - they weren't in the listing pictures but were in the pictures from Jauce (which I unfortunately didn't save), didn't realize that they were actually imprinted in the finish until it got here, but I can't imagine they'll be too hard to buff or sand out, hopefully:
View attachment 564591
I had the exact same problem recently with a Fender Jazz Bass neck that I sent to Australia for repair. It came back looking just like that. I was very depressed about it for about 2 weeks. After seeking advice, I used firstly 1500 wet&dry followed by 2000, which leaves the surface smooth again but somewhat dull and matte, and then used Colgate toothpaste as a rubbing compound applied with a Gibson polishing cloth. Yes, toothpaste! That brought back the gloss, and it was as good as new! I did ultimately track down some auto bodyshop rubbing compound (also called cutting compound) from a paint shop, and this was as good, but no better, than using toothpaste. No minty freshness, either.

Because it was nitro, I was told to specifically avoid any kind of regular automotive polishes, especially ones with silicon in the formulation, because it can react with the nitro. Cutting compound is pure abrasive - there's no other additives. If you feel you need to then use polish, use a guitar polish. But it won't be needed.

Yes, toothpaste is silicaceous. But this is from diatomaceous dirt and is a biologically inert grit. It's not a chemical additive to the formulation, as in auto paintwork polishes.

Last edited:

BadMongo

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem recently with a Fender Jazz Bass neck that I sent to Australia for repair. It came back looking just like that. I was very depressed about it for about 2 weeks. After seeking advice, I used firstly 1500 wet&dry followed by 2000, which leaves the surface smooth again but somewhat dull and matte, and then used Colgate toothpaste as a rubbing compound applied with a Gibson polishing cloth. Yes, toothpaste! That brought back the gloss, and it was as good as new! I did ultimately track down some auto bodyshop rubbing compound (also called cutting compound) from a paint shop, and this was as good, but no better, than using toothpaste. No minty freshness, either.

Because it was nitro, I was told to specifically avoid any kind of regular automotive polishes, especially ones with silicon in the formulation, because it can react with the nitro. Cutting compound is pure abrasive - there's no other additives. If you feel you need to then use polish, use a guitar polish. But it won't be needed.

Yes, toothpaste is silicaceous. But this is from diatomaceous dirt and is a biologically inert grit. It's not a chemical additive to the formulation, as in auto paintwork polishes.
That's great - I may give that a shot - thank you!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have a lot of different polishes and my fav with both nitro and poly is Novus Light Scratch Remover!

I also have 3 different grits of polish from Stew Mac and Virtuoso polish.

BadMongo

Reaction score
I've got a whole set of menzerna compounds in bar form for the pipe making - my buffer is not exactly guitar-friendly though. I honestly might try to figure out a way to still use it - I wonder if I could suspend some in a lubricant and use it by hand.

EG700

Reaction score
I've got a whole set of menzerna compounds in bar form for the pipe making - my buffer is not exactly guitar-friendly though. I honestly might try to figure out a way to still use it - I wonder if I could suspend some in a lubricant and use it by hand.
#2000 wet&dry, followed by toothpaste. It works. No harm is caused to the finish.

BadMongo

Reaction score
#2000 wet&dry, followed by toothpaste. It works. No harm is caused to the finish.
I've got about two or three projects going that are going to need a little more oomph, I am definitely liking the toothpaste idea for the bubble marks though.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score

View attachment 564591

That right there tells you that guitar (or at least the headstock) is finished in lacquer.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
My fave polish is Maguire's car polishes.
Works great on lacquer.

Latest Threads