NGD! 90’s Les Paul Studio I Couldn’t Resist

InTheEvening

Reaction score
So I’ve been wanting a more stripped down Les Paul studio or tribute to add in my collection since selling my last one but couldn’t find one I loved enough to pull the trigger on….until now.:dude:

Just got this 1990 Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White.
DF409108-0-C8-E-41-B1-8-B75-0-B506-BAB13-F5.jpg

9-A7625-C2-936-F-40-C3-8-FEE-93576-BE8708-C.jpg

I always liked the white one with ebony board and gold hardware. Having heard how well regarded the 90’s studios are and wanting to try a “good wood era” LP, this quickly caught my attention. But what sealed the deal for me was the serial number. The guitar stamped to my birth year AND birth month, just days before I was born. Never planned on owning a birth year guitar but I guess I do now haha.

Still in the honeymoon phase, but very happy with it so far. It holds it’s own well with my higher end Lesters, def a great value. Made a video going of me over it in detail and demoing some sounds at 06:20 mark below. The 498T roars! Love it for the 80’s hard rock I like the play.

AJK1

Reaction score
So I’ve been wanting a more stripped down Les Paul studio or tribute to add in my collection since selling my last one but couldn’t find one I loved enough to pull the trigger on….until now.:dude:

I always liked the white one with ebony board and gold hardware. Having heard how well regarded the 90’s studios are and wanting to try a “good wood era” LP, this quickly caught my attention. But what sealed the deal for me was the serial number. The guitar stamped to my birth year AND birth month, just days before I was born. Never planned on owning a birth year guitar but I guess I do now haha.

Still in the honeymoon phase, but very happy with it so far. It holds it’s own well with my higher end Lesters, def a great value. Made a video going of me over it in detail and demoing some sounds at 06:20 mark below. The 498T roars! Love it for the 80’s hard rock I like the play.
You should wear in ears as your videos are great but the headphones look ridic

• Sad
Reactions: Who

InTheEvening

Reaction score
You should wear in ears as your videos are great but the headphones look ridic
Glad you liked the video thanks. :cheers2: Haha no joke, I’ve recently been looking for a replacement, these ear cans are running on a decade old now! All the studio quality ones I find seem to be bulky like these though. Gonna see if I can find some good quality in ear ones.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice !

Love the Alpine White, looks great when it Yellows.

Enjoy.
Seriously. Is that why some people buy white guitars?

I don't like white guitars or cars or shoes.
But if a white guitar turns yellow...now that would be cool!

I may have to re-think my color selection...

shickma0

Reaction score
Glad you liked the video thanks. :cheers2: Haha no joke, I’ve recently been looking for a replacement, these ear cans are running on a decade old now! All the studio quality ones I find seem to be bulky like these though. Gonna see if I can find some good quality in ear ones.
I have a set of Shure SE846s with some custom molded sleeves from Sensaphonics and they are phenomenal. The 846s come with bias inserts to basically do an analog EQ before the sound hits you ear, you can use them to get a super bland sound that is ideal for mixing and recording. They’re pricy, but in my opinion worth the price if you record and or gig often.

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I love Studios. I like the neck shape on them, and the simplicity. I also like the fingerboards - are they still ebony? They're just straight up Rock n Roll guitars. Congrats! :yesway:

Gridlock

Reaction score
I love Studios. I like the neck shape on them, and the simplicity. I also like the fingerboards - are they still ebony? They're just straight up Rock n Roll guitars. Congrats! :yesway:
I agree, and I really like Gibson Studio Les Pauls. I’ve owned quite a few Studios over the years and most were really nice guitars. Most had really nice finishes. I had a couple of Red Wine Studios with really beautiful tops.

Only select years and models of the Studio guitars had Ebony fretboards. I’m not aware of a current Studio model with an Ebony board.

Mine current Studio is from a special run in early 2000’s. I believe that these were called the Metallic series. Mine is a Coppertop. It has an Ebony board (no front fret markers - just markers the top side), a solid body (non-weight relieved), and a big ‘50s neck.

I’ve never seen another Studio like mine in person. The past few years, I’ve realized that I prefer bigger ‘50s neck guitars, so this Studio works for me.

BD6C6125-CEA0-4A11-9347-71699EF2900B.jpeg

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks guys! Appreciate all the kind words.:cheers2: Apologies for the delay I just came back from a trip to Boston to see Def Leppard/Motley Crue.
Show was already AMAZING, but I flipped out when I saw Vivian Campbell come out playing his white studio! He did quite a few songs with it too. He’s got much fancier Lesters but keeps that studio in rotation which speaks volumes to how great a nice studio can be.
He played Les Pauls all night including this white studio, a silverburst custom, a gorgeous black burst flame top standard, a faded burst standard, and gold top with p90s. (clip I took of him playing the studio below):dude:

Very nice! Great guitars. That color combo is getting hard to find too
Thanks! For sure, I’m so glad I found it when I did. I searched listings for months and missed a few but this is def the best I’ve found.

Seriously. Is that why some people buy white guitars?

I don't like white guitars or cars or shoes.
But if a white guitar turns yellow...now that would be cool!

I may have to re-think my color selection...
Oh for sure! And prob partly thanks to this legend and his nicely yellowed custom. :cool:
15-F92-FE7-739-F-4888-BD8-F-DB1-E9397380-D.jpg

congrats. i have a 90 studio also. mine is wine red. great guitars. i wont get rid of mine. its been with me a long time and plays great. enjoy!
Thanks! That’s awesome! I’ve heard so many great things about this 90’s studios and this does not dissapoint.

They look great as they age. My 97:

View attachment 626170
That looks awesome! Def a guitar well played in and loved. Looking forward to the finish getting a more yellowed butter cream color on mine.

Very nice. I’m still looking for one of those as well. I always thought the alpine white with ebony board looked great. Here’s my 93, also with an ebony board.
Wow! That’s a gorgeous Les Paul. I don’t see natural finish on studios often, with the ebony board it looks amazing. Like that it has some flame to it too. Hope you’re able to find the alpine white to pair with it. I looked for a while but def worth the wait.

I have a set of Shure SE846s with some custom molded sleeves from Sensaphonics and they are phenomenal. The 846s come with bias inserts to basically do an analog EQ before the sound hits you ear, you can use them to get a super bland sound that is ideal for mixing and recording. They’re pricy, but in my opinion worth the price if you record and or gig often.
Thanks! I’ll look into those. That’s good to know. I do have to do a lot of mixing for the videos I make, so that would be a really helpful feature for me.

Thanks! For sure! Something about that stripped down no frills look def has a rock n roll vibe. Unfortunately they don’t seem to have any current production ebony board ones. The closest is probably the Guitar Center Les Paul studio dark with a richlite board. Though I believe most white finish studio made from 90’s through early 2000’s had the ebony fretboard.

Nice !

Love the Alpine White, looks great when it Yellows.

Enjoy.
Thanks! Well said, I’m looking forward to it taking on the aged butter cream finish.

Congratulations, I love Studio’s with Ebony boards, the Alpine White looks great with the dark fretboard.

I also own a Studio with an Ebony board.

View attachment 626156
Thanks! And wow! I love those copper top studios! I had wanted one of these too but they’re so rare and hard to find at a decent price now, these and the alpine white ones were my favorites. There was a red top version of this I almost got but I preferred the copper, and blue top ones. One of the coolest studios made by Gibson. The uncovered pickups and no inlays looks awesome.

Last edited:

Latest Threads